IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

I dont know why this is so important, all that this will accomplished is another 250 pages of idiots saying why X track wasnt in there, is this what you want.

Im convinced that some people arent fans of the music, that are fans of being fans of something, and all this bullshit is just fandome diatribe

Agreed. Burn your own best of cd. Print out an album cover. Place in jewel case. Enjoy. If you want vinyl, get a dub plate made. There are plenty of websit's for that.

I dont know why this is so important, all that this will accomplished is another 250 pages of idiots saying why X track wasnt in there, is this what you want.

Im convinced that some people arent fans of the music, that are fans of being fans of something, and all this bullshit is just fandome diatribe

Listen, if this turns into a properly mastered release I'll be as happy as the next guy. But I would have MUCH PREFERRED user18081979 to just keep uploading tunes, and making them downloadable when he feels like it. *Edit* maybe he still will. Best of both worlds would be nice

Edited by relaks

people seem to be missing the fact that the compilation talk pretty much started with rdj suggesting a poll to collect peoples favourites track to then turn them into an album, maybe ??

he suggested it cause a lot of people sent him messages asking about releasing those

you guys literally will find anything to complain about.

i mean lol.

seriously. watmm shits on the best stuff every time.

its a way to support james and help him appease his warp lords. do i really need to say that better quality versions could be very nice?

Edited by very honest

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

you guys literally will find anything to complain about.

i mean lol.

Yeah, I'm having to bite my tongue pretty hard with some of these comments. 227 tracks uploaded for free. Strong hints that he's not done uploading yet (and even if he was that's a shitload of great music anyway). The suggestion that he might go back and re-encode people's favourites and master them himself. More official stuff on Warp incoming... and people are somehow acting like they know better than Richard does what he should do with his own music? Insane

It's pretty hard to pick tracks as it often took years to get into some of the tunes. By voting them only the most accessible ones will make it but that's not what afx is about

He clearly stated that he will not follow the suggestions for a 100% but will pick some of the tracks himself, so I'm pretty sure it would be a nice compilation.

What about remastered tracks available for download as flac/wav?

Otoh I would just as soon be crack on with the uploading.

In my opinion people who are into making the poll and a compilatio cd are missing out on how beautiful the SC dump is because you are still attach to this idea of some plastic junk being woth something, i mean people are talking about like "i need this physical CD in my house" in the mean time theres 200+ to enjoy and manipulate playlist however you want, its an amazing and beautiful thing, dont ruin it.

Edited by Deer

yeah why is this so important? all i can see is your non-stop complaining about people who want to hear rdj's music. what are you doing here anyway?

fair points but who is ruining it? it was the man himself who responded to fans' suggestions of releasing some of this in physical form. why not let everyone have their cake and eat it, too?

Edited by cebec

I have no need for physical media, that shit is an anachronism to me. The point isn't to have a physical object with some artwork, it's to have some of the best tracks properly mastered and lovingly tweaked by the man himself (plus a bonus track or two he said he wouldn't stick on the soundcloud). If he'd rather not do it and instead concentrate on the occasional new upload and making new tracks I'm not going to complain, but it seems equally silly to complain if he does want to put out a properly mastered release. I get the impression from his recent interviews he always wanted to put out a box set or at least the best of some of his unreleased tracks, he was just never able to choose between all the tracks - this poll idea should get around that.

but it seems equally silly to complain if he does want to put out a properly mastered release. I get the impression from his recent interviews he always wanted to put out a box set or at least the best of some of his unreleased tracks, he was just never able to choose between all the tracks - this poll idea should get around that.

Fair point !

i hope xf cunningly builds a poll where tracks get automatically added to some secret RDJ bandcamp, entirely mastered and whatnot.

(same for the mu-ziq sc btw!)

:ok:

please wake me up when the polling site is up and running

I don't even know how any of whats going on be taken in a negative light. Fuck loads of Aphex music at our disposal as it is. Plus a release of a polled 'best of' fully mastered. This is all a dream come true.. ( oh and a medium to talk directly to Rich, in which he is actually responding and reading tons). This is all fucking amazing and fun.

I don't even know how any of whats going on be taken in a negative light. Fuck loads of Aphex music at our disposal as it is. Plus a release of a polled 'best of' fully mastered. This is all a dream come true.. ( oh and a medium to talk directly to Rich, in which he is actually responding and reading tons). This is all fucking amazing and fun.

Exactly, its all amazing and I'm sure he's not worried about the logistics of this project as it develops

After this many years he must know his fans are rabid and he can't satisfy every suggestion they make :)

At this point on Soundcloud he's probably been asked for downloads in the comments at least 300 times!

He might be resisting downloads to avoid unmastered rough tracks being considered as finished products, so he might really enjoy having some chosen by fans that he can bring to their full potential and show how it's done, with all the skills and recording equipment at his disposal now :) Then when they're released in whatever format, he can be satisfied with the production and not thinking he could have boosted this or eq'd that or fixed the drums or slowed it down, etc

We all know how detailed he is about sound, but he's made no apologies about streaming at 128 and hasn't even really addressed downloading at all despite the constant comments; he must know what they sound like at 128, so for his purposes on unrefined tracks 128 might be more than enough-- "Lifetrax" was basically a more mastered version of "last clissold maybe", and to me sounds better streaming at 128 than the raw last clissold sounds at 320

I have no need for physical media, that shit is an anachronism to me. The point isn't to have a physical object with some artwork, it's to have some of the best tracks properly mastered and lovingly tweaked by the man himself (plus a bonus track or two he said he wouldn't stick on the soundcloud). If he'd rather not do it and instead concentrate on the occasional new upload and making new tracks I'm not going to complain, but it seems equally silly to complain if he does want to put out a properly mastered release. I get the impression from his recent interviews he always wanted to put out a box set or at least the best of some of his unreleased tracks, he was just never able to choose between all the tracks - this poll idea should get around that.

yes music is all about bad mp3 and hard drive. lol

it's about sound waves vibrating through the air and into my ears. if other people get off on fetishising physical objects good for them. the medium is irrelevant to me though.

it's about sound waves vibrating through the air and into my ears. if other people get off on fetishising physical objects good for them. the medium is irrelevant to me though.

please tell me that nobody on this forum get introduced to aphex via his album artwork or his two famous video. sound waves lol pls

:facepalm:

please tell me that nobody on this forum get introduced to aphex via his album artwork or his two famous video. sound waves lol pls

:facepalm:

I got introduced to him at a house party which was playing a shitty tape copy of SAW. Worked for me.