IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

On 7/4/2019 at 7:16 PM, acid1 said:

Filter sounds amazing, however I have a MK1 and was turned off by how stiff and rigid the knobs are. Not sure if it was just my unit or not.

Nah not just you, although you can change the sensitivity. It only seems to be really rigid in the 4 assignable knobs by the screen. I got used to the rest pretty quick.

And the filters are incredible. Some (LP 4-Pole) are aggressive, but its a multi-mode with a lot of options, including several 2-band filters. Pairing with the EQ is great for finding sweet spots.

• Thanks 1

Bought studio furniture which has room for 12 rack units underneath the monitor screen stand, besides some inevitable patch bays, compressors, eq's and multi-fx hardware I want to try some rack synths. Not necessarily to have playing a long as a midi track in an arrangement, but more like a sound source to sample from during play sessions. Any tips for versatile synths? I want to try hardware sampling as well, so might go for an old korg triton rack. What would be the modern day equivalent?   

It'll never happen but what I wouldn't give for a Doepfer MOGLI reissue (or better yet, for them to open-source it so it could get ported to Arduino or something).

Edited by TubularCorporation

On 2/12/2019 at 10:37 AM, Taupe Beats said:

Lots of iOS apps adding MPE support if you want to go that route (Volt Synth, Spacecraft which is a really neat granular app, Animoog, Quanta, etc.)

They just added a VST/AU version of Spacecraft: https://www.tracktion.com/products/spacecraft

GASing for that right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Braintree said:

They just added a VST/AU version of Spacecraft: https://www.tracktion.com/products/spacecraft

GASing for that right now.

I was previously using Spacecraft for sound design, just try to load stuff in and mess with the parameters until I liked it. I've recently found it's quite a good performative app (tweaking stuff in real time and recording an entire passage rather than just one sound/loop). It was really a brilliant choice to add 2 sound sources to that app. 

Ordered a TR-08, as a hella tweakable sound module (via m4l/CCs/TidalCycles) running at 24/96 over a USB cable. Many hidden parameters actually, should be fun.

I spend way too much time being absurdly too anal on drum synthesis, and often end in 808ish territories anyway. I’ve always loved its sheer tone, and it reacts so well to all sorts of processing, such a versatile bit of gear. Will offload CPU quite a bit, which is always a welcome bonus.

And I’ll happily ignore the sequencer.

Thanks Stickfigger, will happily share examples as soon as possible. Actually I grabbed the TR-08 to finish tunes, as some unexpected nice release opportunities are showing up... and not to fuck it up, I have to get shit done (for a change) ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

not sure if i wanna get a Squarp Pyramid, Yamaha RS7000, Elektron Digitakt, or just use my computer (Ableton and/or ORCΛ) for sequencing, but i really need to decide on a path and get at it...been procrastinating with this for too long. wanting to craft some longer and more complex stuff with all my gear and loops are starting to feel really stifling (not always of course)

Digitakt/OT are pretty low on my list tbh. always figured i’d get an OT at some point for the live sound mangling capabilities but definitely leaning more towards something allows me to get away from the loop-based paradigm...still considering all options tho.

yeah really intrigued by the Squarp of course but the RS came up in forum chatter and i have that in mind perhaps too....but probably not. idk. indecisive as fuck because everything has some limitations that irk me. in searching here i noticed a few WATMMers who have the RS. not sure anyone here has a Squarp that i’ve seen, but it seems the best solution for me at the moment? not pulling a trigger yet tho

You could always use the Octatrack as a modular effects box, multichannel arpeggiator, MIDI LFO generator and simple synthesizer (all at the same time) without ever touching the sequencer.

