Picnic at hanging rock

Was expecting a lil' more than I got from this, but perhaps thats more my problem than the films - much respect to it, but just didn't hit me in the right spot

maybe a rewatch sometime/10

def worth a rewatch

it has an ethereal, shimmering quality that almost goes against the extreme heat of the location, one of my favourite psychological dramas/horrors

recommended is another crackin Oz-fest from Down Under.... "Wake in Fright",,,,, Donald Pleasence (sp?) does weirdness/the power of odd as only he could:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067541/

BTs054f.jpg

RIP Angus Scrimm AKA The Tall Man from Phantasm. Maybe now they will finally finish Phantasm V, which has been in post-production for 2 years now. Phantasm I is currently undergoing a 4K restoration at the behest of JJ Abrams.

http://movieweb.com/angus-scrimm-dead-rip-phantasm-tall-man/

Stuart Gordon's Dreams in the Witchhouse - Gordon continues his one man mission to spread the word of Lovecraft. Part of the Masters of Horror series. It features a rat with human face which is more allegorical than I can imagine.

Edited by Echolalia

cure (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123948) - a most excellent lynchian headfuck psych-thriller, i loved how it made japan look all eastern european, decayed and depressing. the sound design and the camerawork are very impressive too. i couldn't make any sense of it but it was very engrossing.

This thread is great for entering a random page number then finding a recommended film. This film is on youtube (HDRIP) and is about to be watched. Thanks for the recommendation.

Awesome film.

Also just saw Villenueve's Enemy which was a companion piece to that Lovecraft film in so many ways. Made me feel so perverse and the ending is more Lovecraftian than the Gordon one. What is missing from that Gordon adaptation? I really enjoyed Dagon too.

There's a bit in the story where he astrally projects. Floats through a cyclopian void being guided by two geometric shapes (the witch and her familiar) and ends up standing on a balcony on the planet the Great Old Ones (from Mountains of Madness) are from.

Sisters - this shit was a mess. It tried to be a raunchy party movie with the 2000s SNL cast, then veered off into emotional redemption in the 3rd act, and then tacked on a Christmas ending because it got pushed back til December release. Wasted comedic potential. John Leguizamo still playing the 25 year old stoner when he's 51 is part funny/part sad. He did the same thing in American Ultra.

Laser Mision

Just what i expected and more - hits a satisfying spot inside you that much else cannot. So bad it's good.

Brandon Lee's high waist line/10

recommended is another crackin Oz-fest from Down Under.... "Wake in Fright",,,,, Donald Pleasence (sp?) does weirdness/the power of odd as only he could:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067541/

Aw yee - Wake in Fright is a gem! Anyone who hasn't seen it yet, get on it!

Been watching the Hateful Eight this week end, found it great, yet a little too long for tastes. I know Tarantino is all about rhythm in his films, but this one is a bit of a hit and miss rhythm-wise to me.

Anyway, the actors are all amazing and the dialogs are pure gold. Imo it's Tarantino paying hommage not to western movies or whatever but to comedy (dark and twisted comedy but comedy whatsoever)

Been watching the Hateful Eight this week end, found it great, yet a little too long for tastes. I know Tarantino is all about rhythm in his films, but this one is a bit of a hit and miss rhythm-wise to me.

Anyway, the actors are all amazing and the dialogs are pure gold. Imo it's Tarantino paying hommage not to western movies or whatever but to comedy (dark and twisted comedy but comedy whatsoever)

Went to watch it yesterday and I thought the pacing was spot on, better than Django or the Basterds. The finale of course is classic Tarantino, for better or for worse, but I came away thinking it's the best movie he's done in a long while if not ever.

hateful 8/10. thought it was great. seemed pretty long but I think it's because it was all in 1 room. the movie was basically a 45 minute set up and 2 hour version of the Resovoir dogs ending.

black mass. pretty boring. really boring. but Johnny depp was incredible. 5/10

Edited by jules