IGNORED

elseq 1-5

auxien

30 minutes ago, splesh said:

7th Slip! Whoaaaaaa ??? Six and a half minutes is too short!

one of the elseq peaks, no question about it. For five years I have been speculating on a mix that also includes all the variations that emerge in the second half of AE_LIVE, but I must surrender to the evidence that I am not able to do it

On 12/01/2021 at 7:41 PM, Amen Lare said:

You know who else appreciates elseq a lot -- this guy! Every Ae track ranked! Five tracks from elseqs in the top 10.

https://endofreel.medium.com/every-autechre-track-ranked-breaking-down-the-100-greatest-autechre-tracks-5c59c368fbeb

not good

• Like 2

1 hour ago, usagi said:

remember when some people thought all end was a goodbye from the bros and that they were quitting music? I member

heheh

https://forum.watmm.com/topic/94971-autechre-nts-residency-_o_/page/151/?tab=comments#comment-2627897

On 1/12/2021 at 3:41 AM, Amen Lare said:

You know who else appreciates elseq a lot -- this guy! Every Ae track ranked! Five tracks from elseqs in the top 10.

https://endofreel.medium.com/every-autechre-track-ranked-breaking-down-the-100-greatest-autechre-tracks-5c59c368fbeb

That's a lot of effort to have such a wrong opinion  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 2

Damn, that is crazy. Sean, rob lock your doors
  • Haha 2

• 4 months later...

i love el-seq. so many great tracks and after i made a playlist w/all my favs in an order i like it's even better. just so lush and epic and structurally it's quite nice all over the place. 

5 minutes ago, X4creek said:

glad someone bumped this because it's their best album for me

at least for now

For me, too; though truthfully, NTS Sessions is right behind it.

I don't know if I ever appreciated the rave stabs aspect to 13x0 step til now

• Like 2

personally I find in eleseq and NTS some very high moments, eleseq 4 and 5, for example, are peaks in the discography, but in the other chapters there are also areas that I perceive as accessory ... I think the reason is this: those albums were designed to fit exactly that length, this means that, if in the previous, every note was necessary for the structure of the track, in the latter there may be cases in which the need to reach the desired minute overrides the structural rigor... it's not a criticism of the length (i mean, the more the better), but how a practical necessity may have influenced the arrangement. Do not the final 7 minutes of elyc6 0nset exceed a little in self-indulgence? I'm quite sure that if there had not been a duration constraint, the ideas would have been condensed.

having said that, these are huge events, eruptions of ideas and the imposing affirmation of a style, of a vision for sound, which do not exist elsewhere, and like all Autechre's output, they change over time along with my perception

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Draft78 said:

personally I find in eleseq and NTS some very high moments, eleseq 4 and 5, for example, are peaks in the discography, but in the other chapters there are also areas that I perceive as accessory ... I think the reason is this: those albums were designed to fit exactly that length, this means that, if in the previous, every note was necessary for the structure of the track, in the latter there may be cases in which the need to reach the desired minute overrides the structural rigor... it's not a criticism of the length (i mean, the more the better), but how a practical necessity may have influenced the arrangement. Do not the final 7 minutes of elyc6 0nset exceed a little in self-indulgence? I'm quite sure that if there had not been a duration constraint, the ideas would have been condensed.

having said that, these are huge events, eruptions of ideas and the imposing affirmation of a style, of a vision for sound, which do not exist elsewhere, and like all Autechre's output, they change over time along with my perception

ps:

I feel this fact more in elseq than in NTS: in the second, are dilated those pieces that tend to ecstatic,  therefore conditions that make indefinite duration a strong point. Obviously the first example is all end: it does not matter whether it lasts 20 minutes or an hour or more: when you are in, time stops. And my will too.
But also Turbile epic casual or shimpril air could extend to eternity

• 2 weeks later...

Been replaying elseq and NTS.

I love that they take their time to develop, explore and create form in NTS and elseq. Long form is underrated. In very long tracks, if done well, you have enough time to be absorbed into an atmosphere more completely and create various sound architectures. And you can take 6 minutes instead of 1 to build it up. A successful 6 minute build up will hit you in a different way, the tension keeps building up and building up and building up. Some people might find those too long or boring but i really enjoy the attitude those kind of tracks, they have very much a journey kind of vibe, it's about how things evolves and build up and resolve organically. When you succeed in doing that for 20 minutes it's an extraordinary experience.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, thefxbip said:

Been replaying elseq and NTS.

I love that they take their time to develop, explore and create form in NTS and elseq. Long form is underrated. In very long tracks, if done well, you have enough time to be absorbed into an atmosphere more completely and create various sound architectures. And you can take 6 minutes instead of 1 to build it up. A successful 6 minute build up will hit you in a different way, the tension keeps building up and building up and building up. Some people might find those too long or boring but i really enjoy the attitude those kind of tracks, they have very much a journey kind of vibe, it's about how things evolves and build up and resolve organically. When you succeed in doing that for 20 minutes it's an extraordinary experience.

