IGNORED

Actress - AZD

Digging that Bass and Tone track... pure fire

Picking up some fresh leeks from local grocer fo sho

Digging this too!  Though...

Can't help but feeling chuffed at having already bought two of these tracks on Blerp, not knowing they'd be re-appearing on the album.  Darryl wtf

I just got the Flac copy from e-onkyo.

It's okay, I guess. Something to have on while I work. In a week, I will probably have forgotten about it.

I've only had one listen, but it is intriguing. While I didn't like Ghettoville at first, and still think the track sequencing is a problem, I definitely dig it hard now. I can't help but wonder why he added some of these tracks instead of including some of those wicked longform ambient minimalist pieces he sometimes gives away over twitter. Atm, the standout for me is 'There's and Angel in the Shower'. I always feel an urge to skip the latter half of "Dancing in the Smoke".

R.I.P was the first album that got me into him and I really appreciated the oblique references to Paradise Lost. I would hunt down interviews for any morsel of information, and even laboured through the work by John Milton. Spoiler: It's amazing.

With this record, I find myself cringing through interviews. The concept sounds muddy at best and some of his quotes are the height of pretentiousness... No one cares, but I had to get that off my chest.

there's an angel in the shower is lush as f0k m8

i'm only just getting into Actress properly. i've listened to and enjoyed his stuff before but it hasn't really stuck in my memory. recently though it's completely resonating with me. on first listen i'd say this is better than Ghettoville and Hazyville but not quite reaching R.I.P. or Splazsh levels.

Edited by QQQ

Actress reminds me of getting into BOC. Though I bought MHTRTC when it was released, then Geogaddi and then TCH, it was only after TCH that the penny finally dropped. Why did I keep listening every now and again? Why did I keep buying the albums when I wasn't so mad on them? There was just something ​I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Actress has that similar vibe (imo). The penny hasn't yet dropped but it's ​just teetering on the edge....

Whenever I read Actress interviews I find him incredibly gnomic and not sure whether he's hilarious or a bloody nutter. This one seems to be a lot more modern/futuristic sounding and slick, I guess the chrome thing plays that up. A complete about turn from the grimy, rusty-sounding Ghettoville. This time round the weird eq and filtering tricks sound more familiar and recognisable and are aping certain specific eras in pop music as opposed to the alien methodical stuff on Splazsh/R.I.P.  Snatches of classical strings mixed in with RnB basslines and classic detroit rhythms. and the usual white noise/textural stuff he does. Still very original sounding.

there's an angel in the shower is lush as f0k m8

i'm only just getting into Actress properly. i've listened to and enjoyed his stuff before but it hasn't really stuck in my memory. recently though it's completely resonating with me. on first listen i'd say this is better than Ghettoville and Hazyville but not quite reaching R.I.P. or Splazsh levels.

+ angel in the shower

fwiw that boxset on ninjatune is still 50% off

i've now done two listens. emperor's new clothes..... again. no actual *there* there, just frustrating attempts that go nowhere. will give it one last listen before just fucking giving up - forever. I cannot wrap my head around why people on this board think this music is not just listenable but in fact *exceptional* 

I'm actually very curious if someone or many people could explain to me exactly what actress is doing, why it's interesting, why it's unique etc etc because I can't come up with anything other than the critique-proof old chestnut of "it's experimental/ atmospheric"

Edited by dr lopez

i've now done two listens. emperor's new clothes..... again. no actual *there* there, just frustrating attempts that go nowhere. will give it one last listen before just fucking giving up - forever. I cannot wrap my head around why people on this board think this music is not just listenable but in fact *exceptional* 

I'm actually very curious if someone or many people could explain to me exactly what actress is doing, why it's interesting, why it's unique etc etc because I can't come up with anything other than the critique-proof old chestnut of "it's experimental/ atmospheric"

well it's just great music, nothing more to say.

i only heard rip and splash and must have eared them 100times by now and they sound better then ever each time, it's not something you can understand if you listen 3 times to it in a few days

haven't heard the new one yet but fuck this is an amazing artist and i'm gonna get this shit!

lol so stupid. he said nothing

robot? lol

revolutionar<?! then, what are sam and ron?

yeh.. was probably just fucking around with words..

tbh these tunes sound a lot like he mostly sampled loops into an MDUW imho.. filters, lo-fi etc.. just sounds a lot like it.. no?

think it may be his most appealing collection of tracks to me, but also still don't understand that massive, massive praise he's getting.. not really clicking

Yeah, I've never liked any Actress I've heard but this one is pretty solid. That said, it's not amazing and I've never understood the lust everyone has for his tunes. This one is okay as just background/bit of groove and weirdness. Nothing more, certainly not on any of that robot shit he was talking in the Fader interview. Fucking buying instruments because he liked the looks of them and then turning it into a 'robot'? Even if he was writing some programs and throwing sounds in there, it's not a fucking robot dude. It's just some shiny shit. But...whatever works for him, I like the music so I ain't gonna harp on the rest, I'm sure he'd be a blast to have a beer with and hear him blow smoke, ya know? Oh well, I may actually purchase the digital or CD eventually.

congratulations, you have discovered that music is subjective

well it's just great music, nothing more to say.

these responses are completely worthless.

I'm not asking to be told that music "is good" or that "it's subjective."    the latter is especially egregious and infantile considering I actually *asked* to hear your goddamn subjective opinion of this music. If you re-read my post I'm interested in your thoughts about the nature of actress's music, what it does to you, what you think about when you listen to it, why you think it's successful, what he is doing with his music that other's aren't.  I am 100% not interested in hearing that people everywhere have differing responses to music.

please try harder to have actual thoughts, thanks.

congratulations, you have discovered that music is subjective

Music is not subjective, it's the same sound waves for everybody, which can be measured by many devices with identical results.

You mean liking music is subjective? Decent story, but it's not what he's asking. We have roughly the same ear mechanisms and brain processing, so we hear roughly the same stuff happening. Close enough to describe what's happening (Arthur Baker sampling a sped-up Stravinsky orchestral stab from the sound library to use on the beat) and even why it's unique or interesting (nobody did that before and therefore it sounds fresh).