IGNORED

Venetian Snares - Traditional Synthesizer Music

WeAreOceans

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still waiting for the CD and Bonus CD to come in the mail, but from what I've heard so far on the record (I'm 6 tracks in) it sounds a bit more like Last Step than Snares, that isn't a complaint either, just an observation. I wish that the record wasn't mixed so damn loud, though. I'm getting Ufabulum vibes.

Listened to main album, is awesome!

Listening to bonus disc, just as good! I feared that it being 'alternate takes' it would mean 'barely noticeable versions' but no, these are different enough to be worth it. Noice.

Cool interview. Nice to see that he's embracing the limitations. The one thing that was always hard for me enjoy about some of his music is his tendency to like 7 times out of 10 just go batshit-crazy, and hit you with a drum rush akin to an Apache-mounted M230 chain gun that's mowing down an enemy outpost. Not that I don't enjoy it from time to time, but dude has been pretty relentless. Here you can still hear a lot going on, but the synths can breathe and I actually do prefer that the beats aren't as center stage and demanding of one's attention as they seem in past releases. It's like that monstrosity of blinking lights and sprawling cables is serving as Aaron's frontal lobe by inhibiting his input whereas the computer lets all his impulses fly. That's part of the reason I preferred the Last Step releases I suppose, I like his more reserved side, but this even better than those. It's early, but this is sounding like the new heir to Rossz Csillag Alatt Született's throne in my book.

Listened to main album, is awesome!

Listening to bonus disc, just as good! I feared that it being 'alternate takes' it would mean 'barely noticeable versions' but no, these are different enough to be worth it. Noice.

Yeah just gave the bonus disc a spin, very nice! May even prefer it to the album proper

Maybe the new found sense of humility has dulled dem snares

Snares on Slightly Bent Fork Tong V2 pretty snappy though...like that track.

Well most of this music was recorded way before his bad times last year. If it had any effect, it was probably to release the music at all rather than have a hand in its creation.

Ordered directly from Planet Mu and still waiting. The FLACs are on soulseek so I don't mind pinching them in the meantime as I've paid for the album.

It's a beautiful piece of work, agreed it's up there with his best. Last year I nearly melted my brain listening to nothing but Snares/Soundump/Damogen Furies. It was good.

Much preferring the tracks where I can't tell what is going to happen next....I wonder what he's doing with the set up now if this is two years old.

Just finished watching I Dream of Wires and listening to Devine's latest live modular thing both of which put this in context.

those Richard Devine modular clips are nice. sometimes I feel like that guy as every conceivable piece of gear in his studio/house at any given moment. really wish he'd release something between making presets for synths and stuff :)

I have yet to listen to the main Album, been really busy but I can't wait to put it on the platter and give it a spin :)

great album and i have bought it, waiting for the vinyl... one thing though, i know it's kind of his trademark but does anyone else just want him to make some tracks that are in 4/4? the whole "weird timing" thing has got a bit annoying to me to be honest and i just find myself thinking "great track, wish it was in 4/4" more often than not.

great album and i have bought it, waiting for the vinyl... one thing though, i know it's kind of his trademark but does anyone else just want him to make some tracks that are in 4/4? the whole "weird timing" thing has got a bit annoying to me to be honest and i just find myself thinking "great track, wish it was in 4/4" more often than not.

Maybe he could release an EP were all the tracks are 4/4....wouldn't that be fun?...Mike?

like, i know he has done a few 4/4 tracks and that...i think i just prefer 4/4 to all this needless timing gimmickry which i don't think adds a great deal to electronic music of the type he is want to compose. i just want to trance out to shit and nod my head along sometimes without having to think about it too much. jesus, give me a fucking break.

*last post step*

if all you hear is 7/4....it becomes the new 4/4...and 4/4 becomes 7/4

It's just a different time sig....anything can become the norm

Yeah thats how I feel. Listening to Snares a lot has given me a more intuitive feel for 7/4. Feels normal after a while. Plus its crazy how groovy he can make 7/4 tracks sound, like in Poo Yourself Jason

Listen to Hawerchuk: that's Snares but doing 6/4 (I think). Strange to realise how easy he can slip music by you when it's not in an uneven timing.

Otherwise, after a while the weird timing is totally normal sounding to me now. Rarely notice it.

He covers the time sig thing in that interview few pages back.. just says its normal for him and what comes out when he makes music.

And agree I never really think about it when listening to his music too busy enjoying it!

Anyhow been listening to this constantly this weekend. So fucking good.. is it too early to call this as contender for AOTY?

like, i know he has done a few 4/4 tracks and that...i think i just prefer 4/4 to all this needless timing gimmickry which i don't think adds a great deal to electronic music of the type he is want to compose. i just want to trance out to shit and nod my head along sometimes without having to think about it too much. jesus, give me a fucking break.

*last post step*

lucky for you you've got 99.99999% of the rest of electronic music to scratch your weird 4/4 itch!

Archived