Underrated is overrated. Long-form often gives Stockholm syndrome to its avid listeners.

All end is a good example, nobody cared that much when it was at the end of bladelores years ago, then, by virtue of longevity, title and disposition it became this colossus everybody has in their head.

Historically, when Western composers took on a long-form in the form of symphony for example, it was densely packed by all kinds of movements, which you then could cut out as a shorter piece nicely. The rhythm of life was supposedly way slower, yet they respected the attention. Then, by discovering various folklore practices of the world (from where early minimalism drew heavily, see Giacinto Scelsi or LaMonte Young etc.), it became the norm to dwell on something continuously. The thing is, those practices were author-less multi-generational practices as if carved by evolution, the logic behind it is not easily incorporated into compositions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Amen Lare said:

All end is a good example, nobody cared that much when it was at the end of bladelores years ago, then, by virtue of longevity, title and disposition it became this colossus everybody has in their head.

I don't think this is true. Certainly not in my case. It's always been one of the most fave moments on Exai. And I feel like that section was discussed and appreciated a lot back in the day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Amen Lare said:

Underrated is overrated. Long-form often gives Stockholm syndrome to its avid listeners.

Historically, when Western composers took on a long-form in the form of symphony for example, it was densely packed by all kinds of movements, which you then could cut out as a shorter piece nicely. The rhythm of life was supposedly way slower, yet they respected the attention. Then, by discovering various folklore practices of the world (from where early minimalism drew heavily, see Giacinto Scelsi or LaMonte Young etc.), it became the norm to dwell on something continuously. The thing is, those practices were author-less multi-generational practices as if carved by evolution, the logic behind it is not easily incorporated into compositions.

I like long form for no other reason that i like it for what it is: an extended piece of music that gives itself time to explore possibilities or create a sound architecture or atmosphere. 

I genuinely like extended pieces of music and thats all there is to it, really. Whether its an AE track, a Basinski track, a Morton Subotnick track,a free fusion jazz recordin like Bitches Brew, a Indian classical long improvisation etc etc .I say it's underrated because there is not so many of them around these days and that lots of people have short attention span and consider a 5 minute pieces a long piece.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1

yeh, not gonna lie: tracks like dr dre n marhide offa plus really made me miss the exorbitance of elseq/nts... criminally short. also i tend to listen to the onesix megamix more than individual sets.

the more the merrier, basically. milk it, bros!

• Like 2

On 7/6/2021 at 1:58 PM, jaderpansen said:

yeh, not gonna lie: tracks like dr dre n marhide offa plus really made me miss the exorbitance of elseq/nts... criminally short. also i tend to listen to the onesix megamix more than individual sets.

the more the merrier, basically. milk it, bros!

Better yet, Milk DX it!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've mostly worked my way thru Elseq's and NTS' longform tracks by just focusing on one or two at a time rather than playing the whole EPs/albums at once. I can see both sides of the argument for/against the longforms, but it depends on the track and the balance of elements, and time/place/mood for listening. At the end of the day it's just another compositional option with its own merits.

But lately I've been enjoying a playlist of just the five "bite size" Elseq tracks ie. the ones under seven minutes. Choice of sequencing can vary but in general I like this as an imaginary sort of "traditional" Autechre EP. 

1. Curvcaten
2. Chimer 1-5-1
3. 7th Slip
4. Tbm2
5. Artov Chain

Tbm2 is one that belongs in spirit to the longform family, but it's relatively short so it gets included here.

Has someone else already done this? Seems possible but it's a long ass thread so :shrug:

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Its that well documented phenomena of loving the shit out of the n-2 autechre album.

It is elseq's time.

Had a full run through today which I have not done in a very long time.  All material holds up very well, especially parts 1 and 4 for me.  

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Love the aching trumpet synths that kick off Foldfree Casual, I always picture floating in empty sleep and then this is the soundtrack of entering a beautiful widescreen dream. Blue skies, golden sunshine, silvery rivers all reflecting their light from chimerical cathedrals and spires. A spectacular and emotional track from beginning to end. 

And Latentcall is the perfect follow up track.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Love the aching trumpet synths that kick off Foldfree Casual, I always picture floating in empty sleep and then this is the soundtrack of entering a beautiful widescreen dream. Blue skies, golden sunshine, silvery rivers all reflecting their light from chimerical cathedrals and spires. A spectacular and emotional track from beginning to end. 

And Latentcall is the perfect follow up track.

Foldfree Casual is certainly one of my favs from the whole output

• Like 4