Few films recently....

Medusa Touch

Welsh alcoholic plays mind control games. We will bring the whole edifice down on their unworthy heads! 

Executive Action 1972 

JFK Conspiracy from early 70s, I followed this up with an Adam Curtis doc A is for Atom - my loathing for government bad decisions increasing 

Predestination

Time loop infinite, like being in England in the 1800s, pure family lines, keep it in the family etc

Victoria

Spanish worker in Berlin meets real Berliners and seems bored by them, these are my friends Dotzen, Dippy and Donato. 

Storytelling

Interracial sex scenes obscured with giant red squares, no Happiness but Giamatti and the exploitation of teenage angst by him was great. Loved it. 

Watched Apostle and Cam over the long weekend. 

Cam: Sort of like an extended episode of Black Mirror but more supernatural-e. Never watch this movie with a feminist. 'Nuff said. 

Apostle: Beautifully shot. Solid Acting. Cringe-inducing violence. Good commentary on cult mindsets. Interesting supernatural elements. I spent the last 3 hours wondering when it would be over only to realize 2 hours later when it finished that the movie is only about 2 hours long. 

Watched Apostle and Cam over the long weekend.

Cam: Sort of like an extended episode of Black Mirror but more supernatural-e. Never watch this movie with a feminist. 'Nuff said.

Apostle: Beautifully shot. Solid Acting. Cringe-inducing violence. Good commentary on cult mindsets. Interesting supernatural elements. I spent the last 3 hours wondering when it would be over only to realize 2 hours later when it finished that the movie is only about 2 hours long.

Thanks those are both in my watch list.

Trevor Noah's 'You Laugh But It's True.'

I had a hard time finding Noah funny for the longest time... The I watched this about a week ago. It's not stand up, it's about his life growing up and how he got into the comedy scene/his first one man show.

Even after watching it, I still wasn't really clicking with him, but then I watched 'Son of Patricia' a few days later and it genuinely made me laugh.

I'd recommend to both people who find Trevor Noah funny, and to those that don't. I'm not saying it'll change your mind about him if you don't like him, but with this added context, I can totally see why Stewart would have went to bat for him when producers were trying to find someone as a replacement for The Daily Show.

I've actually started DVRing TDS this last week... And have been enjoying it again. I also want to find more Trevor Noah standup...

<shrug>

Edited by Hk47

I watched Venom. What u gonna do ?

I just watched this too... I was hoping it would be a lot darker and more serious.

I guess something I can say about it is that it's still a massive improvement over the Spider-Man 3 storyline (fuck I hate that movie)...

Maybe in 20 years Venom will get the movie/TV show it deserves.

Edited by Hk47

Hk47, I'll have to look those up, I generally quite like Noah's stuff on TDS, the between the scenes bits on YT are always interesting (and the reporters on the show these days are pretty fun). I haven't checked much if any of his previous comedy or whatever though.

well the issue is there is no actual comedy. there is no attempt at craft. no comedic POV through the tradition of joke construction. it's just "good points" and slackjawed mugging. disgusting.

i like comedy where it's like what if ______ was black / gay / mentally handicapped.

Hmmm... I don't get that.

I mean... I do... But it's just as cheap as the obvious for me.

I... I get that... ... ... Those types of people are here to point out the obvious ridiculousness within everything going on...

But then to take it into 'what if' territory just seems equally as cheap to me...

Maybe that's why I didn't initially click with Noah at first? No idea. It's still kind of a mystery to me.

Though... Something 'comedy' related that I did REALLY enjoy on a more personal level recently was Hasan Minhaj's 'Homecoming King'.

That hit me.

On a more... Provocative level.

He made it incredibly personal. He... Got deeper --- well... Deeper than most stand up personalities do... --- into himself while up on stage.

I totally respected it.

I'm still not there with Noah...

But Minhaj looked like he totally found his comedic voice.

And after watching Trevor's backstory... It feels like he's almost there as well.

I might feel differently about every comedian if I learned about where they were raised, though.

So I guess my recommendation for 'You Laugh But It's True' should be taken with a grain of salt...

But...

<shrug>

I don't know what I'm really trying to get at...

Ramble ramble ramble...

Edited by Hk47

I don't think so...

It's just plain bad...

I'm sure it'll have some sort of following in the years to come, all movies seem to, no matter how horrid they are...

I... I get that... ... ... Those types of people are here to point out the obvious ridiculousness within everything going on...

But then to take it into 'what if' territory just seems equally as cheap to me...

Maybe that's why I didn't initially click with Noah at first? No idea. It's still kind of a mystery to me.

Though... Something 'comedy' related that I did REALLY enjoy on a more personal level recently was Hasan Minhaj's 'Homecoming King'.

That hit me.

He made it incredibly personal. He... Got deeper --- well... Deeper than most stand up personalities do... --- into himself while up on stage.

I totally respected it.

And after watching Trevor's backstory... It feels like he's almost there as well.

I might feel differently about every comedian if I learned about where they were raised, though.

So I guess my recommendation for 'You Laugh But It's True' should be taken with a grain of salt...

But...

<shrug>

Ramble ramble ramble...

I was just making a cum town joke

That hit me.

I totally respected it.

But...

<shrug>

Ramble ramble ramble...

I was just making a cum town joke

Ha... Thanks for that. I hadn't heard of Cum Town...

I've only listened to a few minutes of one of their podcasts, but I see what you mean now.

=P

Funny I had to Google that... I was a little worried about what might pop up.

=X

yesterday i started watching the new predator, visually it is pretty eye candy, looks like a hd re-master of an 80's movie, guess it's on purpose but even if it isn't it just adds to the magic... even the acting was completely out of place like movies from the 80's, pretty campy... gonna watch the rest and i don't even care that much so i guess i'm not gonna be disappointed...