IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

1 hour ago, thawkins said:

Isn't this too fancy for a laptop stand? Doesn't even look like you can adjust the height and no cooling fans either...

I'm pretty sure one of the buttons turn on the tabletop stove function... 

2 minutes ago, yekker said:

Is it tricky to program?

I didn't have time to try any editing today, just hooked it up and went through the cheesetastic presets to make sure it survived shipping. The Patch Base editor looks pretty straightforward, I might be in for an adventure but I've got enough FM mileage so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. I think FM is better suited for external editing since there's not as much demand for live twiddling stuff like filter knobs once you've made a patch. 

lol I sold off all my eurorack and dropped $1100 on a top of the line electric adjustable desk

and am thinking of getting a new chair and vocaloid with the remaining money

• Like 2
  • Farnsworth 2

Totally missed the analog four / rytm / ob update that elektron released last week. Reignited my gas for a mk1 A4. In a rare case of foresight I’d already bought a 2nd hand A4 a few years ago so the gas quickly passed :cisfor:

In case anyone else missed it;

Most of the update works for mk1 and 2 a4’s and some of the highlights are:

Step recording mode

trig probability 

trig preview (inc plocks)

Improved preset management 

Bunch of other stuff in the release notes. 

First time ever updating ob went without a hitch. Even though I seemed to be one of few people being lucky enough to actually have a working ob setup it took me at least an hour to get things back to working with past updates. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I'm honestly surprised Elektron haven't made a polyphonic sample playback machine. It seems to be a bit of a gap in the market, with only the OP-1 / OP-Z* and maybe the MPCs supporting it? Maybe the MC-707 as well..

Really it could be a Digitakt firmware update to make it more like the Digitone in terms of voice allocation..

* - OP-Z's utterly abysmal sample storage space makes it almost not count.

In other news, I'm seriously considering getting that TR06.. I have a real 606 on permanent loan from a friend but the TR06 looks perfect for my little ambient techno setup I've been enjoying lately.

Edited by modey

Sold it (as well as the SH-01A and SE-02) to pay my taxes (you know, 2020...). I’ve patched amazing drums with Hive 2 though, they’re all over my upcoming EP, so I don’t miss the Boutiques that much.
I f’ing love the 808, but it gave a slightly nostalgic je ne sais quoi to my tunes that didn’t fit.

Anyway, from the x0x (or should I say « Mid 0 ») series godfathers https://rc-808.com/

Seriously deep and capable drum synth plugin... and free. Some amazing reading on their website too.

Edited by Nil
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nil said:

Sold it (as well as the SH-01A and SE-02) to pay my taxes (you know, 2020...). I’ve patched amazing drums with Hive 2 though, they’re all over my upcoming EP, so I don’t miss the Boutiques that much.
I f’ing love the 808, but it gave a slightly nostalgic je ne sais quoi to my tunes that didn’t fit.

Anyway, from the x0x (or should I say « Mid 0 ») series godfathers https://rc-808.com/

Seriously deep and capable drum synth plugin... and free. Some amazing reading on their website too.

Hot diggety! Heard about this on sonic state but no Mac version at that time. See the OS X version got released on the first of this month. I’m continuously amazed by generosity of engineers and general smarty pants around the world, it’s humbling to think about the amount of time and dedication that goes into things people create and discover and then they decide others should be able to benefit from their labour while I bumble my way through life and struggle to grasp basic concepts. 

Edited by user
  • Like 2

I built a new desktop this time last October and have enjoyed a year of extremely powerful computing.  

I have never had a rig this fast before, and nothing I can throw at it can slow it down.  I am working on a track at the moment with 20 Serums with a fuck load of processing plugs on each track, several Kontakts with giant orchestral packs loaded, etc., and am still able to have chrome open on another monitor with a hilarious amount of tabs, Excel, Outlook, Premiere Pro, Photoshop etc., all running and honestly it doesn't even raise an eyebrow.  Incredible.

Since building this, I have spend a fair amount on software as I am just so fucking productive on this new beast.  Bought Ableton, FabFilter bundle, Serum, Reaper, etc.

Currently I am not really lusting over any gear as I bought it all, but wanted to show and tell. 

So there you go. 

Edited by LemanRuss

On 10/2/2020 at 4:08 AM, modey said:

Yeah I'm honestly surprised Elektron haven't made a polyphonic sample playback machine. It seems to be a bit of a gap in the market, with only the OP-1 / OP-Z* and maybe the MPCs supporting it? Maybe the MC-707 as well..

Really it could be a Digitakt firmware update to make it more like the Digitone in terms of voice allocation..

* - OP-Z's utterly abysmal sample storage space makes it almost not count.

Doesn't the 1010 Blackbox allow Polyphony of 3 notes? 

The new unofficial firmware of the dirt cheap Volca Sample can, albeit it looks like you have to adjust some settings.

And the Maschine does that, but I guess that doesn't count ?

• Like 2

Messed around with a Subharmonicon last night. It was a lot of fun but it's also a mess of a synthesizer which I can't see myself ever using to make a track. I would record noises with it, and that's it. I did manage to make a classic techno bass pattern by plugging a patch cable into the VCO1 and then touch the other end with my thumb.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Squee said:

Messed around with a Subharmonicon last night. It was a lot of fun but it's also a mess of a synthesizer which I can't see myself ever using to make a track. I would record noises with it, and that's it. I did manage to make a classic techno bass pattern by plugging a patch cable into the VCO1 and then touch the other end with my thumb.

sell it to me for cheap then. ?

On 9/24/2020 at 10:45 PM, yekker said:

Is it tricky to program?

I've been spending some time with the TX7 now and the architecture is pretty simple. There's no mod matrix, cross-modulation or other wacky shit like that, just one global LFO for pitch or volume and the operator settings. It gets messy with all 6 operators active because each one has a complex ADSR to pilot. It's got one control for the volume of each envelope step and one for the rate at which they get there, so bog-standard subtractive sounding stuff is kinda awkward to pull off. Luckily you can copy-paste envelopes in the software editor, must be lightspeed compared to a DX7 interface. The synthesis capabilities are pretty wild and it's a great sounding kit, lots of woolly low end.

I like trackers a lot but using a tracker without a QWERTY keyboard seems weird to me.  I never even really got that in to LSDJ and pretty much lost track of it after about a year of using it pretty regularly.