I think this will be one of the most expensive mistakes in movie history. The trailer looked good but this is one movie that will not connect with an audience.

I was amazed when Blade Runner 2049 came out and totally enjoyed it but audiences didn't care.

Dune is even more of a niche SF market.

If you've ever read the book, you'll know that this will movie will not appeal to the mainstream audiences. The trailer was made for people who love Dune, it will not resonate with anyone else.

• Like 2

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to read Dune a couple of times but kept losing interest. Finally got an unabridged audio book and knocked it out in a couple of weeks during my commutes to and from work. Pretty cool story. For me it'll be Lynch Dune -> Audiobook -> Villeneuve Dune. I heard the Sci Fi Channel series version is really good for the budget they had to work with but haven't seen it.

3 hours ago, fumi said:

I was amazed when Blade Runner 2049 came out and totally enjoyed it but audiences didn't care.

Yeah it's a shame, BR2049 is so well done but the masses basically want super hero movie sequels from here to eternity now.

11 hours ago, Tim_J said:

Edit: not gonna name names (@kieselguhr kid) but I'm also quite amused by people who post in threads without reading previous posts...  

read 'em all, had nothing to add to the general consensus of underwhelmedment, quoted the post most poignantly expressing these feelings. nice to see you so easily amused though

13 hours ago, Adamovich said:

JH_Taylor_1908-08-01cr.jpg

I don't know what's the reason behind it, the Earth was a healthier, cleaner planet 100 years ago, that's for sure...

There's so much preservatives in our food we're basically mummified alive lol

As for Dune... the problem I see is this weird undertone that is imagining what "epic" is like. The actors themselves are pushed by directors to be aware that they are some prophecy demigods. They have to be perfect human beings in every aspect. How do you play a perfect human being? Well, ironically, you have to water down all aspects of personality to appear collected, well-bred, sophisticated, dont-give-the-impression-you-know-you-are-a-demi-god aka false modesty. After all this all the actor can do is mumble-speak and frown at the camera.

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

The worst thing that could happen is that this film isn't terrible. I'll be ingesting cinnamon buns untill it leaks in 4K.

Edited by Gocab
  • Like 3

I love the books and, no matter what, a movie can't rival with my imagination. I'm genuinely super curious to see how it'll eventually be though, how someone else pictures it all.

Now, if only Jodorowski could have complete his version... and if Lynch could have directed and edited his Dune the way he wanted to.

I believe there's a TV series about the Bene Gesserit to be aired soonish too ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, fumi said:

I think this will be one of the most expensive mistakes in movie history. The trailer looked good but this is one movie that will not connect with an audience.

If you've ever read the book, you'll know that this will movie will not appeal to the mainstream audiences. The trailer was made for people who love Dune, it will not resonate with anyone else.

Villeneuve doesn't care though. He's been wanting to make Dune forever, and he's getting his shot. I expect it to be as enjoyable and wonderful as BR2049.

13 hours ago, hijexx said:

For me it'll be Lynch Dune -> Audiobook -> Villeneuve Dune.

Man how are you judging something before you've even seen it? You don't think that expectation is going to colour your perception of how you view it? That's just a wild perspective to me.

8 hours ago, kieselguhr kid said:

read 'em all, had nothing to add to the general consensus of underwhelmedment, quoted the post most poignantly expressing these feelings. nice to see you so easily amused though

next time use the quote function you dummy...

Spoiler

just kidding...:)

The trailer is extremely uninteresting, but it's possible that it's just a bad trailer for a good movie.  American cinema has been on a really miserable streak for the past 20 years and that's been getting worse and worse, so I'll wait and see if it's still remembered in 5 or 10 years and might watch it then.  I can't see Hollywood taking any risks these days, though.  Kubrick's 2001 wouldn't have seen the light of day in the current climate.

Edited by drillkicker
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 7:06 AM, Nil said:

I believe there's a TV series about the Bene Gesserit to be aired soonish too ?

This has staggering potential for greatness. 

On 9/11/2020 at 11:04 AM, chenGOD said:

Man how are you judging something before you've even seen it? You don't think that expectation is going to colour your perception of how you view it? That's just a wild perspective to me.

I think they were describing their "Dune journey" and not passing judgement. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Farnsworth 1

On 9/11/2020 at 10:04 AM, chenGOD said:

Nah I'm just saying I first saw the Lynch version then read the book and my third experience will be the Villeneuve version

• Thanks 1

You still have time to squeeze in the syfy version and it's sequel. They're ok for what they are, I think. Haven't watched in ages.

1 hour ago, hijexx said:

Nah I'm just saying I first saw the Lynch version then read the book and my third experience will be the Villeneuve version

Ahhh ok sorry for misinterpreting!

5 hours ago, drillkicker said:

You can call it edgy all you want, but that won't make it untrue.

From the year 2000:

Spoiler

Almost Famous

American Psycho

Before Night Falls

Cast Away

Chocolat

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

High Fidelity

Memento

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Pitch Black

Remember the Titans

Requiem for a Dream

Snatch

Titan A.E.

Traffic

The Way of the Gun

From 2001:

Spoiler

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Ali

A Beautiful Mind

Blow

Buffalo Soldiers

Bully

The Curse of the Jade Scorpion

Dogtown and Z-Boys

Donnie Darko

Enemy at the Gates

From Hell

Ghost World

Gosford Park

Human Nature

The Man Who Wasn't There

The Mexican

Mulholland Drive

The Royal Tenenbaums

Scratch

Serendipity

Training Day

Waking Life

From 2002:

Spoiler

Adaptation

Bubba Ho-Tep

Catch Me if You Can

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

Equilibrium

Gangs of New York

Minority Report

Narc

Punch-Drunk Love

The Quiet American

Secretary

From 2003:

Spoiler

21 Grams

Bad Santa

The Brown Bunny

Bruce Almighty

Coffee and Cigarettes

Elephant

Elf

The Fog of War

Intolerable Cruelty

The Italian Job

Kill Bill: Volume 1

Lost in Translation

Monster

Mystic River

Old School

Once Upon a Time in Mexico

The Yes Men

So that's just 4 years, then I got bored. I haven't included any franchise movies, no mega series (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings), very few comedies, one war movie (more a black comedy than a war movie), almost no action movies, and very few independent movies. They are all however, produced in America. There is a lot of good cinema in there.

So yeah - edgy and untrue.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 1:12 PM, auxien said:

go away do not want GIF

c'mon man you must know he's dead fucking right.

The story is good. The prose....not so much.

On 9/10/2020 at 11:11 PM, fumi said:

OK BOOMER