9 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

i love this flick. tarantino's best imo. not boring at all. 

imo:

I'm somewhere between you two. I think it was his worst directorial effort, but i wouldn't go so far as to call it it boring. his other films do tend to have more depth and layers going on to keep me interested.

I could see someone really latching onto Hollywood's world-building.. but curious why you think it's his best? Have you seen pulp fiction or resivoir dogs?

8 hours ago, Stickfigger said:

Tomorrow War was the worst film i've seen in a while. I can't believe they pushed ahead with making and releasing the film given how lame the dialogue was.

They’re already making a sequel. Lame mid-tier streaming movies are here to stay, unfortunately.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, markedone said:

Have you seen pulp fiction or resivoir dogs?

i have. "hollywood" is better imo because it feels effortless. it's captivating despite the super simple plot. also, i'm a big dicaprio fan, i love his character and brad pitt's, their relationship, and the overall atmosphere.

• Like 3

Black Widow - pretty much a G.I. Joe movie, incredibly flimsy plot, and everyone just kind of disappears in the finale, to show up later for a group hug. Very heavy on the “men bad, women good” trope. It’s good to have new movies during COVID, but this is a “C” grade Marvel movie.

Finally watched Spring last night, great stuff.  A love story with horror elements. 

The first half an hour starts off feeling like the other Benson and Moorhead films, great natural dialogue and humour.  But you don't really know where the film is going.  There's some pretty intense music as he enters the hostel which makes you sit back and think that this is it....

5 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

i love this flick. tarantino's best imo. not boring at all. 

Finished watching it. It was certainly alluring and very well shot and the acting was great but I couldn't help but feel that most of what I was seeing was completely useless to a plot that severely lacked substance. Not a bad film by any measure but just boring and it dragged on and on and on.

Certainly not his best film lol.

Edited by milkface

8 hours ago, milkface said:

Finished watching it. It was certainly alluring and very well shot and the acting was great but I couldn't help but feel that most of what I was seeing was completely useless to a plot that severely lacked substance. Not a bad film by any measure but just boring and it dragged on and on and on.

Certainly not his best film lol.

how can people not get "hollywood" lol. it's not about plot. not all movies are about plot. It is an incredibly sophisticated film on nearly every level, much more so than basically anything shown in theaters in the last 5 or 10 years. Such a shame that people don't seem to want to even try and understand it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

28 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

how can people not get "hollywood" lol. it's not about plot. not all movies are about plot. It is an incredibly sophisticated film on nearly every level, much more so than basically anything shown in theaters in the last 5 or 10 years. Such a shame that people don't seem to want to even try and understand it.

boringgggggggg + pretentious

anyways watched midsommar (2019) and blue spring (2002) today. a lot less boring for that matter.

Edited by milkface

32 minutes ago, milkface said:

boringgggggggg + pretentious

anyways watched midsommar (2019) and blue spring (2002) today. a lot less boring for that matter.

lol i guess we're just built different. midsommar was overindulgent trash.

• Like 1

the island of dr. moreau

this has been on my list forever, mostly because of brando. the story synopsis never intrigued me enough to watch it with anticipation, and then i completely forgot about it. i admit, the val kilmer thread reminded me of this movie, and since i really had nothing better to do, i searched yt, and bam, there it is, a complete version. oh boy, what a madness. when douglas witnessed the shit on the island the movie kind of got hilarious to me, i just couldn't take it seriously (why they never showed the pregnant monster anymore?!). everything was just so cartoonish, especially the way that actor played douglas. i though it was supposed to be goofy, or something, and the way brando portrayed dr. moreau did not help with this first impression. he did a marvelous job, btw, really enjoyed it. but then the message of the movie started to seep through, i thought, sheeeet, this is on point. i really liked the ending.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

lol i guess we're just built different. midsommar was overindulgent trash.

yeah you have to be to sit through 2 and a half hours of shite

as for midsommar i just liked the shock value and it's something a little different to what i normally watch

