IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

Really curious if all you getting harsh high frequencies are sharing any of these qualities: younger (under 25ish?), listening to lower quality or streams, or listening via subpar means (headphones in particular). Or a combination of those things.

God I sound like a douche. Lol

This is one of my main issues with their releases after a certain point. There are certain frequencies that seem to cut into my brain like a knife that never showed up until after Confield. It shows up a lot of Draft, particularly V-proc and Reniform Puls, which is why this is a release that I still think is way harder to get into than Confield. Quite a few tracks unfortunately have this effect on me from elseq. C7B2, C16 Deep Tread, Elyc6 0nset, and Mesh Cinereal as others have pointed out. The beginning of l3 ctrl has it on the new release as well although that's too good of a track to hold against it.

I'm in my mid 30s so I don't think it's an age thing, but probably a specific frequency I'm overly sensitive to at loud volumes. Anything high pitched that sounds intensely and loudly like insects buzzing or metal scraping seems to vibrate inside my skull. I relistened to Envane, Chiastic Slide, and EP7 this week and the general timbre and mastering is so much more pleasing to my ears.

Living in NYC I don't have the leisure of blasting music on speakers because of neighbors and not having a car so I listen loudly on solid midrange headphones, which is perhaps my issue. However, I went to the live show in Brooklyn without earplugs and it was unfortunately an unpleasant experience for me as were the live recordings later on. My friend had the same exact problem and angrily left after 10 minutes (I didn't really warn him what he was in for to be fair).

It sounds like I'm bitching, but I am LOVING all this new stuff. Just saying others are not alone with this issue and we are not crazy lol. It's the one thing preventing me from liking some of their tracks and every track I dislike in their entire discography shares this commonality. Overall NTS has totally kicked ass and I'm super pumped for tomorrow!

Really curious if all you getting harsh high frequencies are sharing any of these qualities: younger (under 25ish?), listening to lower quality or streams, or listening via subpar means (headphones in particular). Or a combination of those things.

This is one of my main issues with their releases after a certain point. There are certain frequencies that seem to cut into my brain like a knife that never showed up until after Confield. It shows up a lot of Draft, particularly V-proc and Reniform Puls, which is why this is a release that I still think is way harder to get into than Confield. Quite a few tracks unfortunately have this effect on me from elseq. C7B2, C16 Deep Tread, Elyc6 0nset, and Mesh Cinereal as others have pointed out. The beginning of l3 ctrl has it on the new release as well although that's too good of a track to hold against it.

I'm in my mid 30s so I don't think it's an age thing, but probably a specific frequency I'm overly sensitive to at loud volumes. Anything high pitched that sounds intensely and loudly like insects buzzing or metal scraping seems to vibrate inside my skull. I relistened to Envane, Chiastic Slide, and EP7 this week and the general timbre and mastering is so much more pleasing to my ears.

To me autechre have always had some high frequencies; cant remember specific instances but I know some stuff on tri repetae does.  Point being I dont hear any significant shift in their work over time (of course there are plenty of stylistic shifts ie around Confield, but no dramatic frequency shifts for me..)

&& For example, could you guys listen to tracks/albums like the below and not be bothered?  I really enjoy the sound of this album which is maybe why im not bothered by autechres stuff 

Edited by Marked x 0ne

To me autechre have always had some high frequencies; cant remember specific instances but I know some stuff on tri repetae does.  Point being I dont hear any significant shift in their work over time (of course there are plenty of stylistic shifts ie around Confield, but no dramatic frequency shifts for me..)

&& For example, could you guys listen to tracks/albums like the below and not be bothered?  I really enjoy the sound of this album which is maybe why im not bothered by autechres stuff 

This is mostly fine for me but that sound that starts at around 34 minutes does my head in. I think it's a very specific frequency or timbre.

The buzzing sound that starts kicking in at around 5:20 in Reniform Puls instantly gives me a headache. It's not quite super high end. Bummer because I otherwise quite like that track.

