IGNORED

Squid - Sludge (Warp Records)

thumbass

• 1 month later...

It’s like a machine tried to copy truly transgressive guitar music or something. Singer sounds like an upperclass twat playacting Mark E. Smith.

Every attempt Warp has made at signing rock bands is like this: too polished, too clean, unconvincing. Can’t fault them for trying and sometimes they’ve hit upon an entertaining song or two, but in the end it’s just not in their DNA.

On 3/24/2020 at 3:07 PM, thumbass said:

warp what is this ...

Oh, so thats what this is.  I've heard this like a million times on 6music and every time I just wanna knock the singers teeth out so he can scrape them up off the floor himself.

No.

23 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

It’s like a machine tried to copy truly transgressive guitar music or something. Singer sounds like an upperclass twat playacting Mark E. Smith.

Every attempt Warp has made at signing rock bands is like this: too polished, too clean, unconvincing. Can’t fault them for trying and sometimes they’ve hit upon an entertaining song or two, but in the end it’s just not in their DNA.

Well... Broadcast, Stereolab, Battles, Tortoise, Grizzly Bear.

• Like 4

On 3/24/2020 at 3:07 PM, thumbass said:

warp what is this ...

Listening to that reminded me of another time I listened to a tune I thought was shit

3 hours ago, Gocab said:

Well... Broadcast, Stereolab, Battles, Tortoise, Grizzly Bear.

Stereolab and Tortoise were already big before Warp signed them (and arguably did not do their best work on Warp). The other three I'm not too fond of (in various degrees).

To be honest, though, I had forgotten about those bands you named. I was mainly thinking of Maximo Park. 

16 hours ago, Kid Lukie said:

?

Actually enjoyed this as opposed to the track in OP; cool building layers of perc. Nicely mixed with all the sounds in there by the climax. Vocals are a little iffy.

13 hours ago, Goiter Sanchez said:

Actually enjoyed this as opposed to the track in OP; cool building layers of perc. Nicely mixed with all the sounds in there by the climax. Vocals are a little iffy.

Vocals ruin the entire track

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Thought I should at least attempt to listen to this band seeing as they are signed to my favourite label. Made it 3/4 through one of their recent Spotify tracks and switched off. I think it was the vocals that irked me. Oh well maybe the youngsters like it ?