woo collapse day

finally gave this a full listen after only giving the vinyl rips a little peep, it's lush as fuck. Better first impression than Syro tbh, almost feels like Drukqs level compositions

I've not been paying close attention, but definitely sounds a good bit better than the leak in parts (abundance an pthex in particular), 1st 44 didn't sound all that different. need to listen on headphones though.

great tunes. that newer aphex sound that is like sailing on the ocean in the future on lsd, this is post-that. kind of martian, and casually wielding masterful confluences of techniques to produce really well-crafted sound sculptures. goes well with beautiful japanese people, xmas_evet1 n, and midi pipe2c edit, +3.

mt1 t29r2 always stands out, but they're all great

Edited by very honest

Getting some Jlin vibes from 1st44 and abundance.

you're the first person to say this. i don't it hear personally. also, u didn't answer my question about the tempo change in pthex... :dry:

Edited by impotentwhitecapitalist

Bought and downloaded the wavs, listened twice now... um... Abundance is okay, it has some through line, some center, some narrative. T69 Collapse is decent, the central third is still out of place to my ears.

I swear I'm not being contrarian, but I'm not much feeling this. Maybe just needs time to sink in, I dunno. Much of it sounds like he's just throwing shit at the wall and seeing if anything sticks. Okay for dance tunes or whatever maybe? Some grooves at times but ... I feel like it's missing that Aphex magic. Or I'm just missing it perhaps. Not even digging pthex. All very disjointed and so much of the sounds he's using, it's like a 15 year old just got a new sample pack or something. Just fucking dozens upon dozens of OH KEWL SOUND moments at my ears with no rhyme or reason. Maybe that's the point? If so cool but not my thing I guess.

JUST FIRST IMPRESSIONS DONT LYNCH ME PLEASE I love (some) Aphex I swear.

First listen tonight (I held off on the rips!).  This is some next level shit.  I came away thinking this is his take on Hvad; his approach to percussion and a few other bits can be heard throughout.  I really look forward to hearing it again and again and again.

Bought and downloaded the wavs, listened twice now... um... Abundance is okay, it has some through line, some center, some narrative. T69 Collapse is decent, the central third is still out of place to my ears.

I swear I'm not being contrarian, but I'm not much feeling this. Maybe just needs time to sink in, I dunno. Much of it sounds like he's just throwing shit at the wall and seeing if anything sticks. Okay for dance tunes or whatever maybe? Some grooves at times but ... I feel like it's missing that Aphex magic. Or I'm just missing it perhaps. Not even digging pthex. All very disjointed and so much of the sounds he's using, it's like a 15 year old just got a new sample pack or something. Just fucking dozens upon dozens of OH KEWL SOUND moments at my ears with no rhyme or reason. Maybe that's the point? If so cool but not my thing I guess.

JUST FIRST IMPRESSIONS DONT LYNCH ME PLEASE I love (some) Aphex I swear.

That was my exact reaction when I first heard CIRCLONT6A, now its one of my favourite tunes. Just give it time man, the tunes will get heaps better, there is rhyme and there is reason. 

My fav parts so far:

The 2 bars of pads at 3:46 of 1st 44, how it goes into them is massive and the melody on the 2nd bar is so quintessentially Aphex it's a shock this is the first time he has done it. 

The segment starting 2:35 on MT1, it's so dark and smooth and sad, darkest thing since Drukqs. He has a knack for making sounds that shouldn't appear dark and spooky appear dark and spooky, like the bitcrushed voice in Taking Control, this takes it a step further and makes that pulsating high frequency sound over every bar just seem ominous, crazy good stuff. 

Ending of Abundance, perfect mix of a killer melody, this new percussion style he has got and pads straight out of SAW 1 era.

2nd half of Pthex, microtonal pads and mind-melting acid.

Such strong tracks this EP, a bunch of masterpieces, love how extensive and complex they are.

Edited by slate

Getting some Jlin vibes from 1st44 and abundance.

you're the first person to say this. i don't it hear personally. also, u didn't answer my question about the tempo change in pthex... :dry:

It's about dead middle, might actually be a polyrhythmic thing rather than tempo mod.

edit:

pthex: 2:07-2:08. kind of feels like a 3/4 polyrythym comes in where i want to start counting on the 3/ longer interval.

re: Jlin: listened to them both again and, percussively, it does sound like the closest he's come to that footwork style sound, only with classic aphex melodic elements and flair. I  don't listen to a lot of footwork, mostly just Jlin, just going off my first and second listens here.

Mental. I can hear Jlin / footwork influence. Rapid-fire percussion all over. The pitched sample tweaking is next level shit. Wde variety of delays and reverbs getting dropped on particular sounds in the mix while others are left clean. Pthex brought the acid, yay.

Is the shouting dude at 00:50 in 1st 44 from the same source as Mangle 11?

First listen had to be a quiet one since my wife is sleeping and I'm wearing open-backed headphones. Gonna blast it tomorrow.

My fav parts so far:

The 2 bars of pads at 3:46 of 1st 44, how it goes into them is massive and the melody on the 2nd bar is so quintessentially Aphex it's a shock this is the first time he has done it. 

The segment starting 2:35 on MT1, it's so dark and smooth and sad, darkest thing since Drukqs. He has a knack for making sounds that shouldn't appear dark and spooky appear dark and spooky, like the bitcrushed voice in Taking Control, this takes it a step further and makes that pulsating high frequency sound over every bar just seem ominous, crazy good stuff. 

Ending of Abundance, perfect mix of a killer melody, this new percussion style he has got and pads straight out of SAW 1 era.

2nd half of Pthex, microtonal pads and mind-melting acid.

Such strong tracks this EP, a bunch of masterpieces, love how extensive and complex they are.

Edited by eczem

Wow. That did the trick!

How fucking exceedingly amazing was that!

Aphex still got the magic bag of tricks because since Syro I’ve been sitting on the fence tbh. Plenty of magic rabbits still there and hopping about like mad. Loved it and I guess will only get better with more plays. Happy, happy days.

Edited by beerwolf

I work in a hospital and I woke up yesterday and my right ear was completely blocked with hearing down to about 5%. So I went to the ENT department and they used a giant microsuction machine and now my hearing is the best it's been in about 10 years and my tinnitus is reduced. Thank you IDM Lords. Also, I've an ingrown hair growing out of my ear drum lol.

What timing for new APHEX.

Edited by Richie Sombrero

I'm listening properly on headphones now, the difference to the leak is pretty obvious now. Loads of extra detail being revealed, has taken on a more acoustic vibe with lots of clear sounding sampled percussion, which before sounded way less natural.

I work in a hospital and I woke up yesterday and my right ear was completely blocked with hearing down to about 5%. So I went to the ENT department and they used a giant microsuction machine and now my hearing is the best it's been in about 10 years and my tinnitus is reduced. Thank you IDM Lords. Also, I've an ingrown hair growing out of my ear drum lol.

What timing for new APHEX.

I hear you man, having issues with my right ear as well. Horrible timing indeed.