IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

The contenders at the recent Oscars now seem a little curious in hindsight:

1917 (Spanish flu cases began to appear during late 1917 prior to being defined as a pandemic/chaos of large-scale upheaval)

Parasite (virus spread reliant on human hosts/medical issue/self-interested dependency)

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (they don't make em like they used to, because they can't)

Edited by Roo

1 hour ago, hijexx said:

For finance/economics nerds, Real Vision Finance has some solid videos on the current macro picture. Here's one of the latest.

TLDW: People needed yield after the last global financial crisis and started using leverage. All of that is unwinding now.

The guy lists himself as an independent analyst, who just happens to be sponsored by refinitiv (massive financial data firm). 
People have been over leveraged since forever,  but y’all should definitely try and time the market. Lol

22 minutes ago, Enthusiast said:

To be honest I don't expect politicians to understand virology etc, it sounds like they are under the advisement of scientists that know their shit and are changing their course. That's good right?

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

this coronavirus induced economic collapse is the greatest thing to happen to the world in the recent memory.  if you aren't preparing for a post-capitalist society and aligning yourself with impending anarchy and communism you're bluepilled as fuck

• Facepalm 6
  • Farnsworth 1

1 hour ago, chenGOD said:

The guy lists himself as an independent analyst, who just happens to be sponsored by refinitiv (massive financial data firm). 
People have been over leveraged since forever,  but y’all should definitely try and time the market. Lol

Not for me! Most people lose their hat trading.

9 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

I heard if you eat it, you win. 

then you can poop out the toilet paper you ate and wipe your butt w/toilet paper poop and then eat it again... fully self sustaining toilet paper based system

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1

2020 might end up being one of the most memorable years in Australia's history.

Start the year with a pandemic of hellish bushfires, apparently half a billion animals die. Global warming future looks grim.

Manage a tennis grand slam: "Australia is open for business x 1000, visit and invest, we aren't all burnt to a crisp like you might think"

Angst over potential WW3 kicking off between Iran and their nemesis, which would probably pull us in against our will

Several weeks later: "belay the last, no foreigners unless you like a few weeks in quarantine"

COVID-19 in an economy already gasping after the bushfires and one of the most vulnerable to China

Strong possibility that the football seasons will fail to complete for the first time in their long history

Easter and ANZAC Day look set to be dead

Winter is coming (southern hemisphere)

Mad Max might turn out to be a reality (even if we succeed against the virus)

For anyone temporarily out of work, now is a really good time to apply for one of the many delivery apps that's in pretty much every city by this point.  People are ordering takeout like there's no tomorrow (end-of-world pun intended).

• Like 2

Ok I’m at work and believe me, French lockdown is a fucking joke, there’s no lockdown everybody is at work., wasn’t joking about France aiming for the number one spot...

Edited by d-a-m-o
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Zeffolia said:

this coronavirus induced economic collapse is the greatest thing to happen to the world in the recent memory.  if you aren't preparing for a post-capitalist society and aligning yourself with impending anarchy and communism you're bluepilled as fuck

do you have any idea how incredibly privileged a position this is? do you think the average worker who suffers the most under these kind of situations gives two fucks about these very white very private college stinking takes?

"oh yeah I am sick to death, no way to provide food or a future to my family but it's fine because it's all for the greater utopian good"

honestly, this attitude is in large part the reason left populism has lost every single test it has been put trough in recent memory. accelerationist trash.

• Like 4

Just now, MIXL2 said:

do you have any idea how incredibly privileged a position this is? do you think the average worker who suffers the most under these kind of situations gives two fucks about these very white very private college stinking takes?

"oh yeah I am sick to death, no way to provide food or a future to my family but it's fine because it's all for the greater utopian good"

honestly, this attitude is in large part the reason left populism has lost every single test it has been put trough in recent memory. accelerationist trash.

you think i'm an accelerationist? if acceleration is happening i can't help but point it out.  i want to remove this entire system so that no more acceleration is possible.  if it's happening and i can point it out, you can bet your life i'm going to point it out.  you on the other hand are trying to deny it and play feelings politics with me, getting mad that i'm merely pointing it out.  i want private property abolished in favor of communal property so that NOBODY is in poverty, and the current acceleration is evidence that this needs to be done.  but me pointing that out is wrong, and your feelings politics of focusing merely on the crisis at hand rather than the larger superstructural problems are in your view more humane, I say they are not

1 minute ago, Zeffolia said:

you on the other hand are trying to deny it and play feelings politics with me, getting mad that i'm merely pointing it out.

oh fuck right off, you saying it's a good thing is prescriptive language. I might take you seriously if you weren't spending every other post shitting out these takes.

Just now, MIXL2 said:

oh fuck right off, you saying it's a good thing is prescriptive language. I might take you seriously if you weren't spending every other post shitting out these takes.

you're right that post is shitty in that aspect, but it was, to me, clearly within the political economic context, not the humanistic medical context.