About to rewatch Strange Days for about the 10th time. Remember watching this movie for the first time when I was 12, left a big impression on me and it's a 90's classic imho. 

hero_EB19951013REVIEWS510130303AR.jpg

Joshy - the kind of modern american indie movie that I usually hate, but it was actually pretty good. Funny, with some genuine pathos - but doesn't beat you over the head with it in a tacky way, good acting with an ensemble cast (Middleditch in particular was great) who I'm guessing did a fair bit of improvising, great soundtrack too. Kind of petered out at the very end though.

c1ciL0l.jpg

this was surprisingly really good. i have to say, as much as this is a james mcavoy centerpiece, imo anya taylor-joy stole the show. a few cringey moments (mainly when hedwig and patricia show up) and a plodding middle part but the last half makes up for it.

seven different personalities out of ten

The Monuments Men - Watched simply for John Goodman and Bill Murray. Wasn't sure what to expect out of a George Clooney film. Was OK but I wouldn't really recommend it. I think a documentary would be better if there is one.

passengers

dude wakes up 90 years early on a posh interstellar cruise liner. he has the perfect existence. dance dance revolution solo mode, holographic basketball, ethnic restaurants run by robots (no weird smells or rude staff), drinks at the bar from the shining, evenings spent contemplating the stars. then he throws it all away to hang out with jennifer lawrence. we never learn.

Prisoners (2013)

Really enjoyed this, kept your interest despite the long running time and allowed for smooth enough plot development and foreshadowing. Shot beautifully via master Deakons, was a breath of fresh air having previously watched the awful first episode of The OA. Looking forward to checking Arrival, Denis Villeneuve seems to be quite the talent, was a big fan of Enemy

*facepalm* the... horror.

I can I can't

Oops, that was in reply to an old post.

I can I can't

Meet Joe Black

I cringed so hard I put my back out. Brad doing a dodgy Jamaican accent is surely one of the worst acting moments ever.

I can I can't

Guest bitroast

isn't this just the apoc now poster (can't hear you saying "stop paying attention to hollywood over the sound of my own bored snoring"  :catsupine: )

meanwhile.. the poster japan are getting right now ..  :cattears:

C4EzBn-WQAI34mu.jpg

The Killers (1946)

v v good. been slowly working my way through a film noir box set i brought last year and this might be the best so far.

i also watched Birdman a few days ago which was fantastic. worth the hype.

hacksaw ridge - i think mel gibson is really fucking dumb, and im talking this stereotypical, high school, roided sports jock level dumb here. his films are solely based on those overtly masculine axes of courage, strength, self-sacrifice, strong devotion to whatever cause and violence, and that's basically it, there are no other human qualities that he's capable of mentally processing and dealing with seriously in a film it seems. there are literally g-rated disney animated features with more nuance, intelligence and depth in characters. i kinda expected all that given braveheart and apocalypto that followed a similar aforementioned pattern, and was more curious about how he'd do the actual ww2 combat, because he does have a good eye for the actual action side of things and managed to capture that really visceral feel well in those two films. but even that is no good here, it's all just a foggy, dull, claustrophobic mess of slow mo gore that just serves as background for doss's unabashed hagiography, it's doesn't even look like a combat with any sensible idea of space on a battlefield with some kind of sensible tactics of the warring parties. i hope it wins all the oscars its nominated for though, just to make this whole academy awards institution implode from its own ridiculousness and abandonment of all notion of taste and of what should be expected of decent cinema.

Edited by eugene

Lion looks like the kind of self-congratulatory pablum that Western cinema will produce to cater to purely Western audiences' romantic desires for uplifting stories from the struggling/impoverished parts of the East, whilst irl they continue to hold the same ignorant/reactionary opinions about real people from that part of the world. does nothing for me.

Hacksaw Ridge

Andrew Garfield plays a mix between Forrest Gump and Leo from Of Mice and Men but in a miniature version - not quite as dumb but extremely naïve. He's a loveable idiot. Then he saves a bunch of people. A bunch of other people blow up really good (thx, Mel). I was kinda expecting it to be more gory. Anyway.

Fake lighting and gore/10

The Signalman (1976).....short, unearthly psychological BBC of the kind really nailed during the 1970's @ times

Denholm Elliott plays the lead in a Dickens classic, but it has a similar drifting atmosphere as Picnic At Hanging Rock, def wintry safeness to that sultry madness

remember watching that in english class ages ago. me and my mates would just constantly quote the "hello there, down below!" good little film init? that face was well scary