IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

got my LXR yesterday but only had a few minutes to play with it…sounds so fucking good. very digital in the best of ways…the morphing kit feature should be interesting if i understand it correctly, but i’ve got plenty to learn on it.

the structure of the machine (voice vs. performance) is going to take some getting used to, but that’s any new machine/unfamiliar brand design. the sound editing seems really straight forward and not too menu-divey that i’ve seen so far.

the volume faders per voice is killer for live tweaking.

can’t wait to dig in more and start writing with it.

1 hour ago, auxien said:

got my LXR yesterday but only had a few minutes to play with it…sounds so fucking good. very digital in the best of ways…the morphing kit feature should be interesting if i understand it correctly, but i’ve got plenty to learn on it.

the structure of the machine (voice vs. performance) is going to take some getting used to, but that’s any new machine/unfamiliar brand design. the sound editing seems really straight forward and not too menu-divey that i’ve seen so far.

the volume faders per voice is killer for live tweaking.

can’t wait to dig in more and start writing with it.

NIce man. How is the build quality? Looks solid, but also have never owned something from erika

7 hours ago, e-mertz said:

NIce man. How is the build quality? Looks solid, but also have never owned something from erika

i’ll reserve a full take until later, but initial impressions on build quality are v good. feels as solid as any gear i’ve got, heavy & metal enclosure, buttons aren’t amazing but they are good & feel like they’ll last quite some years. knobs feel like you’d want, the big data knob is really nice for fine tuning & navigation. faders feel decent, but might be the least solid feeling component of this list so far (but that’s not a bad thing really). screen does it’s job, probably easy enough to replace a decade from now as it looks basic/common. even the jacks & power switch feel really strong. couldn’t expect more for the price tbh, & i’m a petty consumer, i’d call out any little thing i saw. 

i haven’t heard any rumblings online about Erica Synths hardware production tho, maybe long term things will crop up.

software/firmware on it is a bit glitchy tho. i’m still learning for sure but i might’ve already had it freeze up (just restarted, not sure if i was doing something wrong where i was in the menu system or if the system actually locked up). noticed other weirdness too already…but i have NOT checked to see if i’m on the latest firmware yet so don’t yet hold any of this paragraph against the machine.

Edited by auxien
  • Thanks 1

Had my first play on an Octatrack last week. I know how to use a few Elektron boxes, so the sequencer etc I was cool with and I had picked up a few things from watching YouTube videos (mostly the assignment of the cross fader ?) so I more or less could jam with it straight away…. Probably because of that I’m now gassing for one pretty bad ?

Also got to play with a Meris Polymoon pedal. Beautiful sounding ?

Want one of them too ?

I love the ZOIA, the basics are easy, the modular UI/UX is intuitive and approachable (at least to me), the depth and possibilities are amazing. I've only scratched the surface, made some multi-effects and controllable things, haven't even tried the synth or sequencing parts yet. Can't wait to delve into the glitchy, granular, and generative sides of the box. Yeah, it's pricey, but damn it's versatile.

I finally took the plunge, took everything out of my 12u rack case, got  4 things racked up with my audio interface and mixer, so everything is closer together and I had space to move my desk and monitors a couple feet farther from the wall. The rest of it is set so I can sell it and put the money toward a Hydrasynth module.

I got all the stuff I'm selling cheap enough I can lowball it a bit to hopefully make it sell faster and still end up getting back more than I originally spent.

Edited by TubularCorporation

2 hours ago, dcom said:

LXR-02 is good fun, there's surface but also depth. It'll take a while to grok everything it has to offer.

Quell my GAS please…

If you had a Machinedrum would you have bought the LXR??

I forget how deep the MD is at times and  if you dig deeper there are huge possibilities. Sometimes too much for my brain and I use it for more mundane percussion duties than it deserves at times.

I initially GASSED for the Perkons HD and then it passed when I realised it has more in common with the MD than the Pulsar 23 that people tended to compare it against. That comparison is more to do with form factor than sound ability imo. 

anyway, I like the look and sound of the LXR but not sure it overlaps what I already have.

2 hours ago, Grain Bastard said:

If I had one, I would probably sell it to buy other smaller and/or simpler devices. From that you can probably tell I'm not an Elektron fan, I prefer small pieces loosely joined instead of monolithic multi-appliances. I know world is full of people who swear by their Elektrons, I'm not one of them - I have explicitly decided not to get any.

Spoiler

If someone is thinking "are you mad? Elektrons are the best! You must be crazy." - yes, clinically so, I have several diagnoses. But they have nothing to do with synthesizers.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could never get behind Elektron because I always thought that if I spend that much on a music thing, I might as well get a laptop.

Now I do realise that physical knob workflows are an important thing and all, so I did end up getting a MPC 1000. However I am still quite computer centric so I have not gone too deep on it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, dcom said:

If I had one, I would probably sell it to buy other smaller and/or simpler devices. From that you can probably tell I'm not an Elektron fan, I prefer small pieces loosely joined instead of monolithic multi-appliances. I know world is full of people who swear by their Elektrons, I'm not one of them - I have explicitly decided not to get any.

I know what you mean. I like physical gear a lot. Analog or digital. But, when you make the focus of your product doing DAW shit, except physically, then you're adding unnecessary expense to your item. This wasn't the case as much with the older Elektron gear, but with the newer stuff it seems a little dry. I know that a lot of people would rather do it on the fly on a separate box, I totally get that, but I'd honestly rather have a more specialized piece of gear that I can record into the computer than a massive monolithic box that can do a lot of things pretty well without post production touch ups, but nothing particularly amazing, I'd rather pass.

3 hours ago, Grain Bastard said:

I forget how deep the MD is at times and  if you dig deeper there are huge possibilities. Sometimes too much for my brain and I use it for more mundane percussion duties than it deserves at times.

i've heard lots from the Machinedrum over the years (including plenty of 2000s Autechre, of course) and it's pretty great, but i've never used one personally.  it looks pretty powerful tho, and i can't imagine needing an LXR-02 if you already had an MD....the LXR is unique and sounds great, but the same goes for the MD. MD is almost certainly more diverse in its options/breadth of possibilities (this could be good or bad). but yeah if you're admitting that you don't really use it in any deep way, then it's the operator, not the gear (no offense at all intended. just spend some time with it!)

there's some new firmware developed by some talented MD users that introduces even more possibilities to it if you've not looked into that...but even at its core, no matter which model you've got, it seems to be a solid drum machine. maybe you just don't gel with it of course! i'll trade you for the LXR....  :duckhunt:

Edited by auxien
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2022 at 8:34 PM, Grain Bastard said:

I initially GASSED for the Perkons HD and then it passed when I realised it has more in common with the MD than the Pulsar 23 that people tended to compare it against. That comparison is more to do with form factor than sound ability imo. 

anyway, I like the look and sound of the LXR but not sure it overlaps what I already have.

LXR mk1 had step probability way before Elektron implemented trig conditions in Analogs and OT (except MD and MM)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone play around with an empress echosystem? I was hoping it would turn my crispy digital sounding pads of my rs7000 more lush and warm like.

Edited by yekker
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2022 at 6:06 AM, tbf said:

incredibly ironic how long it took for a decent *modular* modular case to emerge. this looks nice

Ehhhh. I wonder how easily those clicky clacky snappy clips break. Anyone know what these cases are made of? Kudos to them for including a beefy powersupply with each basic set though. OTOH none of the arguments that dude in the video makes for this case really hold up to scrutiny imho.