Edited by milkface

23 minutes ago, cichlisuite said:

the island of dr. moreau

this has been on my list forever, mostly because of brando. the story synopsis never intrigued me enough to watch it with anticipation, and then i completely forgot about it. i admit, the val kilmer thread reminded me of this movie, and since i really had nothing better to do, i searched yt, and bam, there it is, a complete version. oh boy, what a madness. when douglas witnessed the shit on the island the movie kind of got hilarious to me, i just couldn't take it seriously (why they never showed the pregnant monster anymore?!). everything was just so cartoonish, especially the way that actor played douglas. i though it was supposed to be goofy, or something, and the way brando portrayed dr. moreau did not help with this first impression. he did a marvelous job, btw, really enjoyed it. but then the message of the movie started to seep through, i thought, sheeeet, this is on point. i really liked the ending.

you gotta watch this- https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3966544/

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

On 7/9/2021 at 7:48 PM, Stickfigger said:

Tomorrow War was the worst film i've seen in a while. I can't believe they pushed ahead with making and releasing the film given how lame the dialogue was.

Never mind the dialogue, the whole fucking film is implausible. 

Spoiler

Think about the opening: yeah we’re just gonna drop civilians into a war zone with no training. 
Or that they could have spent the 40 years or whatever it was hunting down the origin spot of the White Spikes.

or that by giving Chris Pratt the solution, the whole fucking movie never could have happened (what time paradox?)

19 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

i have. "hollywood" is better imo because it feels effortless. it's captivating despite the super simple plot. also, i'm a big dicaprio fan, i love his character and brad pitt's, their relationship, and the overall atmosphere.

I “liked” your answer, but Reservoir Dogs holds a special place because it was so fucking refreshing when it came out. That said OUATIH is probably tied for #2 with Pulp Fiction. 

6 hours ago, nikisoko said:

you gotta watch this- https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3966544/

Seriously. The story of the making of the movie is about as crazy as the movie itself. 

Spoiler

That bit about the director not being allowed back on set and him sneaking back in one of the monster costumes is :emotawesomepm9:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cichlisuite said:

interesting. it seems the production was in trouble and the final movie deviated from the original vision. i'll check it out. thanks.

Understatement 

On 7/10/2021 at 1:49 PM, dr lopez said:

hope you don't mind if i comment on this:

i somewhat agree but also disagree.  i think tarantino has "incredibly sophisticated" films mainly because he chooses to concentrate on the "what else was happening" angle in any story: eg in ouatia, he focuses on the lives of a washed up actor and his stunt double during the tate & labianca murders. in the hateful 8, he focuses on the happenings in small store after the civil war. something about his treatment always feels like there is a bigger picture rather than what he showed (especially with pulp & dogs).

where i disagree is his dialogue. every character basically sounds like tarantino. as an example- in this film there is a scene where roger dalton is between takes, and one of the other actors (a little girl) begins to give him some encourage. she's as long winded as any other character in his film, as is rick later when he and cliff booth are arguing about the actors in a tv show. 

the dialogue is always interesting and very strongly opined which makes it a little easier to ignore, but it's such a strong voice that i feel like it hampers some most of his films to cross over to "anything shown in theaters in the last 5 or 10 years."

418I0K-rAoL.jpg

this was great, and also, quite "eye opening"

220px-The_Best_of_Enemies_2019_poster.jp

typical made-for-tv based on true events" film that (i'm suspecting) was an attempt to get henson a best actress nomination, but she's trying overdoing it. also the switch for CP feels as realistic as the one for danny vinyard in AHX

• Like 1

Need to take my mind off this fucking football match.

Watched The Master. Yeah my kind of film. 8.5/10

Also rewatched There Will Be Blood, which I didn’t realise was by the same director. That’s another high score, better than The Master so I guess a 9/10.

I guess I should seek out his other films.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Need to take my mind off this fucking football match.

Watched The Master. Yeah my kind of film. 8.5/10

Also rewatched There Will Be Blood, which I didn’t realise was by the same director. That’s another high score, better than The Master so I guess a 9/10.

I guess I should seek out his other films.

Hard Eight

• Like 2