This is one of my main issues with their releases after a certain point. There are certain frequencies that seem to cut into my brain like a knife that never showed up until after Confield. It shows up a lot of Draft, particularly V-proc and Reniform Puls, which is why this is a release that I still think is way harder to get into than Confield. Quite a few tracks unfortunately have this effect on me from elseq. C7B2, C16 Deep Tread, Elyc6 0nset, and Mesh Cinereal as others have pointed out. The beginning of l3 ctrl has it on the new release as well although that's too good of a track to hold against it.

Living in NYC I don't have the leisure of blasting music on speakers because of neighbors and not having a car so I listen loudly on solid midrange headphones, which is perhaps my issue. However, I went to the live show in Brooklyn without earplugs and it was unfortunately an unpleasant experience for me as were the live recordings later on. My friend had the same exact problem and angrily left after 10 minutes (I didn't really warn him what he was in for to be fair).

It sounds like I'm bitching, but I am LOVING all this new stuff. Just saying others are not alone with this issue and we are not crazy lol. It's the one thing preventing me from liking some of their tracks and every track I dislike in their entire discography shares this commonality. Overall NTS has totally kicked ass and I'm super pumped for tomorrow!

Interestingly (? :Well, to me at any rate) Confield was their last record mastered by Frank Arkwright. Everything after was Noel Summerville (at least that which was pressed to vinyl). So maybe that is related. Idk.

I recall them mentioning it in the AAA, they liked NS cos he didn't fuck with their mix. I get the impression that he is more of a cutting engineer than a mastering engineer (in as much as they are different, which depends on your POV on mastering I suppose?).

Edited by EXTRASUPER81

Dublin from AE_LIVE is a particular offender in this respect. It's probably why it's my least listened to of the bunch.

FWIW I'm not having this problem with the NTS stuff. So i guess I'm OT. I should be banned.

Dublin from AE_LIVE is a particular offender in this respect. It's probably why it's my least listened to of the bunch.

FWIW I'm not having this problem with the NTS stuff. So i guess I'm OT. I should be banned.

i actually can't listen to that one either

Dublin is my fave. I think those freqs that are making u all crie are giving me bonner

Lol

Thing is I really liked it otherwise. Maybe I should just EQ it a bit myself.

Edit: Nah too lazy.

Edited by EXTRASUPER81

The first half of my 20s was largely spent hunting through radio frequencies, so you're talking dozens of hours a week of static, and straining through limited optimal feeds and radio traffic. At the end of this I had a hearing test, and my hearing had technically deteriorated. Not in a way I'd notice, and the training means your ears are hyper sensitive and actively engaged in constant detection and analysis like satellite dishes (hard to turn off). I joke that I have piccolo (namek) ears. But whilst my hearing skills are fine-tuned, my hearing itself deteriorated markedly from 20 to 25. And I had colleagues who listened with max loudness in their work, I preferred quieter settings. That said, I've never developed tinnitus.

I'm fine with most Autechre tracks. I struggle to enjoy things like the squelchy, throbbing alarm sound that you get in things like the second half of elcy6 onset, like electrodes bleeping in heat, and parts of mesh cinereal, as well as the metal nails down chalkboard washes and snippet blares from time to time, but that might be personal taste.

Whenever listening through static, my ears used to try and discern some subtle ae-esque rhythm lol.

Edited by Roo

hoping for some merch to commemorate this work. pls less TDR minimalism and more gnarly tag designs or something.

almost as retarded as having an opinion on newly released music is wanting a t-shirt tbqh. You sure you've let the music sink in enough to want some merch? I mean, it's only been a few weeks. How could you possibly know you like the music enough to want some merch? =/

I'm honestly finding it laughable how you could want some related merch without enough time for the NTS sessions to sink in. Happy you've been able to make enough criticisms of the new material that you could invest in some merch in this short time frame. Crazy how you like it enough in such a short time frame that you're plugging merch now. Is it possible you've made a critical assessment since the first sesh was released? 

