I'm going to probably listen to this offline for days and maybe over a week over and over again as if I'm my late 90s / early 00s teenage self again for full effect. Still not heard the leak.

how is it not a concept album, what with all the backstory and hype that lead up to it?

maybe he means a literal musical concept album? I dunno, it might be too constraining for him to label it as such - Boards of Canada always came off as hesitant to say their stuff follows a specitic concept but they'll admit to and allude to dozens if not hundreds of influences and talk about basic ideas and more vague concepts behind the album. i'm sure too for some artists they might find themselves less inspired and making "filler" tracks if they are constraining themselves too much.

tbh "concept album" usually equates to something grandiose and even forced, and often disappointing, especially past the 70s when prog rock bands were cranking them out when it was still novel. i think for artists it's a risky move to say something is a concept album before it's release, the expectations become really high in the process.

well hell he explains it here:

Oneohtrix Point Never: “Nah, it’s more programmatic, less like a concept album. It’s open to outside influences, but they’re vague. A concept album is like ‘The Wall’. There’s a real corniness to how severe the points to that album are made – and how they’re made is so blatant! Those are the tenets of a true concept record – corniness, and a brazen belief in some kind of message you’re giving people. I don’t necessarily think that I have that. It’s just loosely having fun with concepts.”

concept driven, perhaps. in my book it is more or less a concept album, and if tertiary education has taught me anything, it doesn't matter one single fuck what the creator thinks, it's all about how i'm willing to skew it as the receiver. :emotawesomepm9:

that's a good point - in fact that sounds like what 0PN is saying and the perspective i take - the concepts are there for you to relate to and perhaps create your own concept for the whole album. in fact the more vague and open-ended an album is in terms of concept and description, etc. the better, especially with electronic music

i like how didn't try to come up with anything fancy or pretentious to explain the vocals, he's just like I used Plogue speech mother fucker. Other insecure musicians would have posted a youtube video of them doing it on a kyma for no reason (and smarter musicians would have seen the video and thought 'what the fuck this is phony as fuck what are you doing tobin')

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Oneohtrix_Point_Never_interview_750_500_

That shit gets more and more terrifying the longer you look at it. Everything about it is all out of sorts and it's like a nightmare haha

i wonder who took the pictures als is this HDR ?

holy. fucking. shit.

also, I would totally watch that as a season length GoT style series

they really honed in on a lot of gross out and weird ass visuals and aesthetics i recall from nickelodeon and other early to mid-90s kids shows and tv movies - and just really went all out with it

it's not the only inspiration of course but a part of it imo

Edited by joshuatx

holy. fucking. shit.

also, I would totally watch that as a season length GoT style series

they really honed in on a lot of gross out and weird ass visuals and aesthetics i recall from nickelodeon and other early to mid-90s kids shows and tv movies - and just really went all out with it

it's the only inspiration of course but a part of it imo

I was thinking the same thing, especially with all the green goo and the weird studio lighting

i don't know what i just watched.... but vaporwave was just handed a new set of parameters

edit: not implying the album is vaporwave, but you watch a bunch of vaporwave artists now incorporate many of these aesthetic elements

Edited by xf