the bronsan bonds still had some of that campy ridiculousness that needs to be in a bond movie for it to be a bond movie, yes they were pretty shit, but the daniel craig movies have had little of that, far too serious, little effort to encapsulate the essence of bond.

Tree of Life. First Malick I've watched. Pretty blown away. Beautiful film.

Go rinse your eyes out with a dose of Days of Heaven, makes every other Americana film curl up like a wounded animal and howl.

Hitchcock's Rebecca - Lawrence Olivier snakes his oil hips towards an easy target then lets her into his shallow existence. You can almost see his slippery tongue and gaze into her eyes in every scene. Tells you more about the character of anglophiles than a thousand period dramas played by thespians. Bloody A and fires/10.

i tried watching Tree of Life but as soon as the kid 'grows up' and Sean Penn is walking around in the painted dessert, things started to get super fucking cheesy art-fag to the point where I almost felt like I was watching a mid-90s Enigma chillout video on MTV. Parts of it were definitely good.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

i tried watching Tree of Life but as soon as the kid 'grows up' and Sean Penn is walking around in the painted dessert, things started to get super fucking cheesy art-fag to the point where I almost felt like I was watching a mid-90s Enigma chillout video on MTV. Parts of it were definitely good.

lol that's harsh but pretty much what I remember too. Gotta give it another watch though, I didn't know what I was getting into when I first watched it

Have to agree with you on the ethereal beach scenes. Almost feels like a christian message at the end, makes me cringe

It felt to me like a christian message all the way through.

But I think the main problem of Tree Of Life is its self-absorbent innocence. People can't really connect with it because we have demons inside and know that the world isn't B&W, which this movie kind of is. Well, let's be fair, the whole movie is about letting go of a memory of a dead brother, but this is so heightened and made sacred that you can't really "get" it if you're not Terrence Malick. A very high-budget meditation on something very personal. Kind of ignorant if you ask me but it also had some really beautiful moments which kiiind of make up for it.

But I think the main problem of Tree Of Life is its self-absorbent innocence. People can't really connect with it because we have demons inside and know that the world isn't B&W, which this movie kind of is. Well, let's be fair, the whole movie is about letting go of a memory of a dead brother, but this is so heightened and made sacred that you can't really "get" it if you're not Terrence Malick. A very high-budget meditation on something very personal. Kind of ignorant if you ask me but it also had some really beautiful moments which kiiind of make up for it.

was gonna say, it dwelt on christian themes all the way through.

I'm confused though, what exactly was B&W in this film?

was gonna say, it dwelt on christian themes all the way through.

I'm confused though, what exactly was B&W in this film?

Well if I remember correctly, it even started with a monologue about people being either of nature or of grace. And the whole dynamics of the family were father-merciless/mother-merciful. And every event that occurred to the young boys had either a good meaning or bad meaning for them. I agree, the movie had human qualities and it struck a chord with me too, but I were to rationalise, this would be my perception of it

About The Lonely Island... I thought Hot Rod was pretty good. Subtle, but sometimes I laughed really fucking hard. But then again, I sometimes do like well done juvenile shit.

Hot Rod was so great. Everyone hated it so much but damn was it great.

About The Lonely Island... I thought Hot Rod was pretty good. Subtle, but sometimes I laughed really fucking hard. But then again, I sometimes do like well done juvenile shit.

I love Hot Rod.

inside out - an admirable pixar/disney product. it's all very painstakingly constructed as expected, there's not a wasted moment, no missteps, not a minute without something clever and even profound going on, though always covered by a couple of layers of disney's ultrasweet syrop. with that said it's just painfully artless and too calculated (you can really imagine writers and producers ticking boxes - colorful and suitable for kids, some clever but not too clever jokes for teens, some more complex themes for parents, right dosage of sad and fun things happening and so on).

it's kinda interesting how a film about emotions can be so emotionally stunted, all emotional expressions ends with the expressions of those fun but ultimately reductionist characters. a lot of it kinda reminded me of how 5-point likert scales are used in questions related to moods or feelings, so you get this 5^5 matrix of possible emotional states, it's very analytical and probably useful in sciences, but as a film for kids? i dunno. it pumps some positive messages in a neat manner so maybe it's ok and really what it's going for after all. but i dunno, it's incomparable to something like "hedgehog in the fog" in how emotionally affecting the latter is.

i actually dug hot rod, i thought it was probably the funniest thing he's ever acted in outside of SNL

i actually dug hot rod, i thought it was probably the funniest thing he's ever acted in outside of SNL

Sidenote: I've watched it ~10 times.