Tried to check all this fuzz around footwork and nope, couldn't really feel the genre, not my thing. I really like 1st 44 though, maybe I'm listening to it wrong. Find myself snapping fingers along with 1st 44 and MT1. Groovy, baby.

First off: loving Collapse - some of his best work to date IMO.

Second off: Anyone hearing "old" sounds in some of the tracks? I don't want to imply Richard is recycling old sounds (I am 1000% sure he has throughout his musical career though and is really good about tweaking them so they sound new and original), but sometimes I get a feeling of recognition during some of the tracks with certain sounds (I need to sit down and write down the times in each track to identify them for sure).

Anyone else notice or feel this?

Oh you adorable dotard, ie. Collapse (the track) sounds familiar as Rich played it at Houston...and you were there yourself :dadjoke:

Slipknot vs Korn

It was always about Coal Chamber

World's Most Username

Second off: Anyone hearing "old" sounds in some of the tracks? I don't want to imply Richard is recycling old sounds (I am 1000% sure he has throughout his musical career though and is really good about tweaking them so they sound new and original), but sometimes I get a feeling of recognition during some of the tracks with certain sounds (I need to sit down and write down the times in each track to identify them for sure).

Definitely no old sounds in this. It's all 120% next level.

Well you certainly have better-tuned ears than I probably do, so it's likely I'm hearing things that aren't there.

I heard one or two sounds on my first and second listens that made me think the same thing. Listening through again, can't find much. There's a few moments that remind me of On, but nothing concrete.

Best I can come up with is the sound palette on pthex is very much close to Syro (not "old" i know). I keep thinking i'm going to hear that sound at 3:48 of s950tx16wasr10 [16397][earth portal mix]

Shoot man, I think Richard is playing tricks with our minds. Such a signature sound. Almost like he knows how to echo ghosts of his former works without actually sampling or using the same patches.

If you want to listen to something amusing / frightening / lame listen to Slipknot's EP they did before Corey Taylor joined on vox. They had some lame Mr Bungle-esque funk metal tracks that were not good.

On topic though, Collapse is good. Been listening to it most days. Really like all of the tracks really - feels like a very cohesive selection of tracks - run length is good - and i'm not bored at any time listening to it. It definitely did scratch the itch i had wanting some aphex beats and i think i'll be able to appreciate the tracks for a long time to come. Abundance is the track i get into the least of the selection of tracks - despite knowing it is the lushest.

I feel the same way, Abundance should be my favorite, I'm a sucker for his lush melodies and Tuss/HAB-like vocal samples, the Tuss is some of his best stuff,  but not his absolute best, that would be Drukqs, and MT1, 1st 44 and Pthex gives me some of those dark, complex and intricate Drukqs vibes, so those are the ones I'm listening to mainly. 

I've had 2 CD-in-the-car listens... somehow skipping "MT1" both times inexplicably and then it popped up on my home-system on vinyl and i was very pleasantly surprised (id avoided leeks and reviews).....

The whole thing is growing on me nicely. Great little EP... still very much digesting it

Tried to check all this fuzz around footwork and nope, couldn't really feel the genre, not my thing. I really like 1st 44 though, maybe I'm listening to it wrong. Find myself snapping fingers along with 1st 44 and MT1. Groovy, baby.

Oh you adorable dotard, ie. Collapse (the track) sounds familiar as Rich played it at Houston...and you were there yourself :dadjoke:

I know Collapse was played at DfN... that's not what I am talking about. To be clear(er), I hear sounds that are reminiscent of older Aphex tracks (like the "farting bass" in T69 Collapse that sounds similar to the beat in "On").

RE: promotion - I don't think they've gone overboard with promotion - as pointed out with DrukQs, there was a lot more promotion (videos, stickers, posters, several versions, limited editions, etc.). Even Syro didn't have as much promotion as DrukQs did.

It might be all building up to something... or it's just standard promotional stuff!

WARP ain't selling like in 1998, kids these days don't give a fuck about IDM.

We're all pretty much now listening to dad-rock version of electronic music.

Struggling to think about how Aphex or Ae could compare to “dad rock” just cause kids aren’t listening...

WARP ain't selling like in 1998, kids these days don't give a fuck about IDM.

We're all pretty much now listening to dad-rock version of electronic music.

hard to say. we sell some records in the synth shop i work in and a lot of young people come in and buy older music. we have a small heavily curated record selection. lot's of classic electronic music, old old computer music and 60s/70s stuff and noise/power electronics and more recent aphex/clark/autechre/boc etc etc.. a lot of younger people are still discovering 'our' classics. :)

but i don't think any music sells like it used to. except lil xan suburban  mumble rap and the eagles hotel california represses. 

It might be all building up to something... or it's just standard promotional stuff!

Yeah I had considered this. Seems like excessive hype for an ep. I am reminded that originally L-event was supposed to be released before exai

Orbital were asked "Aphex Twin or Autechre?" Both said Aphex Twin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrzB8A6h6CA

lol the track, subcount and viewcount is pathetic and sad. They should hire agents of The Prodigy.
Orbital have never been good at videos.

The Box video was good.