IGNORED

New act signed to Warp: Jockstrap

thumbass

4 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

This song is pretty interesting.

Warp wants to make money with bands/artists who are going to appeal to a wider audience but also have a foot planted in the leftfield.  This is that.  It'll be reviewed favourably on Pitchfork.

The name's terrible, but the music's way better than this this thread makes it out to be - watmm is of course consistent.

What’s leftfield in this ? Please explain ? Serious question.

6 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

meh

My thoughts exactly. 

It's not terrible. It's not what I consider (should be) WARP quality signing. Belongs on thrilljockey or something I don't know.

Edit: but that's just me projecting my expectations on a label that used to be forward thinking.

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

14 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

My thoughts exactly. 

It's not terrible. It's not what I consider (should be) WARP quality signing. Belongs on thrilljockey or something I don't know.

I don't think Warp quality is a thing anymore in terms of new talent. The majority of what Warp releases shifted forever ago into music I'm just not into. But of course there is the occasional (newer) amazing artist like OPN that make the label still worth shifting through. Also all of the legacy artists that are great.

edit: then yeah we have similar opinions. I'm at the point where I don't really expect to be Wowed by new Warp artists. It's a genuine surprise when I am.

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

edit: then yeah we have similar opinions. I'm at the point where I don't really expect to be Wowed by new Warp artists. It's a genuine surprise when I am.

Yep! ?

4 hours ago, d-a-m-o said:

What’s leftfield in this ? Please explain ? Serious question.

Pretty much every aspect of the production and songwriting on that Charlotte song is quite leftfield.  Nothing conventional in that one.  Then they have other songs that follow a more traditional melodic/production/song structure, but still incorporate small doses of those leftfield elements.  It's the blend of those things that make them a logical addition to the current Warp roster.

Hmmmm, i don't know. I kinda like it, but it shouldn't be on warp. There are other good labels for that kind of stuff. But maybe that's just narrow minded of me. Maybe warp should open a more IDM dank version of itself and call it wrep and release the really hardcore idm stuff on that or the other way round.

Anyways, i actually currently have more a problem with stuff like that:

https://bleep.com/release/156700-michael-fakesch-marion

I mean, wtf funkstörung, y u no do this anymore. :cattears:I bought your last album to support, but in retrospect, i hate it, especially and even more when i listen to re releases like that. And i didn't even knew the original release in 99, the material is new to me and still sounds so fucking awesome in my ears after all these years.

Moooooaaar...

32 minutes ago, dr lopez said:
18 hours ago, Freak of the week said:

lol

lol

lol

27 minutes ago, ambergonk said:
32 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

lol

lol

lol

22 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:
28 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

lol

lol

lol

3 minutes ago, Gocab said:
22 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

lol

lol

lol

21 minutes ago, darreichungsform said:
54 minutes ago, dr lopez said:
18 hours ago, Freak of the week said:

lol

lol

lol

49 minutes ago, ambergonk said:
54 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

lol

lol

lol

44 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:
49 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

lol

lol

lol

25 minutes ago, Gocab said:
44 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

lol

lol

lol

lol

5 hours ago, MIXL2 said:
6 hours ago, darreichungsform said:
6 hours ago, dr lopez said:
On 2/5/2020 at 10:32 PM, Freak of the week said:

lol

lol

lol

6 hours ago, ambergonk said:
6 hours ago, dr lopez said:

lol

lol

lol

6 hours ago, d-a-m-o said:
6 hours ago, ambergonk said:

lol

lol

lol

6 hours ago, Gocab said:
6 hours ago, d-a-m-o said:

lol

lol

lol

lol

lol

On 2/4/2020 at 8:40 AM, thumbass said:

Don't know anything about these people other than that they are now signed to Warp records.

They released a single:

Sounds like classic doo-wop with modern production techniques and mixed with the aesthetic of The Books or something.