A Quiet Place. I knew this was going to be rahtid after about 10 mins of watching, so I did the smart thing and watched it all.

The Blackcoat's Daughter.

fuck's sake, I really wanted to like this. it had so many of the right bits but it could've been a much better film, perhaps with just a few core changes and some general tightening. worst mistake: how in the fuck is the audience supposed to believe that 

"Joan" is Kat from a later time? they look fucking nothing like each other. ruins the whole added meaning they were going for there.

also that might've been the most boring anti-climactic exorcism imaginable.

while its main saving grace was that it was really unnerving at times thanks to Kiernan Shipka's acting in certain scenes, some carefully added effects would have gone a long way towards creating something more like terror. a rare case of fx actually being needed to add flavour.

Some netflix,

Who took Johnny. 

Really fucked up stuff. I'ts like they could solve this but don't want to , disturbing doc

Ken Burns Vietnam doc. 

Learning so much

fuck's sake, I really wanted to like this. it had so many of the right bits but it could've been a much better film, perhaps with just a few core changes and some general tightening. worst mistake: how in the fuck is the audience supposed to believe that 

"Joan" is Kat from a later time? they look fucking nothing like each other. ruins the whole added meaning they were going for there.

while its main saving grace was that it was really unnerving at times thanks to Kiernan Shipka's acting in certain scenes, some carefully added effects would have gone a long way towards creating something more like terror. a rare case of fx actually being needed to add flavour.

natas liah

Lazy weekend movie round up.

Fly Away Home (1996) - Revisited a favorite from childhood. Daniels, Paquin, and the supporting cast are wonderful, gorgeous cinematography by Caleb Deschanel and understated soundtrack by Mark Isham. Easily one of the least heavy handed and saccharine family films I have ever seen.

Amelie (2001) - Finally got around to this one. Nice way to clear my mind from the weary world of current events. Heavy dose of whimsy, color, and joy.

The Last Jedi (2017) - Lot of mixed but no strong feelings about this one, plenty to discuss, rant about, and question but overall I enjoyed it. Didn't know how to feel for the first 2/3 or so but it finished strongly enough. Have no idea what the hell comes next though, uncertainty looms but not in the piercing cliffhanger manner of Empire Strikes Back.

Tarzan (1999) - Kiddo picked this one. This was better than I remember. Doesn't drag, emotional themes are on point, and Phil Collins does his thing well. A remnant of the late 90s extreme sports craze, Tony Hawk was cited as an influence to Tarzan's 'style.' Flora & fauna inaccuracies are a moot point. Interestingly one of the more ingenious and deaths of a villain in the Disney canon.

Edited by joshuatx

I watched The Vanishing with Jeff Bridges and Kiefer Sutherland and Nancy Travis and Sandra Bullock from '93 and it was surprisingly not terrible. I liked what they were going for and a few parts of it were genuinely good and interesting (well written for the most part, nice turns for a story like that) but tonally it had a few pretty strange scenes that sorta took the whole film down quite a few notches (the final scene, maybe a minute long, really is terrible). Not sure Bridges was the best guy for the role, either. 90s thrillers are always fun though, this one is no exception.

sicario 2 soldado 

a movie made from spare parts. the visual aesthetic of no country for old men diluted a thousand times over and combined with any operator movie from the mid 2000s. ford f-150 classics, floodlights, low bass tones of dread while men load guns, everything shot in blue twilight so the movie must take place either in one night or over a month. scenes where everything is so dark and the white point is so bright that the contrast gives you a migraine. dialogue like "we're going to start a war. with who? with everyone" said in a meeting by a supposed secretary of state. people see movies like this and think that this is how the world operates. an unintentionally hilarious scene near the end where a character has been shot in the head, is driving a truck down a desert highway, bleeding out, throws a grenade into a lone car full of random bad guys which then explodes all while very serious and somber music plays on the soundtrack. the final line of dialogue is "so i heard you want to be a sicario day of soldado™?". 

agree, 

Good sound track though., 

So many films bite David Lynch. His pacing. Im just starting to realize how huge an effect he's had on film in the last 20 years

i watched two comedy specials by netflix. annihilation by patton oswalt and nanette by some lesbian from australia. two completely different people but their routines are identical in essence. half of the set are really weak but borderline affable jokes and another half turns sharply into a heavy and thoroughly depressing ted talk about how horrible and difficult their lives were/are. felt kinda like if yad vashem's main entrance was deviously disguised as a friendly, indie and cool pub with brand signs of local craft beers and neat hand made stuff. absolutely fucking idiotic.

Edited by eugene

sicario 2 soldado 

a movie made from spare parts. the visual aesthetic of no country for old men diluted a thousand times over and combined with any operator movie from the mid 2000s. ford f-150 classics, floodlights, low bass tones of dread while men load guns, everything shot in blue twilight so the movie must take place either in one night or over a month. scenes where everything is so dark and the white point is so bright that the contrast gives you a migraine. dialogue like "we're going to start a war. with who? with everyone" said in a meeting by a supposed secretary of state. people see movies like this and think that this is how the world operates. an unintentionally hilarious scene near the end where a character has been shot in the head, is driving a truck down a desert highway, bleeding out, throws a grenade into a lone car full of random bad guys which then explodes all while very serious and somber music plays on the soundtrack. the final line of dialogue is "so i heard you want to be a sicario day of soldado™?". 

I looked up a bus  once, and there was an advert for Sicario 2. I had to double take as possibly the most pointless sequel ever made. The first film was never meant to be carried on, it was a snapshot of Cuidad Juarez and trafficking. 

I did see it though, did you notice all the vending machines were empty during one scene? The director implying you fat bastards or what? Josh Brolin walks around like a marvel super villain in this. 

^^^ except it doesn't look good at all. 

MV5BMTkxMDAxNDUyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTc3

i was in the mood to watch something "bad" but holy shit- i was not ready for this. i've realized that hollywood bad makes me angry rather than even offering the type of b-movie entertainment i sometimes look for: this was beyond annoying. both cara and that guy were fucking annoying as these two cocky "teen-type" bounty hunters or whatever they're supposed to be just surely and certainly moving from set piece to set piece to recover this small thing that shits diamond colored balls and make quick witted jokes either about said creature needs "to be taken shopping with me" or how that dude just can't resist how cute cara looks when she's mad- all whilst evading alien hunters trying to recovering said thing and talking to some presidential black dude on a view finder because- you know- they're late and shouldn't be mucking about.

i turned it off around when they were in a spaceship and clive owen is trying to figure out what the avatar type creatures that use the diamond ball turds has to say about- well, what the hell they use those diamond ball turds for. 

i hated everything about this film: the music, the actors (all of them), the cgi, the sets, the costumes and the ripoff star wars creatures.

oh and luc besson is making another lucy, anna and colombiana or rather; the same variation of la femme nikita with leon: the professional powers. in a way, bravo for making a career out of making one movie for almost 3 decades now. 

Still haven't seen Hereditary and went to the movies today but it wasn't playing anymore. So I watched the new Ant Man and it was good fun, lots of silly action and humor as you'd expect. #heroeswithhearts #thatguywithahugeforeheadistooweird #MySubatomicRomance #PaulRudd4Life

It looks like Terry Gilliam's new movie does exist after all

I remember watching the documentary "Lost in La Mancha" back in 2002.  A pleasant surprise to see the movie has been finished after all this time.