91-VLJZRFoL._SX300_.jpg

i remember watching this as a long time ago as a kid, but this re-watch really soured my opinion of it.

Spoiler

firstly, i found the dad really annoying. from the eye patch to his demeanor. the film even begins with scenes from famine from around the world and people gorging themselves with food at a restaurant before getting the heads up that human society is collapsing before captain eye patch decides who can come with him and the fam to some farm somewhere. 

then the rape. the director really waited for the wife to get rapped like 3 times before he decided "and then you'll come in and shoot the rapists".  each scene, removed from the context of the film probably would just stand out as a cheesy scene, but after being strung together with edits and music - it didn't work for me.

movieposter_en.jpg

this was really stupid. at one point, the documentary attempts to prove that the nazi's captured a triangular shaped UFO that has been the basis of a lot of the advancements in space and aeronautical travel. how do they prove this? most agencies around the world have a space program that has a triangle shape in their logo. see that isosceles triangle on the NASA logo? that's a shoutout to the UFOs

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQk-a8jHUntRRS2CvuY4qO

fake ethnographic documentary purporting to show a native tribe in africa that sacrifices a virgin annually to appease a large gorilla. this film became a hit, despite clearly being made up of footage from various films and occasionally being shot in a studio, and convinced king kong producer merian cooper that "gorillas plus sexy women in peril equals enormous profits". 

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2022 at 6:26 PM, Squee said:

The Card Counter

I love the cynicism of Paul Schrader.

in a strange way it's a kind of life-giving/life-affirming cynicism. I don't know how exactly.

3 minutes ago, perunamuusi said:

Licorice Pizza. Quite possibly a 10

Ok. Convince someone who really doesn’t want to watch this movie because it looks like Almost Famous without rock and roll… and because of title.
Btw, Phantom Thread and Boogie Nights are my favorite PTA flicks. 

2 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Ok. Convince someone who really doesn’t want to watch this movie because it looks like Almost Famous without rock and roll… and because of title.
Btw, Phantom Thread and Boogie Nights are my favorite PTA flicks. 

I haven't got the time or inclination to reply to this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That movie isn't available anywhere to insert into my eye and earholes, so this far it's the worst film experience for me this year by a mile. Close to traumatic.

Edited by Silent Member

5 hours ago, Silent Member said:

Eternals

Absolute trash 0/100000

I'm about 1/2way through this thing... I'm usually really forgiving when it comes to Marvel stuff (I can accept that it's going to be a lot of bang whizz smash) but .. it's proving difficult to actually complete this one. There are elements there I feel like I would really love (treatment of superheroes as literal gods, lots of interesting twists on who is "good" vs "bad"), but somehow literally everything just feels ... turgid. Like I'm wading through a peat bog with thick gauze over my eyes and I'm wondering if I should keep going or just sit down and accept that this might be all there is....

• Big Brain 1

7 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

I'm about 1/2way through this thing... I'm usually really forgiving when it comes to Marvel stuff (I can accept that it's going to be a lot of bang whizz smash) but .. it's proving difficult to actually complete this one. There are elements there I feel like I would really love (treatment of superheroes as literal gods, lots of interesting twists on who is "good" vs "bad"), but somehow literally everything just feels ... turgid. Like I'm wading through a peat bog with thick gauze over my eyes and I'm wondering if I should keep going or just sit down and accept that this might be all there is....

first film I fell asleep to in many years :lol:

• Haha 2

Just watched Don’t Look Up. Really good stuff. Amazing cast. A few genuine lols. It would be more “fun” if it wasn’t such a fitting allegory. It’s ultimately depressing through and through, mainly because it’s message will likely be completely lost on the people it’s trying to reach. Still, 100% worth the watch. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, T3551ER said:

But isn’t the scenery amazing?? lol

Day off work and watched Andrei Rublev, loved it

22 hours ago, T3551ER said:

the trailer looked proper monkey

• Like 1

True Detective

I don't like horror shit, I can turn on the world news channels for that and see loads of horror, so I tend to avoid such senselessness in my life. I also avoid McConeaughey. But I also do stuff against my preferences now and then because, as I learned, it can bring you interesting new outlooks and experiences. Sometimes. So here I am: a man of contradictions. There's something about this american gothic stuff that stirs imagination, and all the necessary ingredients are there. It can be pretty dark shit, but it also fuels good morbid curiosity. I've heard about the King in Yellow novel before, but it's too dark for my taste so I never read it.

McConaughy man, can he be any more up his own ass with his self-aggrandizing postures and gestures? And his voice here is eating up words so I had trouble understanding half of his dialogue. He is almost a caricature, it's really kind of funny like that. But otherwise he did a good job with Rust I think.

I loved the biker gang infiltration chapter, it had the grit and the danger was palpable, and I really love Rust's catharsis at the end: "...once there was only dark...if you ask me, the light is winning."

Are the next seasons also worth a watch?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cichlisuite said:

Are the next seasons also worth a watch?

season 2 is flawed but has a good core underneath the convoluted and mismanaged plot lines. season 3 picks back up close to the same level of quality as season 1.

• Thanks 1
  • Big Brain 1

1 hour ago, usagi said:

season 2 is flawed but has a good core underneath the convoluted and mismanaged plot lines. season 3 picks back up close to the same level of quality as season 1.

I tried a few times but I just couldn't get through season 2, real drag

• Big Brain 1

wait wtf is this doing in the films thread?

32 minutes ago, Reid_Malenfant said:

I tried a few times but I just couldn't get through season 2, real drag

at some point the plot becomes too hard to follow and then it just becomes more about the mood and visuals and individual set pieces rather than trying to understand the big picture. I got some enjoyment out of it just by tuning that part out.