12 hours ago, ooqpoo said:

The Empty Man. this was surprisingly good, effective horror. 

I watched this recently and thought it was not good. I don't like quitting movies once I've started them and this one really punished me for sticking with it. it's way too long for how thin the story is, which is basically YA-level horror that reuses too many tired old tropes around cults and possession. it looked nice I guess, but it really could have been cut better.

I had to laugh when

Spoiler

I realised the reason I cared so little about the protagonist is not just because his backstory is weak and not well drawn together, but literally because he's not a real person

opinions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by usagi
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Lords of Chaos - entertaining, but totally whitewashed story of Mayhem, with not a Scandinavian accent in sight. The gore effects were good, like a low budget horror flick, but it's disappointing Varg only served 15 years for viciously hacking his bandmate to death for no reason based in reality. Hammy dialogue at the end too, like "see? now I'm dead"

Is this your take from the movie? His reason was well articulated by Varg thru the years in prison and after that -- he thought he was gonna get killed first. He may be delusional, but we don't know it. He didn't even claim self-defence in the court as it wasn't a self-defence legally.

Especially whitewashed is having Cohen play Varg, that's based for sure, the depiction should be unbiased for sure.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/qV8vrK6QG3IB/

1 hour ago, Amen Lare said:

Is this your take from the movie? His reason was well articulated by Varg thru the years in prison and after that -- he thought he was gonna get killed first. He may be delusional, but we don't know it. He didn't even claim self-defence in the court as it wasn't a self-defence legally.

Especially whitewashed is having Cohen play Varg, that's based for sure, the depiction should be unbiased for sure.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/qV8vrK6QG3IB/

He was delusional. Haven’t heard this tale before:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/mayhems-necrobutcher-was-on-his-way-to-kill-euronymous-varg-just-got-there-first

1 hour ago, Rubin Farr said:

1 hour ago, usagi said:

delusion is a central part of his psyche.

I see, experts in delusion. Anyway I was commenting on the certain incident. Again, you can't know what exactly happened there (there was a fight). If this movie depicts it as paranoidal murder or whatever, it's just predictable slander for Varg's having "wrong" views.

• Facepalm 1

he's slandered himself plenty with his ravings. it's a bad movie about a bunch of idiot kids who never grew out of their juvenility. I'll take the music with a bit of mental insurance though, cheers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Amen Lare said:

I see, experts in delusion. Anyway I was commenting on the certain incident. Again, you can't know what exactly happened there (there was a fight). If this movie depicts it as paranoidal murder or whatever, it's just predictable slander for Varg's having "wrong" views.

You may want to look into a fuckin' mirror for that "experts on delusion" line. 

1. How do you know what is and is not slander in this situation while you simultaneously confirm you don't know specifics?

2. Why the scare quotes about "wrong"?

On 7/3/2021 at 9:03 AM, prdctvsm said:

so/so

i ended up watching this and really liked some of the acting and the look of the film, thanks:)

here's a cleaner print to watch

• Farnsworth 1

1 hour ago, Rubin Farr said:

is In The Earth any good? It’s plastered all over my Instagram 

dunno, but wheatley is a solid director..kill list, high rise..should/could be decent

Edited by iococoi
  • Like 1

It's ok. A field in England goes covid. Lots of stuff I liked, but it's kind of half baked.

Still, compared to the usual horror dredge on offer it's brilliant.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Silent Member said:

It's ok. A field in England goes covid. Lots of stuff I liked, but it's kind of half baked.

Still, compared to the usual horror dredge on offer it's brilliant.

Yeah enjoyed but totally fell apart in the last quarter. Had no idea that was Reece Shearsmith until I saw his name in the end credits either.

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

this is one of those classic films that has been on my mental "need to watch" list for so long, that I somehow end up forgetting to ever watch the damn thing. I'm a fan of the HBO show Carnivale, and The Night of the Hunter always came up being discussed on the old imdb boards as one to watch if you like Carnivale. the dueling motifs of good vs. evil, the preacher vs. the kid. these themes are shared in both, and I'd suspect TNOTH influenced the creator of Carnivale (as did the Ray Bradbury novel, Something Wicked This Way Comes).

anyway, I can't say anything new about this film that hasn't been said before. it is not scary, but suspenseful, for sure. 10/10 cinematography. some of the ideas in the movies seemed ahead of their time - Robert Mitchum as the unstoppable terminator like force. the take-no-shit strong female heroine. the psychotic dialogue with and mistreatment of the young kids. just seems like that wasn't the norm for a typical movie back in 1955. but I dunno, I'm no expert on films from the '50s. maybe there were more like that.

glad I finally watched it.

• Like 1

finally got around to watching Upgrade. thought it was generally well-executed and fun, but it had no real hooks and I won't remember it. could've done without the dumb plot twists, thanks Saw guy for not being able to resist inserting that kind of hack shit.

p3450_p_v10_aa.jpg

Fun and campy. Also dialogue from this interspersed so wonderfully overtop of B12's classic Soundtrack of Space on Blech.

tomorrow_war.jpg

Awful and not campy. I watched it so you don't have to.

• Like 3