IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

Yeah, thats the thing...if he released this music "proper" (i.e. digital or physical paid-for) you might end up in this weird world where people from fans to reviewers begin to have the attitude of "Oh, another RDJ release! Jeez...He'll put anything out for a bit of cash".

if he just put out a series of VOD style vinyl box sets of all this tuff that wouldn't happen, collectors would love it. we would all freak out and everyone but the cheap bastards would be happy

someone just asked him on sc if he has another 250 songs and richard responded "you dont even know!"

i guess with such amounts of songs a sc dump or something similar is necessary. he seems to be keeping warp happy with great releases to sell.

it is a very nice thing he is doing for people, allowing them to hear his work. i imagine, even in a perfect world, there is a psychological tax to releasing music. being watched effects one's mind. to elaborate, i think music that one plays to one's self has an edge over music that is played to others. so, richard is sacrificing that psychological element of privacy for us, so we can hear and enjoy. so, not only is it easily categorizable as right, it's also a generous and good thing he is doing for people.

I asked him that question, thought I could tease it out of him.

Yeah, thats the thing...if he released this music "proper" (i.e. digital or physical paid-for) you might end up in this weird world where people from fans to reviewers begin to have the attitude of "Oh, another RDJ release! Jeez...He'll put anything out for a bit of cash".

if he just put out a series of VOD style vinyl box sets of all this tuff that wouldn't happen, collectors would love it. we would all freak out and everyone but the cheap bastards would be happy

but he would have to deal with the 200 item lists of expenses like the syro art that go along with album releases. plus record companies have limits on how much they will put out. for syro they manufactured half a million copies, so thats a big chunk of money warp had to put down up front, then they have to store all those copies... they can't just do that for 100 releases in a year for one artist, can they?

yeah if it was a limited run box set he could've sold 10000 $200 box sets and put it in a college fund for his kids(I'm sure that's something he's thinking about). I think this just shows how much more "releasable" material (special edition SAW) he probably has from the time that could generate cash(for example this latest track he held out on giving away for some reason). And his ambitions to keep releasing new music.

not that anyone asked for my opinion, but my ideal sc release (oooh, that sounded dirty) would be a multiple vinyl set in simple white sleeves with white labels (or black sleeves with black labels) plus titles and bpm rubber stamped on the label. sort of like the marchromt ep. as long as it's a quality pressing and the music's good i don't really care about artwork (to keep costs down).

and perhaps throw in a sticker somewhere to keep a certain kind of people happy. win win!

Edited by jejunum

put it in a college fund for his kids(I'm sure that's something he's thinking about).

doubtful. not such a big focus for parents in the UK vs US.

oh true, I sometimes forget the US bubble I've become accustomed to.

but he would have to deal with the 200 item lists of expenses like the syro art that go along with album releases. plus record companies have limits on how much they will put out. for syro they manufactured half a million copies, so thats a big chunk of money warp had to put down up front, then they have to store all those copies... they can't just do that for 100 releases in a year for one artist, can they?

he obviously doesn't give a fuck. Richard is like no other musician of his stature, for good or for bad, he does what he wants. really I can't think of another artist of his fame level that will give away new music for free. but he is an obsessive, he composes 24 hours a day, when the music strikes him, he composes. his wife must be an angel, living with a guy who gets up at all hours of the day or night to record something that struck him. and bless him for it, is there any other like him on earth? his is a true prodigy, i have no doubt. i believe he has probly thousands of tracks recorded by now, realize he's been composing since the 80s, and thankfully most of that hasn't been lost. he's been quoted as being his own worst critic, and will release whatever strikes his fancy at the moment. let's just be thankful a human being of such talent currently exists, it won't be that way forever. imagine some day people are hunting his tracks down after we're all gone, and the ruckus it will cause. i think he might end up being the definition of electronic music 100 years from now. and then, when his sons or grandsons are left to deal with his legacy, the floodgates will truly open. undiscovered this and that will surface, i might have some myself. It will make an excellent movie for sure, lol.

Guest Londonskater

yeah if it was a limited run box set he could've sold 10000 $200 box sets and put it in a college fund for his kids(I'm sure that's something he's thinking about). I think this just shows how much more "releasable" material (special edition SAW) he probably has from the time that could generate cash(for example this latest track he held out on giving away for some reason). And his ambitions to keep releasing new music.

Man, I hate to be the guy offering sobering views here...but as much as love as there is for RDJ, he isn't going to sell 10,000 box sets at $200 each. [/echochamber]

I'd be surprised if he hit 2,000.

That sort of exclusive/expensive stuff really is reserved for the type of person who would happily sit on a forum all day chatting about the potential release in question.

...and I am in. Where can I pre-order?

Slightly obsessed with Katiacid.. this a new fav for sure. Cant believe he is still pulling old gems like this out the bag 250 tracks in!

Edited by kirm

What do you think he means "yeah most of them are files though for disklavier, so got to get around to recording them"?

I guess he means that no recordings actually exist yet, so he needs to get them recorded? I didn't know if there was some sense of deteriorating format or something.

What do you think he means "yeah most of them are files though for disklavier, so got to get around to recording them"?

I guess he means that no recordings actually exist yet, so he needs to get them recorded? I didn't know if there was some sense of deteriorating format or something.

He just has the data files that control the disklavier machine, so he has to run them and then record the sound of the disklavier actually playing the notes he programmed

Man, I hate to be the guy offering sobering views here...but as much as love as there is for RDJ, he isn't going to sell 10,000 box sets at $200 each. [/echochamber]

I'd be surprised if he hit 2,000.

That sort of exclusive/expensive stuff really is reserved for the type of person who would happily sit on a forum all day chatting about the potential release in question.

...and I am in. Where can I pre-order?

yeah i was thinking maybe 2000 also. even then, though, whoever is financing it will be wondering what if sales dont get past 1000? if they cost 50 each to manufacture and distribute then selling 500 is breaking even, and after that you still have lingering storage expenses

that business model jodey did with edm (and i think aleksi did prior?) where he took the orders before having the stuff manufactured could work.

Guest Londonskater

Yeah, I think the pre-order idea works.

I mean, forgetting current vinyl plant turnaround time issues for a second - that's one thing the Internet has brought to record labels.

How many people pre-ordered via bleep for AFX releases? I bet for the simple stuff like the last 3 releases, the bill for vinyl pressing and printing covers was covered before they hit the go button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is very cool that he is drawing attention to the TTIP. Seems to me that the majority of people (even people who seem to have some kind of idea what is going on) don't know about it or have never heard of it....

I think it is very cool that he is drawing attention to the TTIP. Seems to me that the majority of people (even people who seem to have some kind of idea what is going on) don't know about it or have never heard of it....

100% agree.