IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

the most appaling thing is that almost nobody seemed to have voted for Dulcimer Dub or Tsim 2

man selecting just 5 is too hard, going to await a proper voting thing

Big love for those tracks.

If we ARE restricted to 5 votes, part of me thinks I should just be vouching for the under-appreciated stuff. I mean, stuff like Organ and Sekonda are pretty much gonna end up on this release no matter what. Fans of those need not worry. But what about 70`s Tune, Bradley Echoes, Hilo, nocares, Slo Bird Whistle, etc? I seriously dig all of those, but in reality they haven't got a fucking chance.

I damn sure hope Slo Bird Whistle has a shot at claiming a spot. Tsim and no cares as well, but Slo Bird Whistle especially. Judging by the reception around here though Shit Smothered would probably topple it in a poll.

Guest bitroast

so do we all just chime in with our top 5 in this thread and they will be counted?

I only put up a quick top 5 because other posters were discussing how difficult it would be, but it appears to have started a chain reaction that'll probably end up wiping out civilization before the maniton can finish his work on the poll. Sorry about that guys. WTF does maniton even mean anyway?

the most appaling thing is that almost nobody seemed to have voted for Dulcimer Dub or Tsim 2

man selecting just 5 is too hard, going to await a proper voting thing

loooove dulcimer dub (or anything from the dump with that ICBYD era drum production/sound scape going on. dulcimer dub is verrrrry nice in that regard.

managed to narrow down a playlist of favourite tracks down to 18 tracks and realised i havent exactly chosen anything pre-1994.

interested to see how the results of the voting turns out, with everyone voting their key favourite tracks only. interesting stuff..

part of me doesn't fully understand why this would need to be narrowed down in any way. Look no further than the label Vinyl On Demand who specializes in massively inflated vinyl box sets. Surely Warp is capable of something comprehensive like this? Why is everybody saying 'mastering 200 tracks is an impossible task' its not at all, mastering engineers work fairly quickly they just like being paid a lot (and that would cost a lot of money but money that can easily be made back in profit).

while i agree it would be rad to have them all mastered, the stumbling block is that rdj has to/wants to source the tracks from original dats/cassettes. so he would have to dig them all up and spend days re-digitizing them all, or ship them all off to a mastering engineer and risk losing them all in the mail etc. both prob unlikely.

Edited by Ingwe

how about we make a poll for the worst tracks on the sounddump, and let the chosen remix god scratch the shit out of em :wang:

would be a lot more simple cause most of the sounddump tracks are already awesome and don't need a rework :music:

Has anyone else tried MyCloudPlayer.com? I was trying to find an alternative to using the Soundcloud site and this is pretty good.

You can also make playlists and share them. I sorted them into likes and just made a quick playlist of the top 10 likes as an example. Could be good for sharing some playlists easily here.

As usual, best with an adblocker.

Has anyone else tried MyCloudPlayer.com? I was trying to find an alternative to using the Soundcloud site and this is pretty good.

You can also make playlists and share them. I sorted them into likes and just made a quick playlist of the top 10 likes as an example. Could be good for sharing some playlists easily here.

wow! this is really a great webapp!

makes it easy to sort the lot of tracks by likes or playcount, in descending order:

3AVun3H.png

makes it easy to sort the lot of tracks by likes or playcount, in descending order:

It also gives a breakdown of a tracks

BPM; Danceabilty; Enerty; Speechiness (?); Liveness (?)

Good for a laugh

2T4tMhW.png

Edited by Brionic

3AVun3H.png

great find!!

can the sound cloud likes be used as a voting mechanism? maybe at the end of a specific date, he can just sort by that and figure out what he wants to do?

can the sound cloud likes be used as a voting mechanism? maybe at the end of a specific date, he can just sort by that and figure out what he wants to do?

Maybe a weighted average between the soundcloud playcount & likes is a measure to take into account.

Can someone summarize what has happened in the past week? I'm not following this voting thing.

Last Friday, RDJ changed his Soundcloud bio to this... (it's since been removed)

In answer to a lot of messages:

hmmm..i think if there were some sort of poll or something, I would get the best of/faves mastered & pressed up/backed up.

I can make almost all of these tracks sound A LOT better, if I transfer them properly myself and then master them .

There are lots of other releases planned on Warp but it could fit in fine there somewhere.

Since then, xf (and presumably Joyrex) have started working on a poll with direct input from Rich himself.

the other part of me says this project should be produced/sold outside of Aphex's contractual obligation (whatever they might be) with Warp and the project should be split up among several different smaller labels that specialize in good vinyl pressings (of every single track he put up on soundcloud)

edit: Aphex can get around his contractual obligations, as he probably already did by posting them on soundcloud with nothing saying 'this is by aphex twin'. He could if he wanted to tomorrow send off batches of playlists to all different indie labels with a note saying 'have at it cunts' and people would lose their shit.

I don't think he can release anything on another label under the name Aphex Twin. But perhaps user18081971 can be the first artist signed to Rephlex Records 2.0

Can someone summarize what has happened in the past week? I'm not following this voting thing.

Last Friday, RDJ changed his Soundcloud bio to this... (it's since been removed)

In answer to a lot of messages:

hmmm..i think if there were some sort of poll or something, I would get the best of/faves mastered & pressed up/backed up.

I can make almost all of these tracks sound A LOT better, if I transfer them properly myself and then master them .

There are lots of other releases planned on Warp but it could fit in fine there somewhere.

Since then, xf (and presumably Joyrex) have started working on a poll with direct input from Rich himself.

Ok. But what's all this stuff about "only 5 votes"?

update - making decent progress on this, have a mostly functional frontend, just need to implement the backend. i've got a ton of ideas about how to make this even cooler but given it's a dynamic system i intend on adding to it over time - just want to get something that works up first.

have had a rad offer of assistance with design from a fellow watmm'er, so hopefully it'll look the part too.

will update soon!

the 5 votes thing was a suggestion afx made, but i'm gonna guess this is a totally arbitrary number (the pertinent point being a limited set of votes), but i'll ask him in the next couple of days

post here (look for the white background text):

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/85636-richard-d-james-soundcloud-a-gift-to-the-fans/?view=findpost&p=2324608