IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

That's pretty decent, I lol at allmusic but fair focks to em as they pointed jonge Bobby Digitals good music back in ye olde days (including Autechre, as told through Bladelores). Dunno where the "best answer" to this thread waen't (u kno, the welcome to...), but this was especially en pointe:

While an album full of such long-winded, usually non-melodic, alien-sounding experiments might be an endurance test (if not completely impenetrable) to most listeners, Autechre fans live for endeavors like this. When the four sessions were originally aired, they each streamed on a loop for an entire week before the next one was premiered, so the duo's fans had an extended period of time to digest the material as it continually played in the background. By nature, the daunting NTS Sessions is Autechre's most challenging work, but for those who are dedicated, it's also one of their most rewarding.

My last Autechre review, like... ever

http://www.hhv-mag.com/de/review/10243/autechre-nts-sessions

And tonight I will listen to NTS 3 & 4 for the first time and it will be from vinyl. Cumshots ahead.

Love it!

Die Vergangenheitsbewältigung altgedienter Autechre-Fans hält in vielen Foren noch immer an.

This sentence is a gem!

Overcoming the past of veteran Autechre fans is still a hot topic in many forums.

ok

The sentence before it is about that still many fans think back to the melodious first albums. And the word "Vergangenheitsbewältigung" in this sentence, meaning "overcoming the past" is mostly used in the context how to handle to historical past (mostly WWII, Hitler, and so on).

It's hard to translate, sorry. It just ironically emphasizes this sentiment, when people mourn after the good old days, as Autechre were still melodious, you know?

Edited by Chabraendeky

^ Yeah plus it's really hard to guess what's going to be a highlight for someone else w/ ae.

Apologies if this has already been posted:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/nts-sessions-mw0003187746

Also broken down into session-by-session reviews. Lovely.

Funny how nts sessions has literally gotten unanimous acclaim from the major music publications that have reviewed it, even though the same criticisms they threw at the last few albums (lack of editing/pacing, aimlessness) would--you'd think--appear to be exacerbated. I wonder if it's because a) the critics finally GET IT or b) only ae cult members like us are interested enough to actually write about this shit. I'm thinking it's probably more b...

^ Yeah plus it's really hard to guess what's going to be a highlight for someone else w/ ae.

Funny how nts sessions has literally gotten unanimous acclaim from the major music publications that have reviewed it, even though the same criticisms they threw at the last few albums (lack of editing/pacing, aimlessness) would--you'd think--appear to be exacerbated. I wonder if it's because a) the critics finally GET IT or b) only ae cult members like us are interested enough to actually write about this shit. I'm thinking it's probably more b...

I imagine it comes down to a few possible factors: some do actually enjoy it, some wish to appear to 'get' it, some are probably afraid to write negative reviews (or not permitted to write by editors, possibly) - particularly in regard to an 8 hour 'opus' by a long-running and adored duo that has generally received positive fan response. There's also a lot of diversity in NTS, so perhaps there's just enough for everyone to enjoy most of it. I love the whole lot, me. In any case, I always find it interesting to know how others view this music, regardless of whether I agree with them or not

I imagine it comes down to a few possible factors: some do actually enjoy it, some wish to appear to 'get' it, some are probably afraid to write negative reviews (or not permitted to write by editors, possibly) - particularly in regard to an 8 hour 'opus' by a long-running and adored duo that has generally received positive fan response. There's also a lot of diversity in NTS, so perhaps there's just enough for everyone to enjoy most of it. I love the whole lot, me. In any case, I always find it interesting to know how others view this music, regardless of whether I agree with them or not

Yeah I guess they are enough of a "legacy act" (at least by pop music standards) now that really negative reviews are unlikely. But still, that didn't stop Pitchfork from giving their last few albums low-ish scores, and lot of other reviewers from also decrying their supposed lack of editing ability. So I just find it kind of ironic that even though nts takes their approach on those albums to a ridiculous extreme, there's been total silence / acceptance on that front in all the reviews I've read.

Also, I think you're right that some people likely don't want to come across as not 'getting it'. I remember a bunch of reviews of elseq praising it for things like "subverting all notions of enjoyability or musicality" lol. Wish they would just admit they didn't like it instead of claiming to enjoy it on some super meta, postmodern level. :wacko:

Edited by Guest

Not my snap as I had binned off my order for the Japanese CD edition, was a bit surplus to requirements other than being a fun curio (and no bonus track to be found). Turns out it doesn't come with a nice chunky obi strip after all, just a sticker to denote its non-domestic status. I even suspect with the placement of that sticker that it's just a rebagged copy of the domestic release anyway... so no great loss.

Confirmed my suspicions:

39741887_7389977131120ie22.jpg

No evidence of a unique Beat Records ID which is usually found on Japanese Warp releases. Looks like Warp just shipped 500 copies over to bag and slap stickers on.

38874120_227632197914bliho.jpg

At least they threw in a liner notes booklet...

39329734_51366801571300f4w.jpg

Edited by jasondonervan

I realise it's gone through the translate grinder, but loffle regardless:

"Is it true that you once broke a trailer with the Boards Of Canada just to steal some champagne? 

Rob: True!

Sean: It was a festival in Germany that had been canceled due to bad weather. There was mud everywhere, so we found ourselves segregated backstage, with no chance to play and above all without alcohol. They did not want to bring us a drink, okay? So we attacked the beverage caravan. I was stressed, I wanted a fucking drink and these were the assholes of the festival. I stole a bowl of champagne, for everyone's happiness. They kept her locked up for some kind of rapper. But since no one showed up, they were hoping to sell it, 'these assholes that not even the logistics had managed to manage.

Rob: And then comes the part of wrestling.

What part of wrestling? 

Sean: Do not listen to Rob, he says bullshit.

Rob: Let's say that after the theft there was a fight, which because of the mud seemed wrestling. I only remember the laughter."

*Beverage Caravan*  :beer:

^thanks for linking that interview jd but holy fuck that RS site is a fucking trashfire. I'll wait 'til someone does all the hard work of translating it somewhere hopefully. :)

A bit of that all yeah, mostly the diversity really helps NTS I'd guess. But imo the biggest difference is that NTS is just plain better than other recent stuff (except AE_LIVE releases). They talked about the sheer length of NTS allowing them to include the sorts of stuff they might not release otherwise, and from what I remember it was hinted that they sometimes leave off the less edgy/progressive/challenging tracks, but if they're including more stuff like that here on NTS (four of seven, clustro, dummy casual, etc) then that may account for the sessions having a little more appeal for reviewers? Sorta just guessing here.

I'm just in awe at the sheer size of it!

OkBV7Cq.jpg

goddamn. Draft cassette :) 

no steels Quaristice?? or is it just hiding in the stacks

listen to all 4 sessions, 1 at a time

agreed. even if it's sorta as background, that's literally what these sets were designed for. Just put on the 2 hour digital run and do some cleaning or cooking or reading.

goddamn. Draft cassette :) 

no steels Quaristice?? or is it just hiding in the stacks

No, alas, still got a long way to go! I'm especially looking forward to buy SplitRmx12, We R Are Why and MASK 500 (although this is one expensive beast) at the moment.

Edited by HenkMul

Sean: Oh, we've kind of 450 hours of unpublished pieces stuffed into a hard drive. 

Rob: [...] There are tracks that I adore but that probably nobody will ever hear. 

:cerious:  :catcry: