Plus u guys would have said the same thing if you were an adult during the time when come to daddy got onto MTV... Collapse has some mainstream appeal, so it's gonna get some mainstream promo, who cares lol

No. That's not the same, not even remotely. But nice try!

Expand on how this is so utterly different...

Holy wow that was lame af flol

I bailed and am now sitting in a lush sushi restaurant

See if they can do an Aphex logo sushi roll (maybe with a tiny Amazon logo in there too)

Plus u guys would have said the same thing if you were an adult during the time when come to daddy got onto MTV... Collapse has some mainstream appeal, so it's gonna get some mainstream promo, who cares lol

No. That's not the same, not even remotely. But nice try!

Yeah but labels gotta sell records, pressure everywhere. Amazon owns us all now

To be fair, Warp doesn't need and never has needed Amazon to sell records. Especially from one of their biggest signings.

Is there a precedent for Warp doing sponsored tie-ins like this with previous releases?

For all we know Amazon could have bought a majority of warp at this point lol

I guess we can count you as fully on board with this revolutionary and game-changing advertising tie-in, courtesy of Amazon Music.

I bet if Amazon started a vinyl pressing plant with consistently good quality you'd never purchase records produced there, right? ;D

Err, this London thing tonight is quite bizarre. Its the type of thing to do before a video/EP is released for hype, not after. The Amazon sponsorship seems a bit crass.

That's my big question - why are they doing this AFTER the EP has been released? Honestly 90% of the people who would show up to such a thing are probably the folks who are gonna buy the EP anyway...

They're probably going for headlines more than actual people showing up. More people there = better headlines of course, but ultimately Amazon is just trying to promote their own interests, showing they're 'cool and hip and down with the young and weird kids music too!' of course.

The changes to musical access and all the ethical baggage that comes along has ushered a lot of artists intoa new era of patronage. The Medici were a relatively apt comparison to Amazon. But that has no bearing on my love of Michelangelo’s work. Necessity’s a motherfucker.

I guess my theory was incorrect. A man can dream.

Anyhoo, if I was in richard's position and could pad my rare-synth fund a little further with no effort on my part I would probably be like okay yeah cool whatever. Go ahead.

I still don't think it's game changing in any way nor does it bother me. All jokes aside, I think someone like RDJ has beyond proven his commitment to creating music for music's sake and has innovated the space entirely to the point where countless artists draw inspiration from his work. Artists like him who have put in their time and work to give us such awesomeness don't need to pledge allegiance to anything (whether that's an uber underground label, political/economic philsophy or some sort of rigid punk rock tenet that dictates what selling out entails) simply to prove something to their fanbase.

If Aphex decided to produce a track for One Direction tomorrow, I'd be a little offended lol (well maybe more than a little offended), but I wouldn't judge his choice nor be less of a fan of his work.

Edited by Lane Visitor