in keeping with the theme of disturbed anti-heroes, I rewatched Taxi Driver and then watched You Were Never Really Here for the first time. good run, mane.

I recommend watching the film that Taxi Driver is loosely based on, Robert Bresson's "Pickpocket" (Paul Schrader has openly cited Pickpocket as a main influence). It's very different in tone but an absolutely brilliant film. My 2nd favorite adaptation of Crime and Punishment (Norte: The End of History is my favorite).

on my radar, cheers.

Mississippi Grind - Mildy sad and mildly funny. I really enjoyed this. I'm almost certain my weary low-key hangover helped tbh.

Also watched this film about Francis Bacon. At first I thought I wasn't going to make the whole 80 minutes but found it strangely (and a bit creepily) fascinating.

Edited by beerwolf

free soloing is the most ridiculous thing i can imagine. i only recently learnt that they will practice the run with ropes multiple times to get their handholds and shit, but seriously. there is an unbridgable and vast gap between my level of consciousness, and the brain of a human who wants to be hanging off a lump of rock with no ropes 250 metres above the ground level, with another 100 metres to go. 

it actually makes any level of musical genius look like peanuts when you consider the concept of consequences to failure. 

Stepfather 1987

can there be a better horror film?

the blob (1988) or the video dead (1987)? btw: you know that film was inspired by the john list murders which was documented heavily.

very excited about this film (coming soon)

https://youtu.be/Hi69nL_VrTE

OK. So I watched Wolf Of Wall Street again for the first time since seeing it in the theater and if someone asked me right now to name the best comedy OF ALL TIME, I'd have to say The Wolf of fucking Wall Street. 

510ihgsRs0L.jpg

another great film by the master of cinema: lloyd simandl. this time he documents elizabeth bathroy's life up to the point where we pretty much get to witness her sex life- for the entire film. first 15min is breathtaking andrea nemcova in a bathtub rubbing her boobs. after that 2 other ladies enter the bathtub and she touches their boobs. then they touch her boobs. then she instructs them to pour blood into the bathtub (which they do), so she can masturbates. 

this scenario happens a lot, in different locations and different ladies (except andrea who is in pretty much 97% of the film)- obviously an indication of how the real countess lived her life.

this film was incredibly accurate that i felt the director had focused too much on being real rather than making up stuff. 

seven out of ten

ostatnie-rekinado-zab-czasu-the-last-sha

this was really stupid. nothing about it was funny, fun or interesting. just overly-the-top stupid which is the point, but that doesn't even equal so-bad-it's good

ostatnie-rekinado-zab-czasu-the-last-sha

this was really stupid. nothing about it was funny, fun or interesting. just overly-the-top stupid which is the point, but that doesn't even equal so-bad-it's good

Those special effects though. Somebody just got their after effects degree.

the rover

this was very impressive. pearce gives his strongest performance, all simmering ptsd and rage until it finally boils over in the last scenes into something redemptive and cathartic. but it's so incredibly nuanced. pattinson is a bit more over the top, sputtering out his lines, twitching, somewhere between disabled and maybe a little mentally ill, but he still drew a lot of sympathy. the movie exists in everything not said, but its minimalism isn't a put on because of how strong the performances are. a viewer doesn't need any explanation of what has happened in this society because it could easily take place in africa or southeast asia today. the point is these people are all victims of their circumstances, and pearce, while a self admitted murderer, seems to be shouldering a metaphorical burden for everyone else in the movie. i was extremely moved by his last scene with pattinson, when he starts to well up in front of the old man, finding release in his empty gaze. 

BlacKKKlansman - enjoyed this one, Spike Lee's most socially relevant film in years. Good acting all around, some humorous moments, and some striking imagery, especially in the epilogue.