Free Solo 

Just ridiculous, stupefying, scary and ultimately captivating insight into a seriously weird choice of life. Harder to shrug off what they do, but still, after the thrills and beautiful vistas it just doesn't make sense to risk it all like that. The fucking heights in this, man... His girlfriend seemed naive to the fact everything else will always be second place. I wonder what his life insurance premium is.

Edited by chim
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, chim said:

Free Solo 

Just ridiculous, stupefying, scary and ultimately captivating insight into a seriously weird choice of life. Harder to shrug off what they do, but still, after the thrills and beautiful vistas it just doesn't make sense to risk it all like that. The fucking heights in this, man... His girlfriend seemed naive to the fact everything else will always be second place. I wonder what his life insurance premium is.

+1. It's an awesome and riveting documentary. One of the better ones in recent years. It does help you understand the mindset of someone who would do this kinda thing.

Actually I think I'm go watch it again right now.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 9:37 PM, dr lopez said:

i think uncut gems and the safdies have milleninal nihilism that rubs gen x the wrong way

That begs the question... what does mature angst/nihilism look like?

7 hours ago, dr lopez said:
22 hours ago, cwmbrancity said:

spacer.png

yeah i just saw this on facebook. i guess because he died? weird.

weird²? rip 

last wk iWatched "John Carpenter's Escape From New York" for the 1st tiem since iWas a likkle boi, & ejnoyed it immensely; particularly the wicked sets & vehicles, but also the story's ideas of confinement, + the deleted intro that's on the DVD(:&yutoob:).

spacer.png / 10

On 2/17/2020 at 12:22 AM, Brisbot said:

+1. It's an awesome and riveting documentary. One of the better ones in recent years. It does help you understand the mindset of someone who would do this kinda thing.

Actually I think I'm go watch it again right now.

I've been sorta obsessed with this guy since I saw the doc. It's becoming clearer that he has an incredible, possibly photographic memory and always relies on a structured, methodical approach. Many of his personal variations on various problems are insanely elaborate ways to minimize risks. It probably appears more like a puzzle than an adrenaline thrill to him. His Ted talk shows that super-rehearsed, mechanical delivery in a more naked way since he's so uncomfortable doing it, but still stays on track on the script. Really an astounding athlete, and quite IDM. 

I watched Color out of space, been on a Lovecraft binge lately (books, movies, games). It was mostly fun! The effects are a bit rubbish at times, seems they got a bit over ambitious for the budget. B-movie cosmic horror with all the problems of your standard b-movie, but the good outweighs the bad by a good margin. Well worth a watch if you are into this kind of thing.

Edited by Gocab

spacer.png

The Straight Story (1999)
Director: David Lynch
"An old man makes a long journey by lawnmower to mend his relationship with an ill brother. "

spacer.png

The Remains of the Day (1993)
Director: James Ivory, novel: Kazuo Ishiguro
"A butler who sacrificed body and soul to service in the years leading up to World War II realizes too late how misguided his loyalty was to his lordly employer."

spacer.png

A Scanner Darkly (2006)
Director: Richard Linklater, Novel: Philip K. Dick
"An undercover cop in a not-too-distant future becomes involved with a dangerous new drug and begins to lose his own identity as a result. "

Other films I watched in the last couple of months which I recommend to give a watch, because you never know if one could spike your interest: 
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018), 13 Assassins (2010), The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi (2003), The Sweet Hereafter (1997), Shoplifters (2018), Rocketman (2019), Burning (2018), Leaving Las Vegas (1995), Europa Report (2013), Scarface (1983), Bohemian Rhapsody (2018), Cinderella Man (2005), Office Space (1999), A Star Is Born (2018), The Favourite (2018), Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011), First Man (2018), If Beale Street Could Talk (2018),  Idiocracy (2006), The Jungle Book (2016), and Enter the Dragon (1973).

Other films I watched in the last couple of months which I don't really recommend, but hey, it's only my opinion:
Mary Poppins Returns (2018), Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (2019), Alita: Battle Angel (2019), Us (2019), Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019), The Ritual (2017), 10 Things I Hate About You (1999), Agora (2009), The Clovehitch Killer (2018), The Endless (2017), The Pursuit of Happyness (2006), The Greatest Showman (2017), The Hours (2002), National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989), Kingdom of Heaven (2005), Re-Animator (1985), Annihilation (2018), Spring (2014), Bird Box (2018), Beauty and the Beast (2017), Aladdin (2019), The Lion King (2019), and some superhero-movies not worth mentioning.

Edited by MaartenVC
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Gocab said:

I watched Color out of space, been on a Lovecraft binge lately (books, movies, games). It was mostly fun! The effects are a bit rubbish at times, seems they got a bit over ambitious for the budget. B-movie cosmic horror with all the problems of your standard b-movie, but the good outweighs the bad by a good margin. Well worth a watch if you are into this kind of thing.

unfortunately it was the bad nic cage in this and it spoiled it for me as i did enjoy a lot of it

Best first viewings so far this year:

1. The Dead (John Huston, 1987)

2. Abigail's Party (Mike Leigh, 1977)

3. Hard to Handle: Bob Dylan in Concert (Gillian Armstrong, 1987)

4. The Nightingale (Jennifer Kent, 2019)

5. Bangkok Hilton (Kennedy Miller Productions miniseries, 1989)

6. Penda's Fen (Alan Clarke, 1974)

Best rewatch: Manhunter (saw it many years ago quickly following Red Dragon and back then I was less enthused about Michael Mann, but blew me away this time around, definitely a top-tier work from him)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roo said:

Best first viewings so far this year:

1. The Dead (John Huston, 1987)

2. Abigail's Party (Mike Leigh, 1977)

3. Hard to Handle: Bob Dylan in Concert (Gillian Armstrong, 1987)

4. The Nightingale (Jennifer Kent, 2019)

5. Bangkok Hilton (Kennedy Miller Productions miniseries, 1989)

6. Penda's Fen (Alan Clarke, 1974)

1 & 2 are like surreal twins.