People aren't going to be smoking huge blunts to combat COVID, but CBD might have some potential. Note that this study is a pre-print and the sample size is small: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7987002/

Given that CBD preparations containing substantial amounts of CBD are taken by a large number of individuals, we examined whether CBD exposure might correlate to a decreased risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Analysis of over 93,000 patients tested for SARS-CoV-2 at the University of Chicago Medical Center showed that 10.0% tested positive overall, but only 5.7% of the ~400 who had any cannabinoid in their medical record tested positive (Fig. 6). Patients taking CBD versus other cannabinoids had an even lower rate of testing positive (1.2% in 85 CBD patients versus 7.1% in 113 patients taking other cannabinoids, p=0.08). This finding that patients taking other cannabinoids had less protection against viral infection is consistent with our cell culture studies. Since multiple potential confounding factors could explain these findings, including age, race, clinical morbidities, and sex, we matched 82 patients who were prescribed oral, FDA-approved CBD (Epidiolex®) before COVID-19 testing to patients who had no indication of taking any cannabinoids but had comparable other characteristics including similar demographic characteristics, clinical comorbidities, and records of other medications in the two years before COVID-19 testing (table S1). Of the patients prescribed oral CBD before their COVID-19 test, the most common morbidity categories were hypertension and conditions with immunosuppression. Strikingly, only 1.2% of the patients prescribed CBD contracted SARS-CoV-2 whereas 12.2% of the matched, non-cannabinoid patients tested positive (p=0.009), suggesting a potential reduction in SARS-CoV-2 infection risk of approximately an order of magnitude.

1 hour ago, chenGOD said:

People aren't going to be smoking huge blunts to combat COVID, but CBD might have some potential. Note that this study is a pre-print and the sample size is small: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7987002/

pfizer invested heavily in medical cannabis in december 2021.  anyway... i guess edibles might work against preventing covid but it's heavily dependent on proper preparation with right temperature. i guess heat wrecks the part of the canabanoid that prevents the covid spikey thing from being effective

20 minutes ago, ignatius said:

pfizer invested heavily in medical cannabis in december 2021.  anyway... i guess edibles might work against preventing covid but it's heavily dependent on proper preparation with right temperature. i guess heat wrecks the part of the canabanoid that prevents the covid spikey thing from being effective

Yes I think the preparation is of course extremely important - but I guess for CBD at least, there is already a large amount of industry that can perform this at relatively low cost. I think it is slightly more difficult for the two cannabinoid acids as described in this paper: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acs.jnatprod.1c00946, both of which are different from CBD. I think we need @Audioblysk to give us a chemistry primer, or maybe @xxx?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ignatius said:

does the hair fight or fuck in this manga? 

it enters people's brains through the ear canal and acts like a brain parasite, making them shitpost on social media. the guy who invented Qanon took some inspiration from this.

7 minutes ago, usagi said:

it enters people's brains through the ear canal and acts like a brain parasite, making them shitpost on social media. the guy who invented Qanon took some inspiration from this.

exactly man. have you been living under a rock?

19 minutes ago, usagi said:

well, i don't want to read it then. 

26 minutes ago, usagi said:

it enters people's brains through the ear canal and acts like a brain parasite

Flashback to  8 y.o. bobdob watching Star Trek 2: the Wrath of Khan for the 1st time

Thank ? :emotawesomepm9:

24 minutes ago, BobDobalina said:

Flashback to  8 y.o. bobdob watching Star Trek 2: the Wrath of Khan for the 1st time

Thank ? :emotawesomepm9:

"No sneeze guard on the salad bar Kirk... "

Omicron seems kind of alright? Numbers keep rising over here, but barely anyone gets hospitalized. I'm beginning to think this'll be the end of it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Silent Member said:

Omicron seems kind of alright? Numbers keep rising over here, but barely anyone gets hospitalized. I'm beginning to think this'll be the end of it.

hope you're right man. seems like everyone around here is getting sick, but mostly with mild cold/flu symptoms. staffing shortages are a noticeable issue with this wave. grocery store shelves are taking a hit, my kids school got cancelled today due to not enough staff.

8 hours ago, Silent Member said:

It’s still affecting/hospitalizing unvaccinated people at a much higher rate than the vaxxed . The longer people refuse to take measures to stop the spread such as masking and vaccinations the more likely the disease will continue to mutate into new variants. We are lucky that omicron isn’t more deadly (especially to the vaccinated) but there is nothing to suggest that a new mutation will be more contagious and more deadly. Additionally, delta is still out there, even though it is no longer the dominant strain. It’s also very likely that newer, undetected variants are already spreading. Obviously, this is more worrisome in parts of the world that have less access to vaccines. 

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 3

On 12/30/2021 at 8:27 PM, thefxbip said:

Mom still unvaccinated. Tried to convince her. Cant talk her out of her BS anti vaxx mindset.

mine just told me she has covid. mild symptoms and doing better now. the good news is she's in quarantine. at least she has half a brain lol (sorry mom).

• Like 2

unvaxx'd, old people and people w/complex healthcare stuff still at risk and will be for some time. 

on NPR a while ago they interviewed some doctors/researchers tracking omicron in Boston, massivetwoshits and they said what is happening is very much like in south africa.. omicron spreading very rapidly then collapsing. this will happen in different places at different times but there in new england it's beginning to collapse. because it's less lethal.. still hospitalizations are spiking just because of the number of cases being so high and the system is beyond strained but that's starting to change. also, he said it's spreading mostly in the 20-40 age range. 

still, you don't wan to get it. it's a roll of the dice how a person's system will deal w/it and if there will be long covid or some lasting damage from the disease. 

still, promising news in some ways. the doctor said when they got the latest data and went through it see what was happening that he actually punched the air in excitement because it was pretty good news.