IGNORED

Burial, where art thou?

fumi

• 11 months later...

Timely bump. Yesterday I received a WhatsApp text from The Right Honourable Sam Rice. Proclaiming how he’s discovered an album called Untrue by an artist called Burial and how it’s one of the greatest things he’s ever heard. And did I know about him. I told him to listen to Kindred pronto. I think his best release.

Burial - Antidawn EP - January 6, 2022

The record explores an interzone between dislocated, patchwork songwriting and eerie, open-world, game space ambience. 

In the resulting no man's land, lyrics take precedence over song, lonely phrases colour the haze, a stark and fragmented structure makes time slow down.

Antidawn seems to tell a story of a wintertime city, and something beckoning you to follow it into the night. The result is both comforting and disturbing, producing a quiet and uncanny glow against the cold. Sometimes, as it enters ‘a bad place,’ it takes your breath away. And time just stops.

01 Strange Neighbourhood 
02 Antidawn
03 Shadow Paradise
04 New Love
05 Upstairs Flat

FE8DC018-62E6-4D85-B22E-40F702684449.webp

yeah i still get excited when i see a new release drop - and then remember that they are usually bad.

the above write up doesn't sound too promising - nor does  boomkats:

Burial with his most substantial release in years, over 40 minutes of fizzing seasonal crackle and ultimate wooze.

Practically album length by other standards, the 'Antidawn EP’ plays thru five parts in 44 mins, unravelling a sequence of signature, crackling samples and vaporised soul strokes that play deep into his soundtrack-like collage style. It’s a real one for midwinter consumption, with the capacity for a sort of introspective romance that holds its own without explanation. Ye ye anyone hoping for another Untrue will have to go whistle but, for the diehards, it’s another surefire salve for frayed nerves and burned out heads.

Nose to tail it’s proper central heating for the soul, convecting a palette of pop and film dialogue snippets weft with ephemeral organ vamps and dabs of ‘80s/’90s synths that hazily throw back to frosted lens vibes that were canon to a generation who’ve perhaps slipped into older age by this point, some 16 years since Burial first struck a nerve. ID hounds will have a field day attempting to unpick its constituent parts, but suffice it to say, it’s predictably evocative gear that feels like an extended tease;  you’ll just have to listen till the end to see if those woodblock drums ever make an appearance, we ain’t sayin.

but hey - we could be surprised. could be lush stuff.

Edited by species8472

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/29/2020 at 11:52 PM, thumbass said:

Burial is not that good imo

On 11/30/2020 at 12:08 AM, thumbass said:

Mehh it's not my cup of tea, the hype surrounding this guy is through the roof for how okay his music is

On 12/13/2020 at 11:58 AM, thumbass said:

Been kinda hating on the man but secretly I listen to him a lot.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:57 PM, thumbass said:

Hoping for another Burial Christmas release.

This sequence made me laugh. Better progression than most of his tracks ... jk.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, IDEM said:

This sequence made me laugh. Better progression than most of his tracks ... jk.

Never changed my opinion as much on an artist as burial lool i dont ever remember posting all that

didnt know what i was thinking back in '20