IGNORED

Dave Monolith - Welcome

Redruth

I think i remember dave getting signed to mu at one point. if anyone remembers the mu forum (rip) , signed artists to mu, used to be in orange if they had a forum account, and people assumed he was gona have his first release on there but then the rephlex download shop opened and volume 1 was released

Interesting, thanks for sharing this since I’ve never heard of such possibility. All I’ve heard is that Mu was interested of Steinvord. Seems that they chose the legendary status of Rephlex over the functionality of Mu, but how did it work out in the end. Well Venetian Snares knew better. Wasn’t Rephlex interested in Aaron or have I been severely trolled?

See Herr Jan, not so far-fetched idea. :biggrin:

I think i remember dave getting signed to mu at one point. if anyone remembers the mu forum (rip) , signed artists to mu, used to be in orange if they had a forum account, and people assumed he was gona have his first release on there but then the rephlex download shop opened and volume 1 was released

Interesting, thanks for sharing this since I’ve never heard of such possibility. All I’ve heard is that Mu was interested of Steinvord. Seems that they chose the legendary status of Rephlex over the functionality of Mu, but how did it work out in the end. Well Venetian Snares knew better. Wasn’t Rephlex interested in Aaron or have I been severely trolled?

Hehe, so it seems! Didn't knew about that tidbit :) I'd really wouldn't complain if it did come out Planet Mu, it's a great well-run label and it will get a proper release with them on multiple formats.

Not sure about Rephlex and Aaron Funk, I don't think they were on it actually. They did pass on Boards Of Canada, if I'm correct Richard regretted that afterwards, Grant not so much :)

I remember Mike dropped Monolith's "Farewell Frenchman" in his Electronic Explorations mix before it came out. I could have sworn he said something like "forthcoming on Planet Mu" when the mix was posted, although now the tracklist mentions Rephlex.

MORE Monolith please!!!

Edited by weakmassive

I seem to remember Winter In The Belly Of A Snake was mooted to come out on Rephlex around the time, but I don't know what happened.

If he won't release it himself (like Aleksi Perala or Jodey Kendrick) it'll come out on other good labels I'm sure. I'd say Planet Mu has become pretty different from Rephlex type stuff, I was thinking more about WeMe, Signals, etc. (the other labels in the braindance label thread basically :)). I'm mostly curious about the bandcamp page Monolith was trying to start up, must be publicised soon I hope!

I was lucky enough to see Monolith live in Amsterdam at the last official Rephlex "tour" (a couple of dates in Europe in 2010 with Bogdan, EDMX, Monolith and Ceephax, in the UK with Vibert too I think), a lot of good videos of that gig are also on YT, and someone recorded the whole gig even! Some really good stuff in there too :)

Damn, I forgot how good Monolith was. It's not the same if it's not Rephlex putting it out. We need to get Grant and Richard back with Rephlex, or something else, they always spot the best up and coming braindancers. This just can't end.

I seem to remember Winter In The Belly Of A Snake was mooted to come out on Rephlex around the time, but I don't know what happened.

Yup. Aaron's stuff was also being shopped around Warp at the time too, but he wanted to stay with Mu.

• 6 years later...
On 8/10/2021 at 4:40 AM, dr lopez said:

let's hope dave sees enough out of this to refund the tape money

Genuinely the main reason I'll be buying, so my money can be redistributed amongst watmmers affected by the biggest electronic music scandal since moby diddled natalie portman

• Haha 1

looks like this baby is sold out! hope everyone got their copies

On 8/13/2021 at 4:36 AM, silentvision said:

Hope the image on the WeMe page is a quick mockup and they recreate it better for the final product.

agreed. i kinda like the block colours, but the OG art def benefited from having a longer trail.

On 8/13/2021 at 5:36 AM, silentvision said:

Hope the image on the WeMe page is a quick mockup and they recreate it better for the final product.

Her's the reply I got from Fred after pointing out some aesthetic blunders in the new artwork:

"It's a point of view...

but not Dave's"

• Haha 1