43 minutes ago, zero said:

this line reminded me of the infamous Stanford prison experiment. and not trying to make light of the pandemic at all, but looking at what's gone on in the world in the past 6-7 years from a psychological/sociological perspective is fascinating, but also depressing. as we know, a lot of folks in western world countries seem to be exhibiting much higher levels of narcissism, aggression, and pro-authoritarian traits than what was status quo in the past. and then loop in a global pandemic with these changing attitudes, and yeah, here we are. really makes me wonder if trump and the whole changing of things politically hadn't of happened 7 years ago, would we be as bad off as we are today in regards to vaccination rates, and bringing this thing under control. I'm sure there would still be anti-vaxxers, as those have existed since the dawn of modern medicine, but possibly at lower numbers than what we see today. equating masks/vaccines with your political stance really got a boost in the negative direction from orange guy and all the maga talking heads in this country. and of course, social media sucks.

And on top of that now, i think stress and the crisis just exacerbate everything tenfold.

Everyone becomes on the edge in some way or another. 

Edited by thefxbip

26 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

And on top of that now, i think stress and the crisis just exacerbate everything tenfold.

and what is the usual emotional precursor to stress levels being amplified or being on edge? fear. fear of the unknown. that's something humans have traditionally not handled well. it leads to fantastical ideas trying to understand some unknown thing, e.g. conspiracy theories. how did covid happen? not entirely clear, so let's come up with something that fits our narrative in order to make sense of it. again, nothing new here. but this time around it seems much different because of internet being everywhere, as opposed to back in the day when this stuff couldn't spread as widely and fast as it does now. social media gives anyone with a device a voice to spew out who-knows-what information, which others of the same social demographics see, and therefore are sadly more inclined to believe it is the truth.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, zero said:

and what is the usual emotional precursor to stress levels being amplified or being on edge? fear. fear of the unknown. that's something humans have traditionally not handled well. it leads to fantastical ideas trying to understand some unknown thing, e.g. conspiracy theories. how did covid happen? not entirely clear, so let's come up with something that fits our narrative in order to make sense of it. again, nothing new here. but this time around it seems much different because of internet being everywhere, as opposed to back in the day when this stuff couldn't spread as widely and fast as it does now. social media gives anyone with a device a voice to spew out who-knows-what information, which others of the same social demographics see, and therefore are sadly more inclined to believe it is the truth.

spot on

Its been both interesting (and scary lol) to witness the various way fear and fear of the unknown comes forward through different people and different societies.

Im gonna be optimistic for once and say even if it could have been better, it could have been worse. The scientific community managed to be super motivated and focused under pressure and created quite the powerful vaccine and we have quite good vaccinations rates in a lot of countries. Imagine Omicron raging everywhere WITHOUT vaccines. Oh boy. Lots of people showed up and did the work and their duty.

I also rarely meet anyone 100% batshit crazy conspiracy fueled personalities. Even reticent ones are not often that radical. There is a few but ive  personally not met that many.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

I also rarely meet anyone 100% batshit crazy conspiracy fueled personalities. Even reticent ones are not often that radical. There is a few but ive  personally not met that many.

lol come to Texas bruv. we got them hanging out all day long 'round here. waiting for a JFK / Elvis concert to happen, I think

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, zero said:

and what is the usual emotional precursor to stress levels being amplified or being on edge? fear. fear of the unknown.

i suspect fear is caused by many or most aspects of this pandemic’s initial and ongoing management and disjointed responses between countries.

the biggest cause of fear might be that the central mistake that’s made to result in infection, and by implication and connection, death, is actually a very easy one to make.

most subsequent decisions, following hearing this and responding dramatic unfamiliar political intervention to instruct how to avoid this mistake and it’s consequences, derived from medical guidance, are taken to avoid the risk of looking to have failed in such a basic way. “they’ve made it illegal to breathe!” for example.

the anti-vax nonsense isn’t connecting to, but rather ignoring, collective concerns and collaboration … it’s turned the failure to take personal responsibility for your part in a bigger pictures into an attempted display of wishing to appear to be doing something positive for likeminded individuals - rather than looking selfish, or hoping to hide selfishness and failure to see a biggest picture as seeing a different one.

so, lots of avoidance of risking doing something that will make people look daft pushes back so hard it simply achieves making them look stupid anyway. lots of these collectives end up acting in the same or similar ways, like the wider society they’re resisting being part of. they’re an isolating subset that’s built into hardening resistance and determined to make themselves a minority being punished rather than getting it wrong or being in fear of what it should have been quick to understand was easier to adjust to in order to prevent than fight back against.

as so much has evolved via online communication, and as so many people have rudimentary usage of websites, the conspiracies have the same appearance and outlet as the tried and tested science. that’s hurt us a lot.

i still think, as covid 19 was identified late ‘19 and vaccination designs began in earnest months before lockdowns in major countries, a matter-of-fact approach to it coming soon and it being the quickest and cleanest way to improve life would have helped enormously. vaccinations have been done on large scales, and we could have not panicked then gained so much or lost a lot less. quick and complete lockdowns were long known to work, but lack of preparation meant not applying wisdom and experience without panic, and the lies went around the world before the truth got it’s boots on.

