IGNORED

The Coffee Thread™

Candiru

anyone use a v60?

I do, and I think someone else said they do as well.  I recommend it!  It takes a little getting used to, but once you know how to finesse it, it's fantastic.  I would recommend spending some extra money on getting a good burr grinder if you don't have one already.  Baratza's Encore is a good place to start.

Fuck yes!

43 grams of coffee to 2,3 litres of water doesn't seem like a whole lot though?

It's 43g of Chicory Root + 1lb of coffee

o_O

I'm just gonna ahead and make some iced coffee in my Arctic Cold Brewer then ;)

anyone use a v60?

Yes, with a Buono kettle too, which fucking rules - I can't imagine using anything else. Got a nice burr grinder too, that was by far the most expensive part of my rig.

Always black, with the lightest roast I can find. I've got a go-to local roast that I drink 90% of the time. Life is good.

love this thread. For the last 7 years I worked for a roaster (Ritual) in San Francisco and then managed a restaurant/cafe in berkeley and got the point where i wouldn't drink my morning cup until i had tested 3 cups made in a V60 with a refractometer/taste to test the extraction...only then would i drink one of them. even more work went into pulling espresso shots. For anyone who wants to learn more about coffee look up Ben Kaminsky. He taught me everything i know about coffee. We used to go grocery shopping for fruits and nuts and chocolate and set up "cuppings" of newly rested coffees... beautiful. can be like wine.

now: i have a baby, night school, no money to play with, pump any sludge down my throat. 

love this thread. For the last 7 years I worked for a roaster (Ritual) in San Francisco and then managed a restaurant/cafe in berkeley and got the point where i wouldn't drink my morning cup until i had tested 3 cups made in a V60 with a refractometer/taste to test the extraction...only then would i drink one of them. even more work went into pulling espresso shots. For anyone who wants to learn more about coffee look up Ben Kaminsky. He taught me everything i know about coffee. We used to go grocery shopping for fruits and nuts and chocolate and set up "cuppings" of newly rested coffees... beautiful. can be like wine.

now: i have a baby, night school, no money to play with, pump any sludge down my throat. 

Oh damn, I went to Ritual Coffee (especially the one in Hayes Valley) a bunch of times when I visited SF a couple of years ago. It was the best!

Going to confess here that I go full on normie for starbucks, have the app and all. I go to local coffee shops when I can but lately I work through lunch and get stuff on the go. Our part of town is pretty devoid of local coffeehouses, mostly a sea of gas station c-stores, so starbucks is the only thing on the way to work. I indulged this morning. My toddler got a cake pop. Suburban Friday.

^I'm signed on right now using Starbucks Wifi, waiting on a white chocolate mocha. Also I was totally listening to pop music on the way here. No shame. Nothing wrong with being normies (occasionally), imo.

edit: just the end of a sentence from a barista: "...well the clones were all from Jango Fett, so."

Edited by auxien

i spent a lot of time in starbucks using their wifi during periods of homelessness. would rarely drink the coffee because no $$$ but i would eat their sugar packets sometimes

Edited by Cryptowen

I've tried a few cups brewed from their clover machine and it was kind of good actually. Stronger than usual, very good flavor. But only get 12oz or you will shit immediately. 

The iced blonde americano from sbux, when it’s good, it’s really good. Starbucks sugar packets comment is the deepest thing I’ve heard in a while Owen. It really is a waystation for the downtrodden. A lot of homeless white people in Oregon, and you know what they buy when they save up enough cash? A trenta iced caramel macchiato. You know why? Best cost to calorie ratio out there, available on every corner!

Also, the v60 comments are bogus. You could make world class coffee in an oil funnel as long as you have a good filter. The shape or heat conductivity of the filter holder don’t mean a thing.

The barista coolness factor is null these days. There are so few people that actually have a brain for coffee. Most of them just want a job that allows employees to have a tattoo on their forearm that says “I eat ass.” And they care much more about latte art than they do about not burning a shot of espresso, and then they stretch said shot way to far into 15 oz of water for my iced americano.

Drinking over concentrated, skunked cold brew from blue bottle is truly hilarious. Basically, thirdwave is completely over and the coffee waters are stagnant bathwater again. You really have to look hard to find coffee that justifies going out. There’s like one place in my city that can pull a good shot consistently.

When I was in Tokyo, I did find one place that blew me away again. But for the most part I enjoy coffee at home, made on any of the myriad devices I have acquired over the years. My most recent addition is a mr coffee from Costco, $24.99, and I like to brew Lavazza Oro or McCafe on it, but it can do justice to a fresh bag of Ardi, though I prefer a low temp Chemex for Ethiopian, or better yet, an overnight French press cold brew poured through a Chemex filter to turn it into pure floral berry rainbow gold.

I have a Delonghi KG49 grinder. I think it does a great job and definitely prefer it over the Hario hand grinder.

As for brewing, sometime you want moka, sometimes cafetiere sometimes filter or pour over.

I would like to get a steam pump espresso machine at some stage.

Beans, I don't really know what I like best. I tend to go for something that was locally roasted, they seem to taste better. But their packaging tends for it not to last as long.

Right now I have a 1kg bag of whole beans from India. It's nice.

Edited by chassis