IGNORED

elseq 1-5

auxien

pendulu hv moda

M A S S I V E

supergood.

also this needs to be repeated:

pendula hv moda makes me feel like I am in aruba on the one side of the island that is just cliffs and stuff. great view, scenery etc. I am with some woman who just got me really baked. she is stunning. I am driving an suv . we get out to take it all in. I slam the door and just keep slamming it cuz the seatbelt is in the way. just keep slamming the door.

the build up from latentcall is insane , its like riding a rollercoaster which is getting faster and faster until its reaches warp speed and youre face is melting like ice cream.

Edited by Kavinsky

pendula hv moda makes me feel like I am in aruba on the one side of the island that is just cliffs and stuff. great view, scenery etc. I am with some woman who just got me really baked. she is stunning. I am driving an suv . we get out to take it all in. I slam the door and just keep slamming it cuz the seatbelt is in the way. just keep slamming the door.

most people just listen to the music that keeps them rooted in their happy place and the time where they felt at their peak as a person.

Might be why we're still following these artists 20+ years later, too.

most people just listen to the music that keeps them rooted in their happy place and the time where they felt at their peak as a person.

Except with Autechre that happy place is getting your head exploded and is a total moving target.

Sounds like the beginning of latentcall contains the same warped classical music sample as the ending of one of the tracks from draft.. vl al 5 I think?

edit: not quite, but close

Edited by modey

Except with Autechre that happy place is getting your head exploded and is a total moving target.

Indeed. I don't know about you guys, but I'm always looking for something the likes of which I've never heard before that will blow my mind. I don't want to stagnate musically (or in most aspects of life). You can hold on to your classics AND be open to new things.

elseq excess, so many tracks added to the horde, so grateful. seems like the 2 radio mixes they did earlier this year (solid steel, NTS) foreshadow this release stylistically. can you hear that?

Edited by Polymershapes

Imo, acdwn2 and a bit in latentcall bear some resemblance in terms of rhythmic patterns and texture to syro...

Also I think the spaciality and ambience get to a whole new level with this release. Their experiments with space sort of peaked with Quaristice (e.g. perlence subrange), but to mix them with Oversteps and Exai 'language' is madness

Edited by amad

seems like the 2 radio mixes they did earlier this year (solid steel, NTS) foreshadow this release stylistically. can you hear that?

I was thinking this same thing! Having rinsed both those mixes, I get the same sense of sonic exploration those mixes brought. In a way, this release feels like autechre broadening their horizons both forward and backwards, connecting their new tools to moods from their past releases (I've seen confield and chiastic slide brought up a lot) as well as their influences from other composers and artists.

Plus its just banging set of new material :trashbear:

Edited by Marked x 0ne

This thread is a bit zany in parts. People thinking this will bring Autechre back into the mainstream? That it's accessible and approachable? Lol, what am I reading. I think you (us?) guys have a skewed perception of reality... there's no way this is anything other than the super imposing to anyone other than the fans. Which is fine by me!

Yeah I think once you become really accustomed to Autechre's output it can be easy to hear a track as relatively mainstream when it couldn't be farther from mainstream. I know from time to time I hear an Ae track that sounds really normal and easily digestible to me, and I show it to my friends thinking it might get them interested in Ae but the response is the usual "this is just random noise".

Pretty much the only track on elseq that I think the average person would find at least vaguely interesting is TBM2.

If Ae ever released an album that approached mainstream appeal, I'm not sure if I'd be happy that people are into Ae or worried that they shaved off their edge.

This whole release is probably their most impenetrable/least mainstream, imo. I fkn love it, but in terms of length, musical content etc it's probably one of the most intense things they've ever released.

e.g. part 5 is super super lush, but show it to someone who doesn't know ae and they probably won't think it's lush.

pendulu hv moda

M A S S I V E

supergood.

also this needs to be repeated:

please review the entire release saltykraut.

This thread is a bit zany in parts. People thinking this will bring Autechre back into the mainstream? That it's accessible and approachable? Lol, what am I reading. I think you (us?) guys have a skewed perception of reality... there's no way this is anything other than the super imposing to anyone other than the fans. Which is fine by me!

Yeah I think once you become really accustomed to Autechre's output it can be easy to hear a track as relatively mainstream when it couldn't be farther from mainstream. I know from time to time I hear an Ae track that sounds really normal and easily digestible to me, and I show it to my friends thinking it might get them interested in Ae but the response is the usual "this is just random noise".

