IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

29 minutes ago, bendish said:

Anyone get a chance to read the sunday times uk article on the tories absolute cock up on covid...I'd even go as far as suggest buying a copy. Incredible. And in the tory press as well. If they survive 5 minutes after a semblence of normalcy returns, the electorate is officially irredeemable. 

hear it is, sans paywall: https://archive.is/20200418182037/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, hijexx said:

Who would be fighting who in US Civil War II? What would they be fighting over?

we just need a balkanization of our stupid country.  basically just along the time zones. we're too big and we're about 4 or 5 different countries anyway, culturally, economically, geographically. we already have a completely ineffectual federal government and we're seeing various neighboring states band together in this crisis. would not be that surprised if something like this happens in the next 50 years. a man can dream

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

we just need a balkanization of our stupid country.  basically just along the time zones. we're too big and we're about 4 or 5 different countries anyway, culturally, economically, geographically. we already have a completely ineffectual federal government and we're seeing various neighboring states band together in this crisis. would not be that surprised if something like this happens in the next 50 years. a man can dream

If the US split up into a number of nations, what would happen to the inflated military and secret services? Would they run rampant without an empire they belong to?

48 minutes ago, caze said:

To quote The Sopranos, “they gotta go”.

The bit about inquiries is galling. Think of Hillsborough & how long that took, cash for questions etc.

40 minutes ago, darreichungsform said:

If the US split up into a number of nations, what would happen to the inflated military and secret services? Would they run rampant without an empire they belong to?

Snowcrash. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darreichungsform said:

Military ground forces would probably be concentrated in Texas and North Carolina. Secret Services around DC area most likely.

• Haha 1

Australia & NZ are looking very optimistic right now. Australia had the gradual "suppression" strategy and NZ the slightly more restrictive immediate "elimination" strategy (no schools open, no hairdressers open, less random leaving of house). Both appear to have exceeded expectations.

Both are currently at single digit new cases per day (only 2 of the 8 Australian states and territories recorded new cases yesterday). NZ has 12 deaths and Australia 71, with cases generally traceable to overseas travelers, cruise ships and identified clusters rather than running wild in the community. Australia will maintain what has worked for approx. another 4 weeks whilst getting the "test, trace, isolate" in place to control any sudden outbreaks from then on and hopefully prevent the dreaded economically disastrous lockdown 2.0 cycle. NZ (which might have taken slightly more of an economic hit) is now ready to ease to more of an Australia-level restriction as of next week.

Winter is a couple weeks away, and hopefully the vaccine isn't years away. Economy and international interaction will obviously be a struggle. Elderly with comorbidity will probably have to brace for a good while of lifestyle restraint.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, hijexx said:

Who would be fighting who in US Civil War II? What would they be fighting over?

The rest of the world would be made to help out, probably man the frontlines as well, and they'll expect the world's media to care about every skirmish. Puerto Ricans and Mexican aliens would be made infantry. China's imports of popcorn would skyrocket.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 1

As a species, we've done quantum leaps before when the conditions demanded it but vaccine pipelines operate in decades currently. Like a moon landing, it would be cool to see the world pull in one direction and develop an effective vaccine but I don't think it's gonna be in the cards. This concludes today's cold piss shower. 

• Like 4

...how would they know no one's contracted it from food packaging?  How was this conclusion reached?  If it can live on surfaces, it can live on food packaging so...  Saying it can't be transmitted from food packaging is a HUGE claim.  I realize saying "no confirmed cases" isn't the same as saying it can't happen.  But how can they confirm what specifically made ANYone sick?  Might be someone who coughed near me on a walk, might be a metal pole I touched before picking my nose... might be a box of kraft dinner betty sneezed on before I picked it up at the grocery store.  At least give us some indication of why they feel this wouldn't be possible vs. why touching other surfaces might be risky.  Sounds like total cognitive dissonance to me.

• Like 3
  • Burger 1

5 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

The federal government has been run by turd lobbers since January 2017. I'm not taking any chances.

• Haha 1

Denmark and Poland are refusing to bail out companies registered in offshore tax havens[/quote]

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-companies-tax-havens-banned-denmark-poland-bailout-2020-4%3famp

Edited by randomsummer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Farnsworth 1