IGNORED

Radiohead - Kid A MNESIA

beerwolf

On 9/8/2021 at 4:36 AM, randomsummer said:

but I kind of think they ruined several great songs (life in a glass house, motion picture soundtrack) because they felt that they had to have a sound that's 180 degrees different than their previous output.  IMO the earlier, more "traditional" versions of those songs are much better, and I wonder how many other tracks from that era went through the wash like that.

interesting take.  Imo, that self-awareness and subconciously forcing themselves to put things through the wash led to a shift in their songwriting style, culminating in In Rainbows where the studio tendencies and songwriting coalesced into a totally new type of band. So i'm just happy to have the studio versions represent the trajectory they wanted to take

Edited by markedone
  • Like 1

I love both of these albums, not sure if I'm interested in buying again, eager to hear the unreleased stuff.

There's an exhibition thing related to this coming to PS5 (only?).

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 12:36 PM, randomsummer said:

Agreed.  However, sometimes I think they took that u-turn because they felt they had to distance themselves from the OK Computer sound.  I mean, that was a bitch of a record to follow up and I can't fault them for how they chose to do it, but I kind of think they ruined several great songs (life in a glass house, motion picture soundtrack) because they felt that they had to have a sound that's 180 degrees different than their previous output.  IMO the earlier, more "traditional" versions of those songs are much better, and I wonder how many other tracks from that era went through the wash like that.

Tempting as it may be to hear these songs done in an Ok Computer style (like the versions on the 1998 tour documentary) I'd say overall I'm glad they started using the jazz elements and stuff.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, markedone said:

interesting take.  Imo, that self-awareness and subconciously forcing themselves to put things through the wash led to a shift in their songwriting style, culminating in In Rainbows where the studio tendencies and songwriting coalesced into a totally new type of band. So i'm just happy to have the studio versions represent the trajectory they wanted to take

2 hours ago, Key said:

Tempting as it may be to hear these songs done in an Ok Computer style (like the versions on the 1998 tour documentary) I'd say overall I'm glad they started using the jazz elements and stuff.

Like I said, I can't fault them for taking the route they did.  It's probably what allowed them to survive mentally after trying to follow up OK Computer and still be around today, and I'm glad they did take that route.

However, the selfish me who came of age between The Bends and OK Computer really wanted to hear studio versions of those tracks in what it seems were their original styles.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Richie Sombrero said:

Dunno why this doesn't include all the B-sides from the era either.

Anyone willing to share a list of all the b-sides from this era that are out there?  I'm a casual fan, so I've never really checked any of these out.  

They all came out w/ Amnesiac as it had singles.

Fast - Trak
    The Amazing Sounds Of Orgy
    Trans-Atlantic Drawl

Kinetic

Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed as I was much more interested in hearing creative process of these sessions, even the blips had more cool stuff than this new release.

Those are just the official ones listed, I'm sure there's tonnes of fairly developed stuff not released.

Edited by Richie Sombrero
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Extralife said:

Anyone willing to share a list of all the b-sides from this era that are out there?  I'm a casual fan, so I've never really checked any of these out.  

3 hours ago, Richie Sombrero said:

Fast - Trak
    The Amazing Sounds Of Orgy
    Trans-Atlantic Drawl

Kinetic

Also  Cuttooth, Worrywort and Fog from the Knives Out single

They are quite good.

Edited by toaoaoad

8 hours ago, Extralife said:

https://www.discogs.com/Radiohead-Amnesiac/release/13638243 

deluxe Amnesiac from 2009 has all the Bsides. (Tracks 1-8 on CD 2)

On 9/7/2021 at 12:42 PM, nikisoko said:

radiohead is good but every time i listen to them i feel like im turning into my dad listening to Pink Floyd or something so i have to stop

LOL well you're gonna get old whether you like it or not. You can either accept it and listen to Radiohead like your Dad listens to Pink Floyd, or you can deny it and put it off until that day you look in the mirror and realize you are old now. Not middle age. Not getting old with some grey whiskers... no... OLD. And not listening to Radiohead didn't do a damn thing to stop it....

I'm projecting? what do you mean I'm projecting?? YOU are projecting!

Edited by Brisbot
  • Farnsworth 1

4 hours ago, Brisbot said:

LOL well you're gonna get old whether you like it or not.

lots of ways to interpret what i wrote but i’m not sure fear of getting old is entirely it. i think it’s more about being stuck listening to what is my generation’s version of a classic rock figure head. i’m going to be whatever age i am but that doesn’t mean i have to keep listening to a band that peaked in the late nineties.

….i’d rather be listening to tod dockstader

• Like 2

Amnesiac > Kid A. I will always love it.

Thom singing on Ae pls.

Totally looking forward to The Smile. Johnny Greenwood guitar play on Thin Thing is awesome.

Ae is old peoples music. As is RH/Thom. I'm a dinosaur myself (49).

Edited by WurstPLUS
  • Like 1

Didn't think I'd get to see them live in that era but out of the blue they announced a Belfast gig between a Scando and Japanese tour. Basically didn't promote it and arena was half full. It was literally the greatest thing that ever happened to me at the time.

I'll never not love them even if they are probably Torys.

20 hours ago, nikisoko said:

lots of ways to interpret what i wrote but i’m not sure fear of getting old is entirely it. i think it’s more about being stuck listening to what is my generation’s version of a classic rock figure head. i’m going to be whatever age i am but that doesn’t mean i have to keep listening to a band that peaked in the late nineties.

i was trying to make a dumb joke out of it

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 12:39 AM, nikisoko said:

Yo I second that. I get so much more out of his Aerial series than I do just about anything else out there, period… 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"If you say the word" is massive. The beginning already, vibrato guitar and the bass moving down, this is wonderful stuff, doesn't sound old, could have been done by Jonny Greenwood 2021. Perfect autumn track.
The video is excellent. Human being adapting, back to where you belong, you can take a lot from it... Works very well also in a post Corona ("Back to office") context.

Edited by WurstPLUS

6 hours ago, WurstPLUS said:

"If you say the word" is massive. The beginning already, vibrato guitar and the bass moving down, this is wonderful stuff, doesn't sound old, could have been done by Jonny Greenwood 2021. Perfect autumn track.
The video is excellent. Human being adapting, back to where you belong, you can take a lot from it... Works very well also in a post Corona ("Back to office") context.

Hilarious vid, no cameos from the 'heads though? Anyone spot them?