IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

nice read (the interview part) as always, thanks!!

oooh so one of the tracks is a bladelores jam from 2011, mysterious :P

That's almost certainly "all end", right? 

Probably? Hard to say for certain of course, it could be something not so obviously tied to bladelores, and all end is a more recent take...who knows unless they're asked specifically. If only there was another AAA session some webmaster could talk the guys into... . .  .  .    .     .     .        .   

Good little interview, seemed a bit short if anything, probably just edited down a ton? I can't imagine the interviewer just talking to them for 15 minutes and asking 4 questions, but maybe that's how it's done. I dunno.

As much shit as we give Pitchfork around here, they deserve getting credit when they do a decent job so:  :catsalute:

i fucking love ae interviews

++

"sucky compression" is a great phrase

“I’ve got some more casuals here, do you want them” FLOL

I wouldn’t want to deal with making software. I’m not sure I could satisfy that many people. I’m not a particularly good programmer. Our system is great for making Autechre tracks, but I’m not sure if everybody else wants to do that. And if they do, I’m not sure I want them to.

Okay, fair enough. Just wanna know if they have a testament and if they wanna release their code after their death

Probably? Hard to say for certain of course, it could be something not so obviously tied to bladelores, and all end is a more recent take...who knows unless they're asked specifically. If only there was another AAA session some webmaster could talk the guys into... . . . . . . . .

Good little interview, seemed a bit short if anything, probably just edited down a ton? I can't imagine the interviewer just talking to them for 15 minutes and asking 4 questions, but maybe that's how it's done. I dunno.

As much shit as we give Pitchfork around here, they deserve getting credit when they do a decent job so: :catsalute:

Yeah definitely seemed short, usually I feel like these p4k features run super long. But there’s something to be said for being concise. Pretty much every sentence has interesting/valuable info.

Lynch is a great example of somebody who appreciates the sophistication of the audience he is working with. He doesn’t patronize his audience. That’s missing from a lot of music out there. One of the things about the internet is that everybody can be very quickly educated on music, but that’s a double-edged sword, because you’ve got a bunch of artists who are desperate to fit in. Everyone’s in a rush to sound the same. At the same time you’ve got this audience who have got access to fucking everything that was ever made, so the audience is actually extremely sophisticated. It’s a weird paradox. You hear a lot of stuff with the same kind of synth lead and the same sucky compression and the same kick drums, the same long chords. It’s incredibly conservative. Then you’ve got this audience who know about Xenakis and Stockhausen and they’re fucking 16-year-olds. I see that as a great opportunity to make things that are genuinely a bit weird.

Am I going to have to watch a David Lynch movie?

Are the one WATMMer into AE but not seen a David Lynch film and/or Twin Peaks?

Probably? Hard to say for certain of course, it could be something not so obviously tied to bladelores, and all end is a more recent take...who knows unless they're asked specifically. If only there was another AAA session some webmaster could talk the guys into... . .  .  .    .     .     .        .   

As much shit as we give Pitchfork around here, they deserve getting credit when they do a decent job so:  :catsalute:

I bet it's way, way cut down. Anyway Philip Sherburne is a great writer and longtime electronic music journalist/fan/etc. - he's been back at p4k for awhile as a contributor. Been writing for them on/off since 2005 but was writing for The Wire and elsewhere years before that. Up there with Simon Reynolds in terms of expertise and sincerity. Used to focus on house, techno, European club stuff but he handles a lot of their electronic music reviews and interviews now. He coined the term microhouse and holy shit that was 15+ years ago and I am getting old

On unedited jamming:

the tracks were put together and edited with that in mind. We spent ages sequencing it. We were going back in and re-editing bits to fit various sections.

Edited by Chabraendeky

Yes. (/ending of splesh)

Lynch is a great example of somebody who appreciates the sophistication of the audience he is working with. He doesn’t patronize his audience. That’s missing from a lot of music out there. One of the things about the internet is that everybody can be very quickly educated on music, but that’s a double-edged sword, because you’ve got a bunch of artists who are desperate to fit in. Everyone’s in a rush to sound the same. At the same time you’ve got this audience who have got access to fucking everything that was ever made, so the audience is actually extremely sophisticated. It’s a weird paradox. You hear a lot of stuff with the same kind of synth lead and the same sucky compression and the same kick drums, the same long chords. It’s incredibly conservative. Then you’ve got this audience who know about Xenakis and Stockhausen and they’re fucking 16-year-olds. I see that as a great opportunity to make things that are genuinely a bit weird.

what the hell?

giphy.gif

went out drinking with one of my best mates who doesn't like electronic music

got home and played him the first track of nts session 2 and it made him puke like a whole bucket full

then i made him sniff from a bottle of poppers on marcus schmickler and i almost had to burry his corpse in my yard

good shit!

Seen a measly two David Lynch movies but I don't think they were the right ones to be honest.

Am also shit at watching tv series, it's extremely rare for me to catch more than a couple of episodes of anything.

Always had a feeling I might like, e.g., Mulholland Drive, but never checked. I don't know, maybe it's time.

Seen a measly two David Lynch movies but I don't think they were the right ones to be honest.

Am also shit at watching tv series, it's extremely rare for me to catch more than a couple of episodes of anything.

Always had a feeling I might like, e.g., Mulholland Drive, but never checked. I don't know, maybe it's time.

Eraserhead is still the best imo but MD is widely considered a post 2k classic for a reason. Do it! (Sean once explicitly mentioned his affection for Inland Empire (AAA) but i'd save that one for laters once you got into the mode... I found it rather tedious tbqh)

went out drinking with one of my best mates who doesn't like electronic music

got home and played him the first track of nts session 2 and it made him puke like a whole bucket full

then i made him sniff from a bottle of poppers on marcus schmickler and i almost had to burry his corpse in my yard

good shit!

lol ... Palace of marvels?

Edited by jaderpansen

Eraserhead is still the best imo but MD is widely considered a post 2k classic for a reason. Do it! (Sean once explicitly mentioned his affection for Inland Empire (AAA) but i'd save that one for laters once you got into the mode... I found it rather tedious tbqh)

Seen a lot of Lynch and Eraserhead still goes over my head. Lost Highway -> Mulholland Drive -> INLAND EMPIRE are pretty much three sides of the same Lynch coin (and the more I watch them the more parallels there appear to be), love them all....

Lost Highway -> Mulholland Drive -> INLAND EMPIRE are pretty much three sides of the same Lynch coin [...]

yeah those definitely share a similar theme (identity crises) and to a lesser extent visual aesthetics / narrative structuring.

I must confess I'm not a great fan of Lynch. I have the impression that he has learned some "strategies" to create a dreamlike, surrealist atmosphere (based essentially on paradoxical coincidences), on which he has built a stylistic code that I feel to be a little "smart". Maybe I'm wrong, but this is what I feel, especially after reading "catching the big fish", a book with poor contents up to the alarming: with aphorisms and metaphors as an American preacher, Lynch tries to "convert" the reader to a pretentious spirituality (in this case transcendental meditation), which has as its purpose "the economical success". A literary catastrophe of such great proportions that I have had the suspect that it is in fact a provocation, or a very courageous act: the intellectual suicide.

That said, I highly recommend one of Lynch's early feature films: The Grandmother.
Dark and perturbing, where innocence produces sweet and oedipal monsters, in a primitive world made of violent and ontological archetypes.
I saw it the first time as a boy, without knowing it was Lynch, and I thought it was some dark work from the eastern europe countries, a sort of psychotic colleague of Jan Svankmajer: imagine the disappointment when I find Lynch's signature.
For me, it remains a very penetrating work: