I think the production design becomes much more important when you look at it in the context of when the movie was released. When did you first watch it? The story is fairly simple, it's not a very good adaptation of the book, the acting is solid, the themes are interesting enough but nothing earth shattering, so viewed for those aspects alone it would be a fairly average movie. Its still one of my favourite films though, it's just a very fully realised world, the attention to detail is outstanding. The music of course is amazing as well.

First watched it when i was 18, recently watched it again and I'm 21

which version did you see?

overall BR's pacing is spot on, for the early 80's its creative scope is incredible & it does mind-blowing justice to PKD's raft of dystopian ideas

in summary, watch it again until you're subconsciously mouthing "like tears in rain" to all & sundry

Saw the Final Cut

c759pZk.jpg

can you prosecute someone for their thoughts? here is a cop who wants to kidnap a total of 100 women, torture them, kill them, cook them and eat them. he details everything with 2 accomplices (not cops)- they even swear they would do it, but they don't actually do it. are they guilty? their defense: we got fantasies. problem? they were pretty meticulous and detailed in said fantasies.

that's the conundrum this documentary is dealing with

interesting description and also odd that it sounds very very similar to Cannibal Cop a documentary that came out not too long ago, also HBO?

maybe we're talking about the same documentary? the full title is thought crimes: the case of the cannibal cop

i remember hearing about this guy in the news and feeling extremely repulsed but at the same time very confused morally/ethically. not sure i could sit through a full documentary with all the murder plot details fleshed out (huk). knee jerk reaction is it certainly seems like more than just a "thought crime" when you start sharing and meticulously planning it with other people

Arizona Dream

Welp, that was one whacky film. Nice to see something as sureal and 'out-there' having such a large budget and cast of A-list actors. Lots of really cool things here, but sadly it just drags on way too long trying to structure a story in something that is inherantly trying to have no structure. Acting is top class, Vincent Gallo is purty' hilarious. But overall a missed chance at greatness.

Faye Dunaway still got it/10

Watched Fury Road last night, was pretty good but not quite deserving of all the hype. It was basically one extended action sequence, which was really well executed, but could've done with a bit more of an interesting plot.

Not sure if I told you guys already but I've seen The Congress a while ago, pretty cool too on the surreal stuff.

Aw yea The Congress has great surreal stuff, animation was bonkers cool. Pity it felt so empty and cold overall :wacko:

Frequencies

I have to admit I might need to watch this again to fully understand it. I found the movie as it progressed more and more existential, and I love the involvement of classical music to it's themes as a resolution. I couldn't possibly elaborate any further, must watch it at least another time.

I'll score it 4/5 stars.

Edited by sine nomine

a pigeon sat on a branch reflecting on existence - massive disappointment, it was my most anticipated movie in recent memory and it just doesn't work at all, it's just dull, dry and and overly literal. it's like a completely souldrained version of the previous two films in the trilogy. hope it improves with another viewing cause i really don't want to give up on it.

la french (the connection) - there's really no reason for such movies to exist, this glossy, 70's, beige tinted, crime dramas have been made and remade to death already so that you can perfectly predict every plot turn. it really brings nothing of value to the table.

slow west - a young scottish twerp goes seeking for his love in the 1870 midwest, in the end she kills him by accident during a shootout. she probably didn't love him anyway.

teacher of the year - i watched exactly two minutes of this movie before shift+deleting it. it's pretty amazing how just a couple of simple gestures and mannerisms can communicate perfectly that this particular film will be an awfully lame and uninspired rehashing of that mockumentary thing spinal tap and the british office series nailed perfectly.

like someone in love - a masterful, sensitive and detailed portrayal of a 2 day slice of life of a few people in tokyo in which an unorthodox love trianlge takes place. it's very mike leigh-nian in its attention to detail and process, something that i really like in movies. will def check something else by this director.

gett - besides the in-your-face portrayal of the horrible israeli medieval marriage/divorce institution which might not interest non-israelis, this is really a great, profound and captivating drama with flawless acting.

The Poltergeist remake was pretty flat and uneventful. Sam Rockwell playing himself again, they may as well have got Ben Stiller.

The original Poltergeist was no masterpiece but i'd still prefer Tobey Hooper and Craig T Nelson heading up this remake and see what they done with it.

Sadly it's another remake where they think shifting a few narrative variables and making it 'tech' heavy will create a fresh vibe.

We at the music makers demand original fresh horror and this didn't cut the mustard.

Hmm, maybe Hollywood will do a shot-for-shot remake of Cocoon, except every character will be browsing the internet on their iPhones.

Watched Bladerunner for the second time last night, and I have to say, I'm not that impressed. Can someone explain why they like this movie? I just felt like the pacing was dragging and the characters flat. I'm interested in the themes but I felt like an average film like Ex Machina explored them more thoroughly than this. Of course set design was spectacular but I don't feel like the story deserved to exist in a world so beautifully crafted.

Not trying to troll, just looking for honest positive interpretation on this film.

I feel Bladerunner is an abstract emotional experience, about feeling the ambiance. Bladerunner is one of the few films where I can feel the walls, and feel the fabrics, and smell the air... For me it's like 2-D VR, with 2-D everything-o-vision.

a pigeon sat on a branch reflecting on existence - massive disappointment, it was my most anticipated movie in recent memory and it just doesn't work at all, it's just dull, dry and and overly literal. it's like a completely souldrained version of the previous two films in the trilogy. hope it improves with another viewing cause i really don't want to give up on it.

Also spot on. Edited by Gocab

Short Term 12. I liked it a lot. really sweet and innocent in a way. I kept expecting something horrible to happen and the movie ending on a downer but that didn't happen, refreshingly.

Teorema: only having seem Salo as my entry point into Pasolini i guess i was expecting something a little more meaty than what i saw. The premise of Teorema (at first) is interesting: what if a mysterious man was able to seduce every single member of a close knit immediate family (son daughter husband and wife)? It's a setup for a potentially really great film but beyond the setup i was left pretty disappointed. Terrence Stamp is awesome, but his character exits the movie about halfway through leaving us to deal with the aftermath of how he affected the lives of the family members. Its cute to see how the 'visitor' drastically changed their lives but not enough to hold 50% of the film. 6/10

Is salo considered one of his more accomplished/fleshed out films? this had a way more minimalistic feel to it

Edited by John Ehrlichman

I saw 'Max' today, not to be confused with 'Mad Max: Fury Road' it's about a military dog whose handler is killed and gets ptsd then sent back to it's handler's family. I was pretty impressed. It's all-ages for the most part, PG-rating-ish, and it has a faint made for TV movie quality about it, but pretty effective in creating tension, and defied the cliche/nationalistic tropes that are so prevalent these days. Bring the whole family!

mVyfedA.jpg

a movie length version of an amy schumer skit with many "celebrity" guest appearances to eat up the bigger budget even though they're completely unnecessary