All the Halloween films except for the first one are rubbish. The third is a fun oddity but otherwise the bar they have to clear is Busta Rhymes doing karate.

Season of the Witch was pretty sinister. I hated it as a kid but it grew on me over the years. 

seriously if you’re into horror go see hereditary. one of the most confident debut movies I’ve ever seen. makes the witch look like a student film.

Just want to echo this. Just saw it anf thoroughly enjoyed.

seriously if you’re into horror go see hereditary. one of the most confident debut movies I’ve ever seen. makes the witch look like a student film.

Just want to echo this. Just saw it anf thoroughly enjoyed.

Why you gotta diss the witch though

Damn, I really want to see that, but it's not showing anywhere, it'll probably leak before it hits the cinemas. Oh the joys of living on the outskirts of things.

I saw it on at the Dendy as I was walking past it last night. will probably see it soon.

meanwhile, I watched It Comes At Night. unexpectedly good, even if a little too bare-bones for its own good.

Edited by usagi

Just got back from Hereditary....hooooooo boy. Normally I don't give a fuck about seeing things in a theater versus home viewing but there are some sound-dependent elements in this one that work really well in a proper sound rig.

God damn was waiting for this one to come out on blu ray. might have to go cinema either very late or very early.

Ozon's latest Body Double.

Dead Ringers with The Neon Demon with a lead who looks like a bloke out of Westlife. Was like a glass fronted flat in Angel to allow us to see the modern torments of a troubled person. Everyone in this film sneers like a cannibal who has not eaten for months and is looking at human flesh.

Givememy£12backCurzonOxford/10

Also first time at a Curzon, is it an indie or not? It feels like a winebar with a cinema inside.

Just got back from Hereditary....hooooooo boy. Normally I don't give a fuck about seeing things in a theater versus home viewing but there are some sound-dependent elements in this one that work really well in a proper sound rig.

God damn was waiting for this one to come out on blu ray. might have to go cinema either very late or very early.

This looks v good.

Ozon's latest Body Double.

Dead Ringers with The Neon Demon with a lead who looks like a bloke out of Westlife. Was like a glass fronted flat in Angel to allow us to see the modern torments of a troubled person. Everyone in this film sneers like a cannibal who has not eaten for months and is looking at human flesh.

Givememy£12backCurzonOxford/10

Also first time at a Curzon, is it an indie or not? It feels like a winebar with a cinema inside.

No, come to the Unicorn in Abingdon.

see it on a big screen with a good projector. there are a bunch of scenes, especially near the end, that rely on very subtle tricks of the light and playing with the way the eye adjusts to lowlight. extremely well done, I’ve never seen anything quite like it in a horror film before. I’m sure on Blu Ray there will be artifacting or noise.

Picked up the Criterion blu-ray of Beyond the Hills yesterday. Happy they're finally putting out Mungiu films (although they have yet to release his best).

Had seen the film a couple times before but my reaction to it is different every time. As well, Mungiu's interview and the doc they added was quite enlightening. I recommend this film highly.

see it on a big screen with a good projector. there are a bunch of scenes, especially near the end, that rely on very subtle tricks of the light and playing with the way the eye adjusts to lowlight. extremely well done, I’ve never seen anything quite like it in a horror film before. I’m sure on Blu Ray there will be artifacting or noise.

I second this. It was noticeable at times that only some of the people in the theater were even detecting some of the details in the last section of the film. Really well done.

Crap. I'm going to get so much hate for this but, god, I really, really disliked it. It's very strange - all the elements for what should be an amazeballs horror film are there: great acting, great direction, sound design was impeccable, intricate plot that doesn't spoon feed the audience, etc. But. . . yeah, I almost fell asleep. Two people next to my wife and I left the theater about halfway through, and I found myself insanely jealous of them after the movie was over. 

My initial thought upon leaving was: "that film would have been the most terrifying horror film ever if David Lynch had directed it"  My second thought was: "Should I ask for my money back?"

-sideways 8 Lynch's/10

*prepares flameshield*

weird. you aren’t alone though. people in my screening were laughing hysterically through a lot of it. couple of walk outs. audience seemed bored. I couldn’t have been more engaged. and I’m not a fan of the new prestige horror films, for the most part. the a24 house style doesn’t generally appeal to me. but everything came together in this one. I knew I was in good hands after that big moment early in the film, where the reveal shot is withheld for so much time that you figure it’s never coming, then it appears and it’s shocking. horror is a visceral thing, very subjective.

Edited by zaphod

And this is why I try to avoid seeing films in the cinema.

weird. you aren’t alone though. people in my screening were laughing hysterically through a lot of it. couple of walk outs. audience seemed bored. I couldn’t have been more engaged. and I’m not a fan of the new prestige horror films, for the most part. the a24 house style doesn’t generally appeal to me. but everything came together in this one. I knew I was in good hands after that big moment early in the film, where the reveal shot is withheld for so much time that you figure it’s never coming, then it appears and it’s shocking. horror is a visceral thing, very subjective.

Yeah, 100% with you on this. I had the same experience with Lost Highway (which I hold to be one of the most terrifying things I've ever seen) - people were laughing at times that seemed utterly incongruous with what I was experiencing. It really is subjective - and I think (even for myself) a different day/mindframe could totally change the experience.

I'm very glad you enjoyed it - I feel like it's one of those things that either clicks or doesn't - and when it does, it's gotta be incredibly compelling. . . actually makes me think a little bit about The Shining (which I suspect had a similar divide). 

@Gocab - I know you're being somewhat facetious but there are definitely certain things that probably benefit from being in the theater. If this movie sounds up your alley, I would wholeheartedly recommend watching it on the big screen (even though I didn't prefer it). Horror is best when it's large and looming, and you can't press pause or open the curtains or escape to the kitchen for a snack.  

Just want to add:

mostly a minor thing but it really added some weight to it that they bothered to crack open a copy of the Lemegeton and actually get the symbol and it's attached demon right

34774993_1945084182176847_14318691722366

Absolute gem, first and only Irish Kung-Fu film ever made (probably not but who cares)...story goes he made it as a showreel of his talents when a Chinese film company showed intrest in casting him for a role. Hopefully the value isn't lost on non-Irish audiences. Best enjoyed with some mates and inebriation.

Absolute gem, first and only Irish Kung-Fu film ever made (probably not but who cares)...story goes he made it as a showreel of his talents when a Chinese film company showed intrest in casting him for a role. Hopefully the value isn't lost on non-Irish audiences. Best enjoyed with some mates and inebriation.

looks awes

watched upgrade because it was playing at a more convenient time than hereditary but will try and catch hered next week if it's still available. 

upgrade was v stoopid but i was actually caught off guard with the twist whoa.

still stupid though

The best part of that film is when he crashes his car but it wasn't in the script, he just crashed his car and they kept it in.