IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

• 1 month later...

just spun this for the first time in a good few years.

while it ain't my personal fav afx record, fuck me dead if that production isn't the most immaculate shit you ever heard.

i don't think anything else in his discography comes close to how unbelievably polished it sounds. it's a proper satisfying album to listen to.

• Like 6

May give it an anniversary spin a bit later. See if a Aphex magic spell happens. So far it hasn't. I would actually like a psychologist to tell me why, because it's genuinely intrigues me. Specially as I like/love almost everything else he's ever done, before or since. 

Edited by beerwolf

I love the album but I usually skip 180db if I'm doing a full listen. It's cool to hear in his live sets but doesn't really fit the album. Definitely should've replaced it with end E2 and/or MARCHROMT30A and put 180db on orphaned deejay selek.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, DavieAddison said:

I love the album but I usually skip 180db if I'm doing a full listen. It's cool to hear in his live sets but doesn't really fit the album. Definitely should've replaced it with end E2 and/or MARCHROMT30A and put 180db on orphaned deejay selek.

i love 180db but you are correct

• Like 2

Nobody is going to mention the 3D animated Blimp shit and all that jazz that was going on from Aphex Twin instagram account? 

Was it official? Is it Warp behind the account or what?

Anyone got the videos? 

1 hour ago, cern said:

Nobody is going to mention the 3D animated Blimp shit and all that jazz that was going on from Aphex Twin instagram account? 

Anyone got the videos? 

Limmy - Twitch

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

i guess Syro is 10yrs old now? 

i checked and i'm still alive, such as it is.. so this must be the thing. happy 10 to syro..  maybe release some more stuff Richard? pretend Tom is asking nicely and give us a surprise. 

On 9/20/2024 at 5:49 PM, DavieAddison said:

MARCHROMT30A is so good I would by an Aphex triple vinyl LP that only had that track on. It's by far the best Aphex track since Rushup Edge. Several leagues above everything he has released since 2007.

180db would be a muxh better fit on Orphaned now you mention it.

• Like 3

MARCHROMT30A .  Sounds like a dilapidated fart when the beat kicks in.  Too many effects on the kick.  The tune itself is pretty strong but wouldn't rate it as one of his better works.

MARCHROMAT30a is decent, but the ideas in it are far better than the execution. it could've been a masterpiece if he'd cut all the silly shit (and the ideas that ended up elsewhere on Syro) & spent some more time working on the progressions/songform. he got hung up on making weird noises and it deserves to be a b-side.

• Like 1

Marchromt feels like a future-future Crazy Sneaker to me, which means quite good in my book.

Now, can someone be kind enough to browse through the 372 previous pages of this thread to dig out the video of one of us getting out of their car in the middle of a desert road to beatbox 180db?

Syro didn't resonate so much for the first few listens back in 2014, but it's opened up to me a lot since then. Everybody wants another drukQs-style album (myself included) but he may have said all there was to see in that drill style and moved on from it.

• Like 4

Syro is a wierd album, a troll album 🤨

But man did he spoil us with all the rest after it? Sounddump, ep's', unreleased traxxx

Hail syro 🙋🏿‍♂️, may we ever get blessed again with a new afx full lenght

• Like 1

I think Syro may be one of the best sounding electronic albums ever, mixing and mastering wise. Dynamic, yet there is this sheen where the treble and transients seem softer, maybe some analog saturation? Hard to describe. It's like magic.

As for the songs, it's sooo dense and layered. A lifetime of discovery in there.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, cern said:

Anyone got the videos? 

@instaphex is just a fan account. From what I understand it was his official account for a while (as it used to be verified) but it was hacked at some point, causing Warp to lose access, which is why @aphextwin.afx is now his official account over there.

• Thanks 1

https://web.archive.org/web/20141110222421/http://noyzelab.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/syrobonkers-part2.html

When you have 64+ channels of vintage equipment as was the case in some of the tracks especially track2, there is A LOT of noise generated, I used A LOT of noise gates, my fave being some EMT ones which are like LPF/gate hybrids, they have that lush LPF roll off rather than a volume fade, very sexual.to my eears
But I use several different types,
none of the tracks on syro were multi tracked into the computer , they were all recorded live to 2 track, which is kinda insane but the way i like it.
Its done then , you have to get it right , theres no fixing it afterwards, theres no edits on any of the tracks apart from the Marchrom , which is made from multiple takes with a load of different Eventide 3000 dse fx.        :aphexsign:-Aphex Twin SYROBONKERS! Interview - Part 2

• Like 8

If I had to use one word to describe Syro, I think it would have to be "subtle"

I think a lot of what makes it such a great record would be difficult to appreciate, or even notice, without a very deep understanding of how electronic music is made.

I'm not saying that's a good thing, necessarily..  But I would say Syro is, by a very large distance, the most complex and intricate recording Rich has ever released.  DrukQs doesn't even come close.

• Like 1