Pretty much the only track on elseq that I think the average person would find at least vaguely interesting is TBM2.

If Ae ever released an album that approached mainstream appeal, I'm not sure if I'd be happy that people are into Ae or worried that they shaved off their edge.

Yeah I actually showed my girlfriend TBM2 before I even listened to it (to hear what she thought since I heard teh wattumz talking down on it calling it "lazy" and stuff for some reason so I assumed it was more traditional) and she said it sounded calming and like it didn't fluster her mind and stress her out like other ae/rdj does, which I can see now that I've listened to it. She liked that there was something to latch on to and was repetitive instead of constantly changing. TBM2 is pretty chill.

Edited by Zeffolia

This is actually massive. I took a long walk around the center of kl yesterday, and when I got home I had only finished elseq 1.

If there is such a thing as too much music, this comes pretty fucking close to it.

AE_LIVE doesn't count, as it is not exactly an official release, more of a bonus.

I just can't take all of this in.

I've struggled to take in all of the ae_live stuff too; barely touched the 2nd batch of live mixes to be honest.

Some great music in amongst all of this stuff, as already mentioned a few times some really memorable moments and melodies / beats that almost feel familiar yet are still completely new to me.

They levelled up again.

This release is bringing up aftesh some things on social media / other forums I often hear about the music I like (or am apparently 'pretending' to like!) - that it is 'lazy', 'had no melody', it's just random noise, etc. But what if I don't feel like hearing some main lead line (like most most music has) to enjoy music? I'm apparently a 'hipster' (whatever that means now) for not finding that so interesting any more? And what is inherently 'lazy' about music that doesn't derive its excitement primarily from traditional approaches to melody or harmony? From watching musicians churning out a 'good old choon' on guitar or piano or whatever, that seems it can be even lazier. I don't get it.

This release is bringing up aftesh some things on social media / other forums I often hear about the music I like (or am apparently 'pretending' to like!) - that it is 'lazy', 'had no melody', it's just random noise, etc. But what if I don't feel like hearing some main lead line (like most most music has) to enjoy music? I'm apparently a 'hipster' (whatever that means now) for not finding that so interesting any more? And what is inherently 'lazy' about music that doesn't derive its excitement primarily from traditional approaches to melody or harmony? From watching musicians churning out a 'good old choon' on guitar or piano or whatever, that seems it can be even lazier. I don't get it.

at some point people just close off to the idea of song structure being anything but what they already expect. people want it in a can. it's got to all resolve with some kind of bow tie on it or it's not a "song". i mean.. that's fine.. i like some straight forward grooves as much as anyone but i also want to be divorced from all of that just as often if not more so.

a lot of people are passive listeners though. they don't want to really engage in a thing.

as I mentioned in the thread about krYlon, I hear a direct continuation of ideas first started in Oversteps.

in Oversteps they pioneered a kind of rhythm/melody hybrid technique that they pushed to more percussive extremes in Exai (tuinorizn is a good example). On elseq, "spaces how V" really sounds like it utilizes that technique to new ends.

I think you're doing 'people' short. People want to engage as long as they expect some sort of return which was worth the effort. When 'most people' listen to Autechre they either don't expect a return (as they simply can't imagine there being any), or believe the effort will be too big and the return too small.

In the end, behind all the rationalisations about what people think would be good music, it's mostly about making an emotional connection, imo. And what I often see happening is that these connections add a relational dimension. "If he/she can't connect with a track in the way I do, than there must be a disconnect between us as individuals (on some level)." One being labelled 'hipster' and the other not, for instance.

Which is understandable from an emotional point of view, but a load of rubbish if you think about it. I see it more as some sort of proto-religion really. If other people don't connect to music the way I do, there doesn't need to be any implication on the way I connect with those people, or any implication on the identity-level. But that's very much an 'acquired' mentality, I figure. And in some circumstances not a sociable one either, I'm afraid.

edit: @ignatius/lianne

Edited by goDel

Level of DSP-skills starts to be unobtainium for 5-6 years to me again. I feel there are strange phase modulation + waveguide hybrid synthesis engines (c7b2, acdwn2), huge feedback networks with variable latency from 0 to n, phase vocoding wizardy (7th slip) and so on.