IGNORED

Clark - Totems Flare

o00o

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wonder if he will continue with the vocals. i was so obsessed with this record when it came out and a lot had to do with some of the choruses burrowing into my brain. talis in particular. i felt the 2nd half of the album is so perfectly paced and placed, its incredible.

Yeah I exactly feel the same way. I even cut Talis together with Suns Of Temper (without the noisy beginning, although it's great) and it seems rather like one huge track than two tracks.

When is Clark's Massive Attack remix due? Should be soon, right?

Argh and Clark is going to perform this Saturday in Berlin and I'm away on a family celebration :trashbear: Why can't he tell earlier...

Done and done.

I still haven't given Totems Flare a fair chance. Listening to it now and enjoying m'self quite a bit. Rainbow Voodoo is still so lol, but I'm loling along with it now.

yeah Rainbow Voodoo is just brainless fun. I like it very much for what it is

i wonder if he will continue with the vocals. i was so obsessed with this record when it came out and a lot had to do with some of the choruses burrowing into my brain. talis in particular. i felt the 2nd half of the album is so perfectly paced and placed, its incredible.

Yeah I exactly feel the same way. I even cut Talis together with Suns Of Temper (without the noisy beginning, although it's great) and it seems rather like one huge track than two tracks.

When is Clark's Massive Attack remix due? Should be soon, right?

Argh and Clark is going to perform this Saturday in Berlin and I'm away on a family celebration :trashbear: Why can't he tell earlier...

He could´ve told earlier, but this way I´m seeing Siriusmo and Clark in one week :emotawesomepm9:

Guest Enter a new display name

I debated about moving this, but we really don't move stuff from New and Upcoming Releases for Featured Artists - perhaps we should?

Please do, its countless bumps have been polluting the Upcoming Releases forum for 1.5 year.

I debated about moving this, but we really don't move stuff from New and Upcoming Releases for Featured Artists - perhaps we should?

Please do, its countless bumps have been polluting the Upcoming Releases forum for 1.5 year.

thats because there was no subforum :cisfor:

Probably a good idea in this case considering how long the album's been out.

Here's an idea for future featured artist new releases:

- official thread created/moved to artist subforum.

- sticky & locked thread created in regular new releases forum, directing people to official thread.

- Un-sticky thread about 2 months after official release, perhaps.

• 1 year later...

Its getting old but i still listen to it. I still can't get over the fact that pitchfork gave 5.6 to this release. It is that review that made me give up on reviews. I didnt listen to this album for a while because i thought i would be dissapoint and stuff because of that score, then i downloaded it, and i fuckin loved it, and some months later i bought the cd.

Guest Backson

lol at this and Dragon being bumped.

But yes, a truly grand album. somewhere in my top five. whilst I'm not part of the "fuck hipster pitchfork bullshit" party, I am weary about review sites that attempt to be experts in every genre equally. the fact that this could be a failure and a Lil Wayne album a success only proves that reviews mean less and less to proper fans.

Does anyone know any albums that they would compare to Totems?

• 5 years later...

Been binging on this album last few days. It is honestly one of the most defining albums for me - Body Riddle was very much present throughout my youth as a monolith of good contemporary music, but when Totems Flare came out it just blew my mind. This in my opinion is the peak of Clark's creativity. I understand why he went to the softer and simpler side of his music later on, with Iradelphic and so on, because where can you really go after this. Let's be honest, Aphex also went into a long silence after Drukqs and when he came back with The Tuss and Syro the music was more organised and clean and simple and soft. It seems like both Aphex with Drukqs and Clark with Totems Flare went into a very narrow flow-minded creativity where they just frantically pushed out a tune after tune, with better and better results. I remember Clark saying about TF's making of that it is a blurry memory for him because he was just working nonstop. I also remember Aphex talking in his Syrobonkus interview about almost getting a heart attack while making Mt Saint Michel. You probably can't return to this head place once it is gone. That's why structurality and more chilled approach are probably the next step for these talented mofos after they reached their peak.

Funny, Clark's new album is called Death Peak.

Anyway, wanted to bump this thread just to say that Totems Flare is a very fucking good album!

• 2 years later...

To me, that means that this album's stock has increased on its tenth anniversary, which is causing him to squaredance. 

There's a brain there, not a square....I had totally forgotten that I own this release lol. Will give it a listen tonight.

Haven't listened to it in ages, but I remember liking a handful of tracks and was very bored by the rest. I'll give it another listen.

• 3 months later...

Had this album on just now, it´s still so damn good... Totem Crackerjack is such an amazing high point in this album, it still blows me away every time I listen to it. Definetely one of his best releases

Archived