On 7/27/2021 at 10:01 PM, MaartenVC said:

Pig (2021)

Pig (2021)
"A truffle hunter who lives alone in the Oregonian wilderness must return to his past in Portland in search of his beloved foraging pig after she is kidnapped."
Directed by: Michael Sarnoski
Written by: Vanessa Block, Michael Sarnoski
With: Nicolas Cage, Alex Wolff, Adam Arkin

My opinion:
I really liked this movie.
I highly recommend giving it a watch.
Calm, touching, great cinematography, good acting, layered, real.
One of the better movies of recent years imo.
?

?

Red Letter Media also reviewed it very recently:

Hide contents

just watched this, it was a really sweet film! The name of Nic's fine looking hog is Brandy and there's more info on her here https://moviepaws.com/2021/07/17/all-about-the-pig-in-the-new-nicolas-cage-movie/

It doesn't mention the type of hog, but it seems like Brandy could be one of these, a Kunekune ^^

kunekune-4962022_1280.webp

Edited by ooqpoo
  • Like 1

Spree. felt like a Black Mirror episode on social media/streamers and does a pretty good job at capturing the hyperness of that culture which freaked me out to be honest, be prepared for lots of scrolling text all over the screen and handheld camera action 

i tried to watch Hail, Caesar! but i couldn’t make past the first like 15-20 minutes. i was just bored and confused and felt sorry for the movie for some reason.

15 hours ago, auxien said:

i tried to watch Hail, Caesar! but i couldn’t make past the first like 15-20 minutes. i was just bored and confused and felt sorry for the movie for some reason.

It sounds like the Coens might be done making movies together 

https://movies.mxdwn.com/news/coen-bros-split-ethan-didnt-want-to-make-movies-anymore/

Saw for the first time at a drive-in last night. So wonderfully bizarre! Great production design and effects

BE4992E1-CF4A-439C-B69B-5F9A618F4E84.jpeg

Edited by YELLOW
  • Like 5
  • Big Brain 1

22 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

The Suicide Squad (2021) - how is this getting good reviews?

Ahh, man, I loved it.  I'm a huge James Gunn fan so that probably sways me. I will say a)there are some weird pacing issues that makes me think there were scenes cut that would have added to the narrative flow and b)I really think I would have enjoyed this way more in a theater/with an audience. There are moments that I can kind of conjure a crowd in my head to, but think this probably plays best with a packed house.

I'd give it an 8.5/10 on the James Gunn scale (it would be higher on normal scale, just not his best work IMOP). 

On 8/7/2021 at 5:17 PM, auxien said:

i tried it again after seeing it in theaters when it was released. I don't really understand it... I think you might need to know a lot about 50s hollywood but its not that funny or dramatic or anything... gave up after scarjos disaster of new york accent or something who the hell knows what she was doing

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Ahh, man, I loved it.  I'm a huge James Gunn fan so that probably sways me. I will say a)there are some weird pacing issues that makes me think there were scenes cut that would have added to the narrative flow and b)I really think I would have enjoyed this way more in a theater/with an audience. There are moments that I can kind of conjure a crowd in my head to, but think this probably plays best with a packed house.

I'd give it an 8.5/10 on the James Gunn scale (it would be higher on normal scale, just not his best work IMOP). 

Yep. I watched it last night in the movie theatre. I thought it was a blast. I liked how silly it was at times. A human/ shark, really? But it works.

• Like 1

Sorcerer (1977)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076740/

Sorcerer77poster.jpg

Man, that's some movie. It's the second adaptation of the Arnaud's novel Wages of Fear, the first being Clouzot's adaptation from 1953. It's not a remake of the Clouzot's film, rather an interpretation of its own. It's different in many aspects. The character introduction alone takes almost half the film time, and the characters are developed in a different way (not worse or better, just different). and this one is much more technical of the driving and vehicle aspects. The trucks themselves are characters of its own, just incredible. The jungle of the "culo del diablo" in some gritty, rusty and dangerous backwater of South America is exactly what you'd expect. Inhabited by a colorful collection of criminals, runaways, grifters, terrorists, guerillas... Tangerine Dream made the soundtrack and it's strangely appropriate, adds to the grimness and gives that psychedelic undertone to it. I really really liked this one, maybe more "real" than Clouzot's, which is still one of my favorites. And the ending...well...fuck

Edited by cichlisuite
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

MV5BMTUzNDAyNzAyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDA2

i doubt the director of this film had final cut in the way their subject was portrayed (or the director was very biased in how they presented their subject)- but geffen is a guy that realized a long time ago he needed to be around "powerful" people and had to figure out what asset he could have that gave him this privilege. would geffen had turned into who he was had his peers realized he was gay (or did they know and not care?). curiously- this doc doesn't ask or even poke at this (he was almost engaged to cher), but it's happy to tell you that he had no problem telling everyone he was gay. when he knew it was to his advantage. 

Dunkirk. I could be wrong but I’m sure watmm wasn’t so keen on this when it was released. I admit I enjoyed it and liked the way it was put together. Especially the scenes involving the Spitfires. Great ending as well.

Munich. It was alright! Bit long but it was okay. Wouldn’t watch it again though.

i watched 3 last night since it came out. it's wack as fuck and kinda stupid. it looks pretty good but there's a lot of really stupid shit in there. Why couldn't the shinji dystopia just be in his head from his exertions at the end of 2 and he wakes up and it's all ok? Thinking about watching the new one tonight but not sure i'll make it....

I loved the original Neon Genesis Evangelion series.

About the movies:
Although they look absolutely stunning I thought the pacing felt a bit off, at least for sure in the first 2 movies, but maybe that's just something inevitable when translating a series into a movie.
Or maybe I'm just being nostalgic and I just can't let go of the originals.

Damn, now I kinda want to watch the series all over again for the n'th time. ?

On 8/8/2021 at 3:51 PM, Rubin Farr said:

The Suicide Squad (2021) - how is this getting good reviews?

I found it cringy, it tries way too hard. I think it may even be worse than the other Suicide Squad. 

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

MV5BOWEwMzk2OGUtZmY0NC00MjM5LTgzY2YtNjRh

even in the annals of b-movies, this one has a special place in complete stupidity. a bunch of guys trying to find a sunken ship somehow go to atlantis. 
atlantis is overruled by gangs that looks like punks that are mute- save for one guy that yells who to attack. 

the entire movie is based on the guys who discovered atlantis running away from the gangs (who represent the entire civilization of atlantis) with no interest of attempting to understand how they got into their current predicament so they can un-do it

I watched the Suicide Squad. Wow, this was beyond terrible. I just don't understand how it has good reviews.

I rewatched Snatch and Knives Out. Snatch definitely isn't as good as I remember, but still fun. More contrived than I recalled. Knives Out still excellent.

• Like 1