IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

27 minutes ago, Lane Visitor said:

I think part what is making Syro so perfect sounding is the super lush reverb especially on those already very lush pads, which just sort of swallows everything into like this hypnotic cocoon. This element I think sort of contains the dynamics and makes everything sit in this glowy floating space. The compression style used is very buttery and chocolatey and pillowy which just adds to that. Esp when you hear some of those old school drum machines crushed hard and super dry juxtaposed against all the wetness of the other tracks. It's  super thick chunky goodness.

He set out to make an ear pleasing, chill groovy album and he succeeded!

It would be a fun treat to hear some abrasiveness or more rawness in an upcoming release of course ?

Yes indeed! A tasty AFX release would be amazing.. Something between Drukqs and Analord style 

Many tracks he have been playing that is not released.. I hope to hear more of those 909-raves! 

• Like 2

On 4/14/2022 at 5:17 PM, cern said:

I hope to hear more of those 909-raves!

in person:aphexsign:

• Like 1

Still waiting for the bolt of lightning to hit me. I am genuinely glad that loads of other fans really like it, maybe one day I will see the light ?

4 bit 9d api+e+6, marchromt30a and end E2 are easy my favourites

sometimes I think if I heard this via a high end loud speaker system it might be better than headphones *shrugs* (or maybe *drugs* ?)

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2

On 4/14/2022 at 9:17 AM, cern said:

Yes indeed! A tasty AFX release would be amazing.. Something between Drukqs and Analord style 

Many tracks he have been playing that is not released.. I hope to hear more of those 909-raves! 

Haha yup, honestly anything with some aggressiveness or rdj classic emotive / playful melodies would be awesome. On the flip side, some minimal ambience would satisfy me just as much lol

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 4:13 AM, beerwolf said:

Still waiting for the bolt of lightning to hit me. I am genuinely glad that loads of other fans really like it, maybe one day I will see the light ?

4 bit 9d api+e+6, marchromt30a and end E2 are easy my favourites

sometimes I think if I heard this via a high end loud speaker system it might be better than headphones *shrugs* (or maybe *drugs* ?)

I felt that SYRO has always been little bit too short. 
But now when added Marchromt30a and End E2 as last track it feels totally completed! 

I don't know if I like all that "adding tracks later" stuff.. It feels like the Vinyl or CD you are buying becoming little bit worthless. 
Its like we getting ripped! HAHA

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Driving back from the beach today and end E2 came on. I love Syro but I do think how more amazing this album would’ve been with this track included when it was released. I mean I’ve added to the album now but still that was my thinking today when I was driving 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cobra said:

Driving back from the beach today and end E2 came on. I love Syro but I do think how more amazing this album would've been with this track included when it was released.

I've just finished listening to Syro on vinyl. So good. Yes, it's end E2 is a brilliant track. It came out while I was on holiday in Italy and I played it so much at that time. Now when I hear it I always think of that holiday.

Great album with or without it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pirtek said:

Great album with or without it.

Totally agree and I properly give this album a spin on the deck more than any other Aphex album 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cobra said:

Totally agree and I properly give this album a spin on the deck more than any other Aphex album 

It's definitely one of my most played as well.

Still just as good. 4 Bit 9d Api+e+6 and S950tx16wasr10 (Earth Portal Mix) still being my absolute favourites.

• Like 1

I guess, I finally must give up on Produk. I've waited if it had grown on me, but nope, doesn't really do anything for me. But then again I love the most hated track of the album 180 db, although I still think it would have been more home on DJ SELEK.  If there is something I miss in Syro is that it could have used some sharpness if that makes any sense. Sometimes sounds tad too soft or muddy around its edges (yup, both Marnell and Thomas mastering). But the songs kick ass, absolute favorite being PAPAT. Already rocked my socks off when it was still known only as a Singapore track.

• Like 1

syrobonkers!

53 minutes ago, Uros said:

Produk 29

"

Fu-fucking house
Disgusting
Needy slut
Fucking whore

Like, we were at that club

Fucking house
Disgusting
Needy slut
Fucking whore

Like, we were at that club

Like, fucking whore "
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

gave it a listen 2 nights ago after 2 or 3 years without touching it... far too progressive most of the tracks... so many different sections in some of the songs and it's a shame cause I really dig some of those sections but in a whole, the songs are too dense and end up being a bit tiresome... IMHO, AFAIK, IIRC, XOXO

the only trax i really dig from start to finish are produk 29, papat 4, xxxxx(earth portal mix) and anastasia...

I still think it's a fantastic album and one of the greatest accomplishments in the electronic music scene...

Edited by cruising for burgers
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, cruising for burgers said:

gave it a listen 2 nights ago after 2 or 3 years without touching it... far too progressive most of the tracks... so many different sections in some of the songs and it's a shame cause I really dig some of those sections but in a whole, the songs are too dense and end up being a bit tiresome... IMHO, AFAIK, IIRC, XOXO

the only trax i really dig from start to finish are produk 29, papat 4, xxxxx(earth portal mix) and anastasia...

I still think it's a fantastic album and a great accomplishment in electronic music...

Kind of agree. A lot of the tracks seem to have everything but the kitchen sink thrown at them. Seems as though in some tracks there’s multitudes of ideas whizzing around at high speed and while technically brilliant, leaves me cold. But not to worry, the new stuff sounds fantastic.

I’ve always had the sneaky feeling that if you are a music maker and dabble with making tracks you will have a greater appreciation of Syro than someone like myself who is just a listener.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

I like Syro way more than his more acid focused sutff such as Analord and the like. The variety and the high volume of different sounds and track changes is what makes the album a ride. i love it. Drukqs is probably my favorite aphex album but a big part of that reason is nostalgia. This one is a verrrrry close second. Not a single miss

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 3

LOVE Syro. As far as his LPs go, it’s probably my second favorite behind SOSW… possibly a tie. It just takes me on a journey every time I listen to it from beginning to end. I definitely hear what @cruising for burgers and @beerwolfare saying but those are some of the reasons why I love it. 
Having said that, I’m pretty pumped for the next LP, whenever that happens. All of the bits of “new” material from the live gigs are the other 2 short releases have made me feel like the next one could be better than Syro, which is VERY good for me :aphexsign:

• Big Brain 1

I absolutely love Syro! Apart from druQks and Analord, it's one I play the most. Others are Rushup Edge and ICBYD.

Can't believe it's 10 years old next year!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thumbass said:

Drukqs is probably my favorite aphex album

That album blew me away when I first heard it!

2 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

produk 29, papat 4, xxxxx(earth portal mix) and anastasia

??

Edited by Pirtek
  • Like 1