IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

On 6/5/2019 at 7:03 PM, flacid said:

What are your favourite/best sounding modular oscillators 

I can't think of any oscillators I've had that sound bad, it comes down more to the features.  Having said that the Serge NTO (and DUSG) sound great.  The STO was obviously inspired by it.  Expensive even as diy, but worth it. 

On 6/11/2019 at 2:19 PM, kakapo said:

I can't think of any oscillators I've had that sound bad, it comes down more to the features.  Having said that the Serge NTO (and DUSG) sound great.  The STO was obviously inspired by it.  Expensive even as diy, but worth it. 

On 6/6/2019 at 4:10 AM, modey said:

I like STO. Pretty basic but it sounds nice. I'm also considering swapping my Elements for a Plaits or Braids (or maybe just Rings for the pseudo-polyphony).

Oh nice! I'm always tempted by O_C when it comes up in sale groups, but I think two menu-divey modules are enough for my small setup.

Sounds like the STO is where it's at. Some nice FM sounds on Youtube. Presume the DPO is STO x2? 

10 hours ago, flacid said:

Sounds like the STO is where it's at. Some nice FM sounds on Youtube. Presume the DPO is STO x2? 

To clarify, I like the STO, but I'm referring to Euro Serge NTO as expensive but worth it(Random*Source in particular).  The DPO isn't a double STO.  DPO takes inspiration from Buchla, the STO Serge, but they will pair together well.

I’m in San Francisco and went into Robotspeak yesterday. Very nice guy, let me use the bathroom after looking at me and saying “yeah, you look ok” 

when I was in there, I heard him setting up some random synth arp. Come out and he is messing with a brand new dreadbox nyx v2. I started messing with it, and after about 20 minutes got some of the best synth sounds I’ve ever gotten out of anything. The onboard reverb is incredible if you know how to dial it in. He was book keeping but stopped and looked up and said, “dude, this is sounding awesome.”

So now I’m the proud owner of a nyx v2. A robocall cut off my phone recording before I really had it dialed in, but I can’t wait to get home and dive in.

11 hours ago, sheatheman said:

I’m in San Francisco and went into Robotspeak yesterday. Very nice guy, let me use the bathroom after looking at me and saying “yeah, you look ok” 

when I was in there, I heard him setting up some random synth arp. Come out and he is messing with a brand new dreadbox nyx v2. I started messing with it, and after about 20 minutes got some of the best synth sounds I’ve ever gotten out of anything. The onboard reverb is incredible if you know how to dial it in. He was book keeping but stopped and looked up and said, “dude, this is sounding awesome.”

So now I’m the proud owner of a nyx v2. A robocall cut off my phone recording before I really had it dialed in, but I can’t wait to get home and dive in.

Yeah, let's hear this!

Robotspeak is awesome. The guy can be kind of a space cadet but he's generally cool.

They usually have events on the weekends, but it looks like they haven't had anything going on for like a month. There are some good modular performances and it's BYOB.

i'm realizing that, besides the volca keys (?), the nyx is the first synth i've ever owned that has real VCOs (tempest has DCO), and i can, for sure, tell a huge difference. the thing about a vco is you are literally listening to the power grid. it's never static. i'm used to programming all of that subtle shifting into my patches, but i don't have to do as much with this thing.

• 2 weeks later...

More of a tip than a GAS confession : I've just switched from Mogami XLR cables to Grimm TPR ones, to connect my sound-card to monitoring system, and the difference in details / clarity is positively puzzling. Transients are faster, I've never heard textures that precisely and vivdly. Separation is improved. Any sort of saturation / distortion jumps right at your face, even in the lows. Feels like patching synth and mixing has never been that easy.

I would have never, never, never have thought it'd make a difference (I simply needed longer cables) but damn, I'm even discovering new things in my own tracks (and of course the records I've listened to countless times). It's challenging my rational brain (I'm well aware of confirmation bias etc...) TBH.

My monitoring chain / environnement was already excellent (Amphion One15 + Amp + cables, SPL Crimson, acoustic treatment) but it feels like the last few percents to make it perfect.

So, if you need more / new cables, keep that option in mind. That cable is inexpensive (especially if you solder them yourself, just add some Neutrik connectors and you're good to go), not batshit insane audiophile snake-oil.

Never thought I'd be raving over cables ?

neutron.jpg.5157fbd84d69bc0bff9dfb28f688a5fd.jpg

So I shelled out for a Neutron, I love the sound it makes. 

I however do not like the colour scheme... so I found a .dxf file online for the cover plate, cleaned it up a bit, and plasma cut my own from sheet steel.

Noticed I missed off the rectangular push button cut-outs so I need to sort those out.  Also, second up far left patch point looks out of place.  Will go for version 2 I think.  Not bad for a first try.  Some of the small holes need filing out.

Can't decide whether to go rusty or leave it shiny and "burnt" looking.  Will hand paint on the labels before spraying with a clear matt lacquer.

Hopefully will look sweet / rustic

Edited by Soloman Tump

On 6/23/2019 at 12:31 AM, sheatheman said:

aroit, here is a little bit of a patch. 100% nyx v2 and no post processing at all besides a limiter.

https://picosong.com/wNqbC/

it has been giving me gas since i first saw it but ffs i need to sell some of the stuff i never use before buying new stuff that i will not have time to use either...

5 hours ago, Enthusiast said:

Kind of want an Analog Heat now. How are the filters, I've heard they are a bit aggressive?

Filter sounds amazing, however I have a MK1 and was turned off by how stiff and rigid the knobs are. Not sure if it was just my unit or not.

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2019 at 5:57 AM, MIXL2 said:

it has been giving me gas since i first saw it but ffs i need to sell some of the stuff i never use before buying new stuff that i will not have time to use either...

getting tons of great stuff out of this thing. reverb is almost always heavily employed. i widened this and compressed, nothing else.

https://picosong.com/wK3zW/