Edited by logboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, logboy said:

as so much has evolved via online communication, and as so many people have rudimentary usage of websites, the conspiracies have the same appearance and outlet as the tried and tested science. that’s hurt us a lot.

Omg this.

If im being honest, if this pandemic situation would have happened ten years earlier i may have fall in the conspiracy squad. I can totally see it happen with the 10 years ago me.

But 10 years forward, in the mean time i forgot my hatred for science i picked up in high school and slowly started being interested in basic science vulgarization about physics and astrophysics and other things, watched a lot of videos and podcasts from World Science Festival, Brian Greene and Sean Carroll, youtube programs on science, read a few books about it and it kinda inoculated me against some of the more insane BS theory.

It made me think about how important to get kids and also the general population interested in science even if only on a basic level. Even if you don't understand anything in detail and can't read the deep maths, it WILL still be useful and protect you in some ways if you were exposed to legit material and had interaction with it.

When you see total crackpots disinformation you know something feels off.

And if there was something the government could do more it would be this, more direct contact between scientists, the science and the rest of the population so they dont feel remote or in an ivory tower. More communication and quality science programming and education all across the board to reach people and to make basic trust in science and scientists a natural thing.

Send a damn science magazine subscription to every house or something haha

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

Omg this.

i was bad at science at school. i’ve been online since the early 90s. i was designing websites for a living at 21, and am now almost 50. i’ve also seen firsthand, mediocre websites taken seriously, because they look a cut above … almost 20 years ago. it’s didn’t surprise me, but the level it’s affected us to is beyond imagination and still quite subtle in its characteristics that it will be studied for an age.

there’s a huge element of poorly-educated people airing their baffling opinion that formal education is actually a negative process of removing common sense. they then gradually head towards pursuing their *own research* which pushes towards highlighting what was so flawed about their initial assertion, and indicates how challenging and nuanced education is - that it involves the evolution of ideas by seeking, checking and connecting them. not simply picking one out and trying to push it towards being true by repeating it often and loudly.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

respect my decision to further contribute to the global health crisis and consequent government restrictions. totally.

that's it, you only have to obey.

And Im sorry but I don't think I can debate here, it's simply different points of view. I don't understand this fear to talk about some topics respectfully, someone will raise the finger and voilà you're now a lunatic and obviously disqualified or cancelled. last post here.

PD: to @alcofribas I don't need to call dumb to anyone to feel confortable with myself, it was just a polite way to decline a conversation with all of you, can you understand this or not?

Edited by Diurn
  • Facepalm 4

it will never not be funny to me how people online will post nonsense and then cry about how they are being cancelled and censored and stuff when people point out how dumb they are. 

I posted online how pee is stored in the balls but I guess my free speech wasn’t welcome in a logic and reason discussion so everyone simply posted “lmao” which, to me, is a form of incarceration of myself. 

• Haha 6
  • Facepalm 1
  • Burger 1
  • Big Brain 1

8 hours ago, logboy said:

there’s a huge element of poorly-educated people airing their baffling opinion that formal education is actually a negative process of removing common sense. they then gradually head towards pursuing their *own research* which pushes towards highlighting what was so flawed about their initial assertion, and indicates how challenging and nuanced education is - that it involves the evolution of ideas by seeking, checking and connecting them. not simply picking one out and trying to push it towards being true by repeating it often and loudly.

Yeah.

I would mention there is many subjects and areas of practice in which one can be self-taught and still thrive without having received formal education/training. Formal education is not a requisite for everything in life.

BUT

Science is not one of them. 

You can't just search google and think you've done scientific research hahaha

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thefxbip said:

Yeah.

I would mention there is many subjects and areas of practice in which one can be self-taught and still thrive without having received formal education/training. Formal education is not a requisite for everything in life.

BUT

Science is not one of them. 

You can't just search google and think you've done scientific research hahaha

sure, but then there’s self taught and there’s … uneducated, or … dumb.

for example, i have a poor university education but left school with nothing. my brother left school with nothing. he had a good boss and is extremely good at what he does. we discuss the pandemic with no major struggles in observing or communicating. the major difference is a little speed and attention to detail, but the intelligence overall is close that it’s not a clash or struggle, nor is it conspiracy theory territory.

there’s a sense the level and standard of each country’s education system is reflected in the detail of how it’s population has responded and behaved.

the USA, for example, has a familiar tinge of not realising there’s other countries. there’s no place in a global issue beyond what turns up on its soil, rather than what’s occurring elsewhere involving different cultures and systems.

the UK doesn’t quite get it’s a small country with an historical global impact over many centuries that convinced it that everything it does is somehow likely guaranteed to be a major success. despite 160K+ deaths (plus so much more) to the contrary. it’s also doesn’t know it’s education level is 19th century and about discipline and basic skills for employment in industrial settings run by people with greater privilege and exploitative inclinations.

i am sure many other places rely or succeed through greater awareness of, and concern for, or fear of, other people. some will be more inclined to accept being told what to do. either to avoid trouble from punishment, or from knowing the impact of spreading disease and being very conscious of what it does.

