Also I forgot how beautiful that Glass composition was, especially with those analog synths.

I always thought it was DX7? Could be wrong. Yeah tho nice score.

Turns out Yamaha didn't start producing the DX7s until the year after the movie came out. But I could swear there was some Moog and ARP 2600 in there, maybe even one of those old modulars.

Also I forgot how beautiful that Glass composition was, especially with those analog synths.

I always thought it was DX7? Could be wrong. Yeah tho nice score.

Turns out Yamaha didn't start producing the DX7s until the year after the movie came out. But I could swear there was some Moog and ARP 2600 in there, maybe even one of those old modulars.

Oh wow, I had no idea. Yeah I wonder what it was.

you can read about the synths the Philip Glass Ensemble has used here:

https://www.plogue.com/philipglassensemble/#more-6581

During the koyaanisqatsi era I imagine most of the heavy lifting was being done with the Yamaha organ and the Prophet (specifically bc it could save patches and they were a touring band).

Is The Disaster Artist any good? All the praise I'm reading seems to come from fans of The Room who tried really hard to convince themselves the movie was going to be great

It's good, had the pleasure of seeing it at the Prince Charles Cinema at London. It's more of a fan homage to it than a gritty biopic. It definitely feels like Franco inviting all of his comedy buddies to make a movie about another movie they love. I haven't read the book but apparently Wiseau is painted really badly in it, in the film he's just a lovable weirdo for the most part, probably because he had to sign off on the script. Franco nails the role, which isn't easy, but the general plot is a bit weird and outside of the actual Room filming scenes the comedy is a bit hit and miss.

Unless you're a super fan of the movie you probably won't get much out of it, but if you are, it's worth seeing.

Is The Disaster Artist any good? All the praise I'm reading seems to come from fans of The Room who tried really hard to convince themselves the movie was going to be great

So... it's ok. There were scenes that were genuinely hilarious. I honestly hope that Greg Sestero's description of Tommy Wiseau on-set is 100% true, because some of those scenes in The Disaster Artist are so toe-curling. James Franco does a good job as Tommy Wiseau. There was only one scene where I felt like the real James Franco seeped through all the make-up and otherwise great acting. I feel kinda weird about James Franco hiring his brother to play Greg Sestero though. Especially because their gestures and facial expressions are so identical.

Anyway, I think this movie is a proper way to close the book on The Room. Like, REALLY close it, tie it up, and bury it in the ground. And what I mean with that is, that it was a movie made by someone who seriously thought he was going to make a fantastic movie that would become a huge success. He even sent it in to the academy hoping for a nomination. The movie was a huge failure, which then became popular for all the wrong reasons. Tommy Wiseau backtracked on his initial remarks and said it was a comedy, and now someone has made a comedy about the horrible production, which has already been nominated for a bunch of Golden Globes and will probably end up being nominated for a couple of Oscars. So all of this has now made The Room even more popular and even more profitable so in the end Tommy Wiseau got exactly what he wanted but for all the wrong reasons. So I'm wondering how this actually makes Tommy Wiseau feel because I honestly can't figure out if he's enjoying the spotlight or is simply there to make money. I know he has travelled around the world screening The Room so he must be enjoying it to some degree. But it really makes me feel weird that this guy made something he thought would be amazing, only to see people laugh at it. And while everyone was pointing fingers and laughing at it, he quietly snuck up behind them and started laughing with them.

For some reason this makes me feel weird inside. Like, this is either the longest con ever or one really sad story which made the crying clown rich.

I've read the book and Wiseau isn't portrayed badly at all. I don't really see the point in the film.

Oh, really!? Damn...

I've read the book and Wiseau isn't portrayed badly at all. I don't really see the point in the film.

Ah really? Might just be in contrast to the film, I watched the RLM review of it and they mentioned the book puts him in a worse light and I've seen comments about him being a megalomaniac on set... the film touches on it but makes it look more like a sort of eccentric mania than malicious intent. Kind of ties in to the slightly odd plot.

Specifically that Greg doesn't have much motivation to go along with the film and stick with it despite better offers, other than Tommy being his friend. According to the book apparently Tommy just offered him loads of money.

But yeah he still tours around it seems, he's back at the Prince Charles with Greg in February.

I picked up the book after seeing TDA in the cinema a week before xmas. He's a yuge cunt in the book.

Also, as is alluded to in the RLM review or commentary, it's quite possible Tommy was also paying Sestero for sex.

I picked up the book after seeing TDA in the cinema a week before xmas. He's a yuge cunt in the book.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but I felt he was sympathetic to Tommy. He had his moments on set but when Sestero hints towards his past and how Tommy has tried to reinvent himself in America I thought it was in a positive light. I've not read the book in about 4 years.

He probably had to let Tommy agree to sign off on it. So yeah, at the very end there's this sympathetic portrait of Tommy that explains why he is like he is.

But the rest of the book before that shows that what he is is a weird, clingy, possessive, jealous, passive aggressive stalker weirdo who holds power over sestero using his apartment in LA and his bank account.

should i see the new star wars with my dad to make him happy, even though i didnt enjoy the last 2 star wars movies? i dont really want to but if someone convinces me i might kind of enjoy it then i will

Edited by very honest

should i see the new star wars with my dad to make him happy, even though i didnt enjoy the last 2 star wars movies? i dont really want to but if someone convinces me i might kind of enjoy it then i will

Although I'm not actually a Star Wars fan, I ended up seeing Ep. VIII yesterday and I think I liked it more than VII. Should you choose to go see it though, prepare for a nearly 3-hour show.

Do it for daddy.

Of course you should. For your dad.

watched barry lyndon for the first time in like fifteen years. what a film. get the criterion blu ray if you still buy that sort of thing, the transfer restores the correct aspect ratio and it really does look beautiful, especially the candle lit scenes. might be kubrick's greatest.