Gave it a few honest listens but it's easily his worst work in quite a while. Wanky in all the wrong ways. Maybe some of it does well on the big stage.

Don't know, I find it very addictive. It's definitely a bit strange and unexpected at first (like all of his stuff), but for me it really works. and it's a new direction. stuff like cheetah and ccai were more for producers actually interested in HOW he did it and that's quite interesting. but i haven't been listening to them in ages. collapse is serious business again, fully polished tracks and interesting all the way, at least to me.

First off: loving Collapse - some of his best work to date IMO.

Second off: Anyone hearing "old" sounds in some of the tracks? I don't want to imply Richard is recycling old sounds (I am 1000% sure he has throughout his musical career though and is really good about tweaking them so they sound new and original), but sometimes I get a feeling of recognition during some of the tracks with certain sounds (I need to sit down and write down the times in each track to identify them for sure).

Anyone else notice or feel this?

Oh you adorable dotard, ie. Collapse (the track) sounds familiar as Rich played it at Houston...and you were there yourself :dadjoke:

I know Collapse was played at DfN... that's not what I am talking about. To be clear(er), I hear sounds that are reminiscent of older Aphex tracks (like the "farting bass" in T69 Collapse that sounds similar to the beat in "On").

psst, It was a joke, albeit a lousy one, but still...

Don't know, I find it very addictive. It's definitely a bit strange and unexpected at first (like all of his stuff), but for me it really works. and it's a new direction. stuff like cheetah and ccai were more for producers actually interested in HOW he did it and that's quite interesting. but i haven't been listening to them in ages. collapse is serious business again, fully polished tracks and interesting all the way, at least to me.

Couldn't agree more with this. I was almost instantly addicted to 1st 44, MT1 and Abundance. More so than nearly anything off Syro (although I do like about 4 tracks off that).

I'm hoping his next LP is further explorations of these styles of beats.

I love it. So good. Like Drukqs but made with his new setup and workflow.

I don,t understan why everyone is compairing this to drukqs.... To me it sounds nothing like that

I don,t understan why everyone is compairing this to drukqs.... To me it sounds nothing like that

With you on this. Just listened to drukqs and not putting 2 & 2 together. Bad ears?

With you on this. Just listened to drukqs and not putting 2 & 2 together. Bad ears?

in some parts it's like he took the drukqs style and improved it even further, track 3 is such an example!

Several similarities I think .. the beats have many chopped and splintered parts and give off a furious headfuck feeling. Also both albums share some of those melancholy pad progressions. But to me they're more different than similar. Collapse is more like some creepy club for aliens / AI in a future dystopian city, and theyre telling us about some hidden portal promising humans transcendence, whereas Drukqs is like an opus written by machines telling a story of them falling apart and dying out in nature somewhere.

in some parts it's like he took the drukqs style and improved it even further, track 3 is such an example!

I don't know if he consciously looked at it that way. Isn't it just Aphex doing Aphex?

Quality really made this ep justice. So many new details and layers. 1st 44 is no longer that bad. This is a nice ep.

post-17854-0-10725900-1534768124_thumb.jpg

What if I told you someone will be consuming this hat on september 14, 2018

:)

:aphexsign: :aphexsign: :aphexsign: :aphexsign: :aphexsign:

Ya got me. I was sceptical the entire time, was going to listen to it once more to further prove to myself that it's a bad ep. Queued the FLACs and then damn. This was nice. I guess I'd never judge anything by the 96 kbps leak, stupid me.

Quality really made this ep justice. So many new details and layers. 1st 44 is no longer that bad. This is a nice ep.

Ya got me. I was sceptical the entire time, was going to listen to it once more to further prove to myself that it's a bad ep. Queued the FLACs and then damn. This was nice. I guess I'd never judge anything by the 96 kbps leak, stupid me.

First off: loving Collapse - some of his best work to date IMO.

Second off: Anyone hearing "old" sounds in some of the tracks? I don't want to imply Richard is recycling old sounds (I am 1000% sure he has throughout his musical career though and is really good about tweaking them so they sound new and original), but sometimes I get a feeling of recognition during some of the tracks with certain sounds (I need to sit down and write down the times in each track to identify them for sure).

Anyone else notice or feel this?

Oh you adorable dotard, ie. Collapse (the track) sounds familiar as Rich played it at Houston...and you were there yourself :dadjoke:

I know Collapse was played at DfN... that's not what I am talking about. To be clear(er), I hear sounds that are reminiscent of older Aphex tracks (like the "farting bass" in T69 Collapse that sounds similar to the beat in "On").

psst, It was a joke, albeit a lousy one, but still...

:emb:

Also, I'm either going mad, or I'm onto something - I was listening to the EP (again) this morning on the way to work, and I *swear* I hear an Autechre-style sound (can't recall which track) at around 2:12 in 1st 44 that made me think I've heard this before.

Now, I am *not* implying Richard is stealing sounds, or reusing old sounds, etc. - just very odd that I'm getting "auditory deja vu" every time I listen to these fantastic tracks.

Collapse EP might be my favourite Aphex release since ICBYD... yes, I think it is *that* good.

Not hearing any DrukQs influences like others are saying though - this is pure Richard D James genius and despite my recognizing old sounds, is super fresh and innovative. The end of 'abundance' is sublime...

Speaking of which, anybody source that voice sample in 'abundance'? Curious to what exactly the voice is saying and where it is from...

Also, I'm either going mad, or I'm onto something - I was listening to the EP (again) this morning on the way to work, and I *swear* I hear an Autechre-style sound (can't recall which track) at around 2:12 in 1st 44 that made me think I've heard this before.

Perhaps you mean the live recording at Quirky?

Sorry, not sure what you're referring to?

Sorry, not sure what you're referring to?

I mean the droning sound throughout the second track of Quirky, Brixton. There's also some ending bit of Kalpol Introl there. Or do you mean something else?

Several similarities I think .. the beats have many chopped and splintered parts and give off a furious headfuck feeling. Also both albums share some of those melancholy pad progressions. But to me they're more different than similar. Collapse is more like some creepy club for aliens / AI in a future dystopian city, and theyre telling us about some hidden portal promising humans transcendence, whereas Drukqs is like an opus written by machines telling a story of them falling apart and dying out in nature somewhere.

Whether or not I agree w/ the bolded part, I absolutely LOVE that this music made you conjure up these images. Really lovely words/thoughts m8. 

Yeah, in part it's the hyperactivity of the tracks that I think gives me the Drukqs vibe. I threw on some Syro and Drukqs tracks to compare, and what these tracks have is the warmth and analogue-y feel of Syro mixed with the mental hyperspeed organization of Drukqs. It sounds (to my ears) like a evolution incorporating everything that has come before, with new techniques thrown in - which is why it's so exciting. 

It's like this: These tracks are so incredibly packed with detail, that (like my favorite Drukqs tracks), I am sure that I will still be discovering new things even a year down the road (ala Ziggomatic 17, Mt. Saint Michel, etc.) 

Edited by T3551ER

My 3-year-old says he likes 1st 44. But he'll get down on most music. We danced together to Elephant Song

#idmtoddler

Children are open to anything, really. The narrow-mindedness comes later.

I'll never forget the sight of my nephew, when he was two, dancing to 'hello meow' :D