IGNORED

Plaid - Reachy Prints

jlobkob

Yeah, Girl/Boy EP. But it's the only version available in my country and it doesn't say "Richard D James Album + Girl/Boy EP" so I consider it part of the album.

Lots of albums get japanese only tracks, I figure it's kind of the same thing. An extra 10 mins of tracks for North America.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I do not consider Girl/Boy EP a part of the album. And at the time it was released, RDJ said something about him having problems concentrating more than 30 mins, and that he wanted to release a short album. I think the album the way "it was meant to be" is his finest work, and the B-sides from the EP, is not really up to those standards. Beatles and Milk Man are fun tracks, but not much more. Although most of my favorite albums are longer, I just like the idea that one album=one vinyl record.

When the album was first announced, the press releases stated a digital release on 18th April which has since been removed from more recent articles. Could we be in for a delicious treat on this dreary Good Friday?

http://www.factmag.com/2014/03/19/plaid-reveal-forthcoming-album-reachy-prints-hear-new-track-hawkmoth/

Interesting. Maybe just a typo on the month though. We shall see!

As far as I know, official release date is May 16th.

They've got really interesting production, but the tracks themselves just don't take me anywhere. Ends up sounding a bit tame.

Ropen is great though. Like that one. And Hawkmoth

• 3 weeks later...

Two listens today and I already prefer it to Scintilli. Wallet is absolutely beautiful. Slam and Matin Lunaire also strike me as something a little different for them.

Guest PaSaul

Already on my 10th listen and its definitely a grower. The cohesion between the tracks are just perfectly executed and the production is top notch as usual with Plaid. But yes slam, wallet and matin lunaire are the stand-out track, but there no weak moments on Reachy Prints. Highly recommended!

Early contender for the best album of 2014 IMHO :cool:

I know what you mean about it sounding 'expensive'. It has such a beautiful, rich, refined, punchy overall sound. It sounds good at a moderate volume, but I can also crank it and it never sounds shrill, and it never has frequencies that bounce out in annoying ways. It sounds uniquely great. I understand this is the result of hard work, and that their sounds and mixing are top-notch and polished (as well as inventive) - but is there more going on? Mastering?

This album is very special and deserves to do very well. It has made my summer all the more enjoyable!

A few more listens and this album now has its hooks in me, in a way Scintilli never quite managed. The only two tracks I've yet to really get into are 'Oh' and 'Tether', which I find simply very good. As for the rest, I find it hard to describe how great they are without using expletives. This is my favourite Plaid work since P-Brane and Spokes, and possibly surpasses the latter. Also looking to getting the Japanese CD. Only heard a snippet of 'Away', but their Japanese bonus tracks to date have been pretty much bang-on.

Very likely album of 2014 for me.

Guest trananhhung

It's just the perfect Plaid album they've been aiming for their entire career. No fillers, just straight to the point rythmic melodical songs, highly sophisticated. It never goes unecessarily dark and keeps the sweetness for 40 minutes. It's all honey and incredible synth work.

With this and the latest Ben Frost, I'm really happy lately. :)

Archived