IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

Had no clue about any of this (or elseq!)

My wallet's tellin me no... But My Turntable....

mY TURNTABLE TELLIN ME YEEAASS!!rip wallet

yrGbj0R.png

lol spot on, the eternal wellspring of gonk.

NTS full blast on headphones has been a perfect noise cancelling device for reading on airplanes this last week. A protective cocoon of lush gonk shielding my ears from the noise and general nonsense of fellow passengers

"How far back does this material go?

SB: I think the oldest thing is from 2011. But that was just an archive of the jam that became “bladelores,” which is on Exai [from 2013]. Then there are a couple of things from in between that and elseq 1-5 [from 2016]. The rest is weird recent jams using old patches. But it gets difficult, because the system itself is getting on a bit. It’s about eight years old now. It gets a bit hazy in terms of what’s a musical idea and what’s a piece of technology. If you make a sequencer that only makes one type of sequence, and you’ve used it twice, then I guess you’ve used the same musical idea twice."

This is a great interview, probably the best one for NTS era...

"A lot of your titles have the word “casual” in them. What’s that all about?

RB: Just catalog shelf stuff. Like specimen books all have different sub-categories and sub-sub-categories and sub-sub-sub-categories and then feels and flavors that seem to exhibit similar traits. Maybe they’re just traits, easy for us to earmark with a bit more color than a filename.

SB: They’re more like folder names. It’s fucking real difficult to explain exactly what we mean by them. We know. If Rob says, “I’ve got some more casuals here, do you want them,” I’ll know exactly what he means. But I can’t put into words what it is.

RB: Some of them have got nine of those types of things. There’s a few “idles,” a few “casuals,” a few “heavies.”

Like tags, almost."

GOT ANY CASUALS, M8?  :emotawesomepm9: 

This is a great interview, probably the best one for NTS era...

"A lot of your titles have the word “casual” in them. What’s that all about?

RB: Just catalog shelf stuff. Like specimen books all have different sub-categories and sub-sub-categories and sub-sub-sub-categories and then feels and flavors that seem to exhibit similar traits. Maybe they’re just traits, easy for us to earmark with a bit more color than a filename.

SB: They’re more like folder names. It’s fucking real difficult to explain exactly what we mean by them. We know. If Rob says, “I’ve got some more casuals here, do you want them,” I’ll know exactly what he means. But I can’t put into words what it is.

RB: Some of them have got nine of those types of things. There’s a few “idles,” a few “casuals,” a few “heavies.”

Like tags, almost."

GOT ANY CASUALS, M8?  :emotawesomepm9:

bring them heavies i say!

nice read (the interview part) as always, thanks!!

oooh so one of the tracks is a bladelores jam from 2011, mysterious :P

That's almost certainly "all end", right? 

Lynch is a great example of somebody who appreciates the sophistication of the audience he is working with. He doesn’t patronize his audience. That’s missing from a lot of music out there. One of the things about the internet is that everybody can be very quickly educated on music, but that’s a double-edged sword, because you’ve got a bunch of artists who are desperate to fit in. Everyone’s in a rush to sound the same. At the same time you’ve got this audience who have got access to fucking everything that was ever made, so the audience is actually extremely sophisticated. It’s a weird paradox. You hear a lot of stuff with the same kind of synth lead and the same sucky compression and the same kick drums, the same long chords. It’s incredibly conservative. Then you’ve got this audience who know about Xenakis and Stockhausen and they’re fucking 16-year-olds. I see that as a great opportunity to make things that are genuinely a bit weird.

Am I going to have to watch a David Lynch movie?