Sound familiar?

/point made.

You can get off your listening high horse for those of us that have heard the first couple sessions, and don't enjoy them as much as you. No need to tell people to fuck off or call them retarded. Just saying. 

Unless you're doing the same thing in an OPN thread, then godspeed homie.

almost as retarded as having an opinion on newly released music is having an opinion on someone wanting a t-shirt tbqh.

Most listened NTS tracks thus far?
 (or everything with higher play counts than t[rack]1a[lbum]1?)

sinistrailAB air - 23

gonk steady one - 19

four of seven - 18

dummy casual - 18

e0 - 17

debris_funk - 17

bqbqbq - 16

carefree counter dronal - 16

Obviously NTS1 with a few days head start.

Edited by Roo

Ah, glad I’m not alone with this high frequency stuff! Absolutely LOVING the new NTS music, except I would be more comfortable with a little less treble (and more bass) in many of the tracks overall. A track like the first one of the first session sits nicely for me; I can have it loud and the bass pumps as satisfyingly as any great music and the high frequencies don’t hurt. But for me this ‘issue’ only started with ‘Exai’ (the same tracks coax listed in particular), occurred quite a bit in Elseq (particularly prt.2 and a bit of 4) and seems to be happening again now on this new stuff. I don’t know if it’s the high sounds per se, because like others have said a lot of their music has had mind-melting high frequencies in the past; it might be more to do with an overall ‘sheen’ or mastering with martial since Exai. I was amazed at how warm older releases sounded when I put them on again.

This bright, rich, sound isn’t bad. It’s full of finesse and this amazing, dense 3D clarity or something. But say, with tracks like ‘debris_funk’,

‘l3 ctrl’ or gonk steady one (and a bunch of others) I can’t crank it as I would like to or as much as I could with other music because it feels a bit treble heavy and bass light...

(None of even the most extreme examples of these are anywnere near as bad as Squarepusher’s new stuff, however. I don’t know what happened with the mixing/mastering there, and it doesn’t seem as deliberate as in Autechre’s case. Ufabulum especially is just not fun on my ears. Like I said, even the ‘worst’ offenders in these Ae examples still sound like amazing electronic music and there is a ‘hyper reality’ to the overall sound which is pretty interesting...)

Edited by Lianne

Use the equalizer if certain frequencies seem too loud

That's like watering down whiskey...

=X

No, I totally agree. However you can best digest AE... So long as you're digesting AE, right?

=D

=X

No, I totally agree. However you can best digest AE... So long as you're digesting AE, right?

=D

So is it yes or is it no?

If you make a statement be clear

stick to the rules please

I saw swans a few months ago and wore earplugs for the first time at a concert. it sounded amazing. I took them off at one point just to see and it was just punishing. They played around 130 db. 

i saw them twice last year and i was totally ok with the loudness but the physical aspect was much harder to bear i literally started to sweat and felt uncomfortable.A guy next to me even fainted , he fking fainted.

NTS3 pls make me faint into idm heaven !

Edited by Kavinsky

=X

=D

So is it yes or is it no?

If you make a statement be clear

stick to the rules please

It's not something I would personally do, no.

But if it's such an issue that you can't enjoy the music, by all means... Go for it.

I'm sorry I broke the rules...

Time to smash me with a banhammer, I guess...

Edited by Hk47

I saw swans a few months ago and wore earplugs for the first time at a concert. it sounded amazing. I took them off at one point just to see and it was just punishing. They played around 130 db.

i saw them twice last year and i was totally ok with the loudness but the physical aspect was much harder to bear i literally started to sweat and felt uncomfortable.A guy next to me even fainted , he fking fainted.

NTS3 pls make me faint into idm heaven !

haha awesome. They are intense live. And I think that is putting it very mildly.