exactly how i've wanted to use an OT, yeah! would still be missing the type of sequencing i'm wanting, unfortunately. or at least would be hobbled trying to do it with an OT. that's one of the reasons i was so intrigued by the RS when i started reading up on it, it's got some pretty powerful sound-mangling capabilities which are (all? mostly?) tied to the very powerful sequencer. fucking thing is just huge and it's of course quite a few years old so there's the reliability concern with it. :/  but otherwise, on paper and from what i've seen it seems nearly perfect for what i want. maybe Yamaha will release a successor to the RS in a few years, it's at the very top of their little https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/ thing

always fantasized on getting a Machinedrum, but they're priced somewhat out of my current range/ability. I've a Digitakt, and it's been sitting, neglected, as I've been learning how to use a 6U / 84 hp eurorack system. I'm thinking that the 'takt has a lot of potential, but I'm still drawn to the sound of the Machinedrum, its potential for making 'weird sounds' (FM synthesis, diff types of 'machines' (?) etc.), hard-hitting beats, weird, generative, asynchronous flurries of finely detailed percussion, et al... I'm sure the MD has been discussed to death, just wondering if anybody would mind sharing their thoughts / opinions, etc..?

My Elektron experience begins and ends with the Octatrack and I've still got plenty of stuff to do with that thing before I'd consider myself any kind of expert.  Hell, I've had it for something like 3 years and I've still never used song mode.

• Like 1

recently discovered Harvestman (Industrial Music Electronics) eurorack modules, and falling in love with the Hertz Donut mkIII ... as if I need to fixate on (or be distracted by) more things. anybody here using Harvestman technology? I listened to some demos of the HD mkIII, it sounds fantastic.

those dry sounds of the first (1/6) example are excellent. just when I started feeling comfortable with my own setup, I became aware of this brand... now i'm cruising the 'net, fantasizing on new synthesizer modules. GAS is a sickness, I need blinders

Edited by spptrl alt del

10 hours ago, spptrl alt del said:

I'm sure the MD has been discussed to death, just wondering if anybody would mind sharing their thoughts / opinions, etc..?

I only had one for a short amount of time before selling it to get an Octatrack, but the sound of it is great. The kicks can get really huge / heavy / deep, but it's also capable of getting pretty lo-fi and dirty if that's your thing. I'd say a downside of it is that the sequencer is pretty basic compared to later Elektron gear, with no microtiming, conditional trigs or individual track lengths. However, since you've got a Eurorack setup, you can actually assign the inputs as trigger inputs for two tracks, which helps get away from the otherwise rigid sequencing. From what I remember, it can trigger pretty quickly as well, so you can get into weird territory easily.

On 8/19/2019 at 9:55 PM, auxien said:

not sure anyone here has a Squarp that i’ve seen, but it seems the best solution for me at the moment? not pulling a trigger yet tho

lol i bought one

Im looking for a stereo reverb pedal.

So far I have found the Digitech Polara (cheaper) and the Keeley Caverns v2 (not so cheap but dual reverb and delay), both looking hot.

Anyone got the Earthquaker Afterneath? Looks a bit different in terms of the sounds it can offer. Not stereo but not the end of the world.  I have a stereo flanger pedal that I can set to being very subtle that gives nice stereo room effects.

Edited by Soloman Tump

11 hours ago, spptrl alt del said:

recently discovered Harvestman (Industrial Music Electronics) eurorack modules, and falling in love with the Hertz Donut mkIII ... as if I need to fixate on (or be distracted by) more things. anybody here using Harvestman technology? I listened to some demos of the HD mkIII, it sounds fantastic.

those dry sounds of the first (1/6) example are excellent. just when I started feeling comfortable with my own setup, I became aware of this brand... now i'm cruising the 'net, fantasizing on new synthesizer modules. GAS is a sickness, I need blinders

Yes, I have a Piston Honda mk3.  I like it because tonally it is completely different from the rest of my setup, its rich/harsh sound still pairs well with my outboard effects., but the balance between intention and usable results is sometimes a bit too much.  I've considered swapping it out for the Hertz Donut, but I'm going to try with different custom wavetables before seriously considering that.  I do have space in my overflow case for another complex osc. but I'm going to wait for the Xaoc Odessa first.