IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of

someguy

I bet Musk heard that podcast where she was breaking down the recording process to one of her songs and got smitten.  Specifically that part where she noticed the backing vocals sounded a bit wonky, so she had solo out each of the 50 voices to isolate which one(s) was pitchy.

This thread has taken some unexpected turns.  I'm pretty stoked to see where it goes next.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

What exactly is pretentious about it?

the breathing, the snapping, the auto-tuning on the vocals, the lyrics, the way the guy says "yeh", the flute, the lyrics again, the way he says "black snow", the way he says everything as if it has some incredibly powerful profound meaning - all that stuff

What exactly is pretentious about it?

the lack of soul

I have a trigger for the misuse of the word 'pretentious'. The modern usage which usually just means "thing I don't like" (usually of an experimental or modern/postmodern bent)

You didn't really answer my question lopez except for your very last point, which is obviously purely subjective. As is MIXL2's.

What makes is come across as intended to be profound to you?

so lopez's application of the word is itself pretentious?

isn't pretending to understand what the lyrics mean to the singer being pretentious

so lopez's application of the word is itself pretentious?

isn't pretending to understand what the lyrics mean to the singer being pretentious

boom!

i use it now exclusively to refer to something that has a pretense for existing in such a way that the actualy content is secondary to the concept. in this respect I don’t find most OPN particularly pretentious because most of the time the concept and the execution are harmonious.

350 posts into a thread about an opn album arguing about what “pretentious” means is pretty fucking perfect.

I thought the Musk/Grimes diversion donervan started was pretty fitting too, somehow.

Album length of the JP version is 46:25.. so duck a couple of minutes off that for the bonus track Trance 1 and you're looking at sub-45mins.

If such minutiae is of interest.

:fear:

You can hear 'Trance I' here: 

15 pages and only one track been released, I'd say that's a very successful start to a new album. Dan-Lo must be grinning ear to ear like a happy Cheshire cat.

I haven't followed this thread at all because I realise a huge potential buzz kill looming large on the horizon when I see one. I also want to be a grinning Cheshire cat when I hear it, and make up my own mind. 

Embrace And Be One With The Inner Grinning Cat. You can do it.

Edited by beerwolf

If I reached OPN's level of success with my music, I'd still visit watmm and get sad whenever someone said my music was derivative or whatever.  I apologize for my Bon Iver comparison, Dan Lopatin.