Edited by logboy

9 hours ago, logboy said:

there’s a sense the level and standard of each country’s education system is reflected in the detail of how it’s population has responded and behaved.

A recent study has looked into this. Although education wasn't explicitly part of the model, "trust in science" was part of it.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(22)00172-6/fulltext

Findings

The factors that explained the most variation in cumulative rates of SARS-CoV-2 infection between Jan 1, 2020, and Sept 30, 2021, included the proportion of the population living below 100 m (5·4% [4·0–7·9] of variation), GDP per capita (4·2% [1·8–6·6] of variation), and the proportion of infections attributable to seasonality (2·1% [95% uncertainty interval 1·7–2·7] of variation). Most cross-country variation in cumulative infection rates could not be explained. The factors that explained the most variation in COVID-19 IFR over the same period were the age profile of the country (46·7% [18·4–67·6] of variation), GDP per capita (3·1% [0·3–8·6] of variation), and national mean BMI (1·1% [0·2–2·6] of variation). 44·4% (29·2–61·7) of cross-national variation in IFR could not be explained. Pandemic-preparedness indices, which aim to measure health security capacity, were not meaningfully associated with standardised infection rates or IFRs. Measures of trust in the government and interpersonal trust, as well as less government corruption, had larger, statistically significant associations with lower standardised infection rates. High levels of government and interpersonal trust, as well as less government corruption, were also associated with higher COVID-19 vaccine coverage among middle-income and high-income countries where vaccine availability was more widespread, and lower corruption was associated with greater reductions in mobility. If these modelled associations were to be causal, an increase in trust of governments such that all countries had societies that attained at least the amount of trust in government or interpersonal trust measured in Denmark, which is in the 75th percentile across these spectrums, might have reduced global infections by 12·9% (5·7–17·8) for government trust and 40·3% (24·3–51·4) for interpersonal trust. Similarly, if all countries had a national BMI equal to or less than that of the 25th percentile, our analysis suggests global standardised IFR would be reduced by 11·1%.

Interpretation

Efforts to improve pandemic preparedness and response for the next pandemic might benefit from greater investment in risk communication and community engagement strategies to boost the confidence that individuals have in public health guidance. Our results suggest that increasing health promotion for key modifiable risks is associated with a reduction of fatalities in such a scenario.

In other words: lots of the variation could not be explained. But trust in government and general interpersonal trust were important. Something which the US excels at! ;D

Personally, it looks a bit like a "throw a lot of factors into a model and see what sticks" study. But it gives an indication of how these factors perform wrt one another. Even if the deeper underlying causal relations are largely unknown. Or, put differently, interesting to look at, but please don't confuse with TRUTH.

Yeah, I typed that with capitals. Given the bunch of "woke" individuals roaming this forum. Always in a fight to earn points for having THE BEST grasp on "reality". The BEST reality. * Trump fingers *

?

Edited by Satans Little Helper

51 minutes ago, psn said:

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-health-business-immunizations-europe-37ee9470bb72e6a81f80184903ccfa70

Fingers crossed, but I have a feeling this isn't over in one continent until it's over globally. Mutants and all.

Det er en flokk med fete skogstroll som drømmer om å være alene i skogen med alle pengene 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, psn said:

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-health-business-immunizations-europe-37ee9470bb72e6a81f80184903ccfa70

Fingers crossed, but I have a feeling this isn't over in one continent until it's over globally. Mutants and all.

I suspect things got lost in translation. Especially when it comes to the term "endgame". Some might think it means the end of the virus. While others might think it's not the end of the virus, but a transition of the virus into something which is more similar to influenza. In which case the endgame refers more to the end of the various lockdowns and other national strategies to keep the virus in check.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 5:21 PM, thefxbip said:

I agree, in fact I'm edging myself right now

Edit- I cummed

Edited by Amen Warrior
Cummed
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/30/2022 at 10:21 PM, nikisoko said:

i’m guessing you make a mean cup of coffee

Oh you bet your ass I can make you the most delicious and convoluted cup of coffee ever - but I don't drink coffee or caffeinated beverages these days. 

I used to roast beans on the side when I was a baker at this cafe forever ago, that shit tapped my inner mental illness and I became OBSESSED. Drank like 6-8 shots of espresso daily, minimum. Kinda burnt myself out on it.